Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roadie helmets off road?
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Is there any reason not to wear road oriented helmets off road? I'm in need of a new helmet and as an all round cyclist, I'm thinking of getting a Giro Atmos or something similar. Do they not offer the same level of protection off road? I notice most XC racers seem to use road style helmets.

sssimon
    Free Member

depends how G-narly you are, I wear my road helmet off road because it's lighter and more comfortable

they offer the same protection but don't have a peak, a lot of road and mtb helmets use the same mould and the peak is the only difference

oldgit
    Free Member

I use an Atmos. If you watch the video of the cavendish crash you'll see some high speed head tarmac interfaces. That'll do for me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I use a Spesh 2D which seems to be as "accepted" by roadies as it is by MTBers – just remove the peak for road riding (or it gets in the way)!

njee20
    Free Member

You'll be fine, I've used a Pneumo and an Atmos off road, I now use 2Ds, but don't have the peak on anyway, they're annoying and achieve nothing!

As an aside… try the 2D and the Atmos before you buy, the Atmos has some hard 'ridges' in the top which can dig into your head, the 2D is also far far lighter and IMO more comfortable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fashion like much MTB stuff

samuri
    Free Member

There's a difference between roadie and MTB helmets?

convert

My Fox Flux helmet has much better protection around the back of my head than my giro roadie job so gets worn when the chances of falling off are higher, about the same time I consider shin/leg/arm protection. My giro pneumo is now helmet of choice at other times, especially when keeping cool with hard aerobic efforts is important. Mind you I'm a lycra kind of guy off road until it becomes armour time and a big lid and spandex would look daft.

njee20
    Free Member

There's a difference between roadie and MTB helmets?

A peak, that's about it! Unless we get into the Xen/Hex/Flux style helmets.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I've got a Bell Volt which has a removable peak so is classed as for both. Also have a Xen but at the moment find myself wearing the Volt more as it's considerably more comfortable.

jonb
    Free Member

My "race" lid is a roadie helmet. I actually think they look better than the peaked ones. It's a Bell something or other. Has a removable peak that I never use.

As far as I'm aware both helmets are tested the same standards so most of the beefits of extra protection in mtb helmets would be anecdotal rather than scientific.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

No reason at all not to wear one. I find a peak handy for glare and rain protection sometimes. Unfortunately when on my roadbike it would obscure my vision and this was the original reason for the difference which has eventually slipped into a fashion one.

rootes1

fashion…

Giro Saros – 'Road'

add a peak result in the 'gnarly' mtb version…. athlon

I bought a saros and saved the tenner

g-dawg
    Free Member

Dont ask me why but I remove the peak for road riding and put it back on off-road ! 2 helmets for the price of 1 !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roadie helmets off road?’ is closed to new replies.