Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Roadie Gears 10sp vs 9sp, compacts and failing to man up
  • trb
    Free Member

So after 6 years of manning up with a standard 53/39 chainset and gurning up the hills on my road bike, I find myself admitting defeat and looking for a compact.

Simple question before I hit the buy button, If I buy a Tiagra or 105 compact 10 sp crank set, is it compatable with my 9 speed cassette and chain?

crikey
    Free Member

Yes. You’ll end up with a chain that’s a bit too long, but if you couldn’t be arsed looking for your chain tool, like me, and left it, after a bit you wouldn’t notice it.

trb
    Free Member

lovely job. Spinning up hills in the saddle here we come!

scaredypants

you’ll just gurn at a lower speed

ransos
    Free Member

I have a compact, and I don’t like the massive jump between the front rings.

mboy
    Free Member

you’ll just gurn at a lower speed

What he said

You’ll only be dropping your bottom gear by about 15% or thereabouts, it’s not going to be massive. It’ll make it a bit easier, but if you actually want to spin up hills you’ll be looking at a triple up front with a mountain bike cassette and rear mech!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What scaredypants said.

elliptic
    Free Member

I have a compact, and I *do* like the massive jump between front rings.

…if I only want a small jump I use the rear shifter 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Likewise – I’ve kinda solved that by going compact, but with 50/38 rings and 12/25 cassette. It’s a pretty even spread across the rings/block. No, bottom gear isn’t massively low (could be solved with a 37 or 36 ring) but for me, just bimbling along to work, it was more about smoothing the hills a little more whilst swapping the massive top gears of 53/11 for a more even spread.

trb
    Free Member

You’ll only be dropping your bottom gear by about 15% or thereabouts

That’s cool, I only really want 1 more lower gear anyway, and I already have a 11-27 cassette, I’m going to have to stop blaming my kit and start balming myself if that isn’t low enough.
    My riding buddy has just gone all Strava on me so we’re currently trying to beat 95th on the local climb.

but if you actually want to spin up hills you’ll be looking at a triple up front with a mountain bike cassette and rear mech!

Yeah I know, but putting slicks on my MTB would be really admitting defeat.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a compact, and I *do* like the massive jump between front rings.

The jump between rings necessitates moving 2 or 3 gears at the back at the same time. I suppose if your pedalling style is particularly rough it wouldn’t bother you too much.

Likewise – I’ve kinda solved that by going compact, but with 50/38 rings and 12/25 cassette.

Good idea. When I’ve got a bit more wear out the rings, I plan to change to 48/36 with an 11-26 block. 48/11 is about the same as 53/12, so plenty big enough.

elliptic
    Free Member

The jump between rings necessitates moving 2 or 3 gears at the back at the same time.

Yep, like my mountain bike. The way I solve this is by moving 2 or 3 gears at the back at the same time.

I suppose if your pedalling style is particularly rough it wouldn’t bother you too much.

Dunno about that…but I suppose if you’re chopping and changing between front rings all the time it *would* bother you…

the-muffin-man

I have a Tiagra triple chainset – it’s great!

Good spread of gears and no big gaps.

….I’ll get my coat!

ransos
    Free Member

Yep, like my mountain bike. The way I solve this is by moving 2 or 3 gears at the back at the same time.

Alternatively, a triple on an MTB and standard double on a road bike means no need to change at the back. But well done for so cleverly solving a problem that doesn’t need to exist.

Dunno about that…but I suppose if you’re chopping and changing between front rings all the time it *would* bother you…

If there isn’t a problem, as you suggest, then why would repeated front changes be an issue?

Haze

Changed from 50/34 and 12-27 to 50/36 with 11-23 on the back, things feel a bit smoother now.

oldgit
    Free Member

You can use a SRAM chainset if you want, just think they are a better offering at that level.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Gears 10sp vs 9sp, compacts and failing to man up’ is closed to new replies.