Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Roadie etiquette
  • lazybike
    Free Member

As L.A. said, some days your the hammer, some days your the nail. Doesn’t really matter its just pedalling…. 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

Half wheeling is the worst thing though, caught a guy at some lights the other day, he was on a Cervelo so you can already imagine what he’s like (think Audi driver), he didn’t remove his headphones so couldn’t hear me when I started talking, he then just rode along side me pushing harder and harder with the speed getting higher and higher…clearly a fool

I agree that half wheeling on a group ride is not the done thing, but it sounds like this guy was a bit quicker than you and just wasn’t in the mood for a companion on his ride thet day. If it was me in his shoes though I would have made some sort of excuse for my slowness and let you go off ahead of me, or taken a different route at the earliest opportunity

scaredypants

he then just rode along side me pushing harder and harder with the speed getting higher and higher…clearly a fool

maybe just wanting to ride at a higher pace and ease past you but you kept speeding up and not letting him past ?
    Like cars on motorways, you can ease some up to about 90 if you just gradually speed up rather than “blast” past

monkeychild
    Free Member

Last time I drafted someone (usually a lone wolf :D) was on the Lincs 100 mile sportive and I was in rag order (don’t ask), I politely asked if he didn’t mind me sitting on his wheel.
    If someone wants to sit on my wheel, I don’t mind as it doesn’t affect me in any way. Maybe I am too nice 😀

Haze

I’ve had someone pass me with a “morning” whilst I was taking a breather, eventually caught up (not intentionally) and sat behind at a reasonable distance for a bit before deciding I wanted to ride quicker along a stretch of road I know and like.

Overtook and offered him my wheel for a bit, checked over my shoulder a short while after but he was gone. Felt a bit embarrased to be honest as I’d not intended to prove anything.

(having said that he’d probably turned off!)

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you’re going to pass someone get it over and done with instead of fannying about beside them (unless you’re having a chat).

There’s a guy on my commute who’s just appeared in the past few weeks and boy does he hate being passed. Goes up the inside at every set of traffic lights so he gets in front of me, set off at a too slow pace, I pass and the same happens again and again. He’s really starting to piss me off.

Paased him last night and he was going a fair bit slower than me, turned round a few minutes later and he was desperately trying to get on my wheel. Whats all that about, ride at your own pace ffs don’t suddenly up your pace by 5mph just because you’ve been passed.

Now I like to catch up with people on my commute but if I see someone I don’t generally up my pace to catch them and if I get passed then I let the other rider get on with their thing. Unless of course its one of these riders that puts all their effort in to pass you then die a death as soon as they do.

Felt a bit embarrased to be honest as I’d not intended to prove anything

Nothing to be embarrased about, sometimes I dawdle for a bit on the commute, have a stretch and a drink, then up the pace again. If I get passed when I’m taking a breather and continue at my original pace then its not an issue.

jameso

he realised he’d got both the Schleck brothers

Bet that was a suprise ) I was labouring up the Lautaret alone once and saw a couple of team-kit roadies behind out of the corner of my eye, so I got a ‘pace’ on.. then felt daft as half the F de Jeux team swarmed past effortlessly a few seconds later, followed by a team car. Out training I presume )

tracknicko
    Free Member

half wheeling is quite a funny concept at times.

often i feel folks should indeed just let the person past. i mean.. who’s half wheeling who if you (on the inside) keep speeding up?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Last week I was out on a training ride which involved 20 min Z4 blocks. About 5 minutes into my second set I saw a rider pull out in front of me on an s-works tarmac with deep section carbon wheels and dressed in team kit.

As I was doing around 23/24 mph I new I would catch him. Unfortunately for me I caught him just as he was reaching him own pace, which was very similar to mine. I carried on and I sensed he was not far behind me, but far enough not to get a tow. I got the impression he was holding that distance deliberately to see how long I could hold that pace before I blew. 👿

I wanted to look behind me but you know you just can’t. Anyway, 20 minutes later he was still there and I’m 25 minutes into a 20 minute block, now in Z5 and absolutely knackered so I had to make an excuse to stop for a pee. He passed me looking like he wasn’t even trying. 😐

coffeeking
    Free Member

Last time I passed a roadie and felt rather good about myself and then met up with him at some lights further on I had a bit of a chat to him. He’s already put in 60 miles before I just about struggled past him!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Polite and considerate people ride as such, rude insecure people do the same.

I wouldn’t read into the “morning!”, just return it. Egotistical riders will be just that and overtake for the sake of it, half wheeling someone is a d*ck move unless you know each other or you’re racing.

Maybe if you’re taking over to give them a break, let them know as you pass or it may look like you’re trying to defend your position in front?

edlong
    Free Member

I find being slow as f*** avoids me having to worry about the etiquette of passing anyone, since I rarely do.

mcboo
    Free Member

Cut the willy waving. If it aint on Strava it didnt happen.

zippykona

Was going to get Strava but the satellites can’t keep up with me.

m1kea
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

I once had a guy on a TT bike draft me for a couple of miles

Eventually he went past really quite fast so I sped up to get his wheel. Within about 5 seconds he braked to a stop (me nearly hitting him) and said “this is where I live”

That’s just rude on his part. I’d never draft someone without drawing alongside and exchanging pleasantries and asking to ride along with someone, especially when on the TT wagon.

Full on wheel sucking is only allowed when doing a team time trial.

Here are my snaps from the 8 up TTT tribute weekend for our clubmate Brian Phillips who sadly died on this event last year.

We had two former world champions ride on the team; Michele Bartoli and Andy Pitt, and a former TDF yellow jersey holder, though Sean didn’t ride. Not bad going for a small Sussex club. 😉

Oh and in there you’ll also spot some slaphead muppet with a camera who’s not much cop riding in a team as was witnessed on Sunday

paddy0091
    Free Member

@ scaredypants. Nah, I dropped him after doing a few minutes at full tilt so I’d doubt that. Didn’t want to mention that though in case it sounded like an ego trip 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m the 5th fastest man in Hampstead.

Posh and hardcore.

Suck on that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I remember drafting an old lady on a shopping bike,just to get home…Rested a bit,felt better,went on

I remember her post on here afterwards. She wasn’t happy.

thanks, laptop now covered in spat coffee….

If I catch/pass someone I will always so hi as I’ve met someone with similar interests, to show (if I am passing) that I’m not trying to prove anything. As the granny drafter (would make a great user name) said, I’ve no idea about their situation so wheres the reward in “beating” them? They might have just done a 150miles, it might be their first ride back from injury, it might be a recovery ride from some epic, it might be a snatched hour pootle to clear their head of work or family related stress.

Same goes when I’m out on my motorbike, a cheery relaxed wave to show I’m not after a race.

mjsmke

So whats wrong with someone sitting on your wheel for a short time then go past? It doesnt bother me at all. I’ve done the same on a long road ride if i feel tired then overtake and say hi.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Roadie etiquette’ is closed to new replies.