Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Roadie lens recommendation please
  • cinnamon_girl

Needs to be Oakley and can cope with overhanging trees on the roads. Getting paranoid about hitting pot holes with current lens colour.

Thanks. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IMHO, the best all round lens is VR28.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks. It looks rather dark and am just wondering whether I have that in a non-cycling pair. Currently use a pinkish tinge and that’s fine off road.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I have yellow for low light which I use both on and off road and a very dark for sunny/bright days in my jawbones. I have VR28 in my snowboarding goggles and they are excellent all rounders apart from flat light on the snow where a persimmon lens would be better, so would be a pretty good roadie lens IMHO. Hope that helps 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

VR28 is good for almost any daylight conditions. It’s not too dark for the woods, but equally dark enough for the sunlit uplands.

Only times I don’t use it on the bike are;
    When I’m wearing my Persimmon to Black Iridium Transitions
    Night rides
    Really bad winter rides, when I use either clear or Persimmon.

In short, VR28 is my primary lens. It really is rather excellent.

cinnamon_girl

OK, good info so thanks chaps. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IIRC, the snow lenses are slightly different tints in terms of the amount of positive contrast, as a pure white location needs more. I still have a lovely original M Frame Blue iridium lens for high summer days on the chalk of the Plain for that very reason. However, CG, just go and buy a VR28 lens, trust me!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use the Grey Polarised ones here as my all rounder on the road. Ride a lot of country roads and use to have problems with light under overhanging branches and road glare with my cheaper shades. Not even thought about it since I got the Oakleys, brilliant lenses.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

VR28 is good but I prefer G30. Similar pink tint but a little lighter and, more importantly, a blue iridium finish so they look really cool. everything looks happy through these.

I have grey polarised and found them difficult to ride with – they make manhole covers and patches of tarmac look shiny and odd.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed re not liking polarised lenses on road.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious. I really rate my Grey Polarized. Horrendous road glare with my old shades was the thing that convinced me get the polarized lenses and they’re brilliant for that. Having said that, they are my first pair of Oalkeys in many years and I’m comparing them to my old cheap rubbish lenses and they are a million times better! Be interesting to try the VR28 to see if they are even better.

By the way CF, what are the transition ones like?

a blue iridium finish so they look really cool.

Actually, that is one of the things that put me off some of the other lenses. Not keen on the look of some of the finishes 😕

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I rate the grey polarised for everything else, including driving – i only seem to get the odd shine when on the bike.

For everything else, i think they are the best lens for the UK. not too dark to wear on those bright overcast days, but dark enough for the middle of summer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

By the way CF, what are the transition ones like?

Seriously impressive. However, I have the lamentably short lived Persimmon to Black Iridium variant. Loads of positive contrast Persimmon down low, to something very close to a true Black Iridium for the super bright. Mrs CFH likes to ski with that lens, in the blazing sun of Serre Che. It’s very good, but sadly all too rare.

darrell
    Free Member

i use persimmon or clear if it’s dull

iridium otherwise, on the one other day per year

monkeychild
    Free Member

G30 +1 here too. My favourite lense, as it works from dusk til dawn.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Monkeychild, should that not be dawn till dusk? 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Roadie lens recommendation please’ is closed to new replies.