Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadie Groupset question – triple to double
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

I am going to switch my Giant Defy from a Triple set up to a Double.
    I am swapping out the rear mech to a short cage, have a double crankset, a double BB,new double FD, new chain and new casstte.

The only original piece I'm keeping is the SORA Triple STI. Which is where I think I'll get the problems. I don't know how I can get the shifter to work with the double FD. How do I eliminate the third click on the shifter? I have read that you can "trim" the FD but I don't know what this means.

Will the double FD only work for 2 clicks with the 3rd click being inherently redundant?

nockmeister
    Free Member

Trimming = Using the Hi and Lo adjusters on ur FD will physically stop the mech from moving past a certain point eg beyond ur second ring…

brassneck

Works just fine, I have the same setup (might be Tiagra shifters, can't remember) and you don't even notice the extra click really.

Set the trim as indicated above, and enjoy the now silent shifting and generally better chainline.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just took my small chainring off.

Simples!

ourmaninthenorth

Ignoring Al, who clearly isn't going to get a rise to his roadie baiting.. 😉

brassneck and nockmeister are right. It's alin the front mech limit screws. I *think* I used the "inner" and "middle" shift points on my (Ultegra) shifter to work for smal and big ring ion the double set up.

baldSpot
    Free Member

OK, sounds like its gonna work as long as I set the trim right. Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

You set the two rings on a double up to be the outer and middle, NOT the inner and middle – you'll break your shifters if you do this. Might take two years, might take two rides..

It also works better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My cheeky post was along the lines of "what's the point in new mechs, chainset and BB?"…if it's anything other than "looks right", "saves x gm in weight" or "better chain line" I'd genuinely like to know.

I'd agree it's about the low limit stop and using the sti so that it's not under stress as Clubber says.

baldSpot
    Free Member

one reason is that i'll be moving away from heavy, cheap, square taper set up. main reason is that it'll look better 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother with new rear mech btw, but front mechs are quite different between double and triple.

baldSpot
    Free Member

gonna swap out the entire Triple drivetrain and keep it for when I (if ever) go touring.

ourmaninthenorth

You set the two rings on a double up to be the outer and middle, NOT the inner and middle – you'll break your shifters if you do this. Might take two years, might take two rides.

News to me. If I get round to changing this, I'll do something about it.

Spend most of the time in the big ring anyway… 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

That's the problem OMITN – the cable is under too much tension in teh big ring (I think).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Groupset question – triple to double’ is closed to new replies.