Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Roadie Drivetrain Help
  • roach

Hi folks,

I’ve just built up a Planet X SL Pro Carbon jobbie as my new road bike. I’ve built quite a few mountain and road bikes over the years but never had this problem. It has a FSA Gossamer MegaExo compact crankset, 10 speed ultrega chain, 10 speed Ultegra Rear and front mech. I’ve adjusted the limit screws, b screw etc so that it should pedal nice and smoothly, but when I’m in the big ring front and little on the back there seems to be a cruching coming from the chainset or chain. I can’t see that it’s rubbing on the front mech, it seems to be where the chain is loading onto the chainset?

Sorry for the long post!

Any ideas???

Cheers

snaps
    Free Member

Can you not ask road bike questions on a road bike forum?

sofatester
    Free Member

Are all the components new?

Futureboy77

“Can you not ask road bike questions on a road bike forum?”

Jeez….it’s all bikes!!!

roach

Yes they’re all new mate.

ac282

Are you sure you’ve threaded the chain through the front and rear mech correctly?

(I know it sounds stupid but I’ve made that mistake before)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I’d check the alignment of everything again, and that the chainline is spot on.

Is is a continuous noise for the full revolution of the chainset? If so, you’ve probably put something on incorrectly. If it’s only a particular point of the revolution, then it’s the chainring / spider is misaligned or bent.

Also might be worth checking you’ve put the correct spacing on the rear hub, as it may be dragging on the inside of the dropout if you haven’t.

Oh, and Snaps, of course you can, but as a road rider as well, I’m happy to help on something like this, as clearly others are. Could you not respond on a grumpykid forum?

snaps
    Free Member

‘Jeez….it’s all bikes!!!’
    But there are roadbike forums where you’d be likely to get a better answer.
    ‘Could you not respond on a grumpykid forum?’
    Not heard of it – are you on there?

mudshark
    Free Member

People ask about plumbing here so I’m sure asking about road bikes is OK! Loads of us ride them you know….

snaps
    Free Member

And loads of us don’t – thats why we frequent MTB forums not general cycling forums

mudshark
    Free Member

You is ugly.

snaps
    Free Member

Yawn…..

colnagokid

Snaps, why not just ignore the post if it upsets you so much? 😉
    Roach, chain routed thru’ rear mech correctly? Try adjusting front mech ‘out’ a bit in case the chainset is flexing abit, and rubbing on the cage

pk-ripper
    Free Member

why would you be likely to get a better answer on a road bike forum than here? Being as I ride and race road bikes, and I know plenty on here do as well, I would imagine we’ve come across 99% of issues with them.

But if you want to niche yourself to purely a mountain biker, that’s your business I guess.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Could be the chain is too long and maybe pulling the top jockey wheel up close enough to the cassette to rub in that particular combo.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Or rear mech needs that tension adjusting screw in the back tweaking to pull the jockey wheels down and out a bit…

roach

Forgot to say it only happens in the bottom cogs and the large ring??

Thanks for info so far guys!

ski
    Free Member

Could it be a stiff link on the chain?

snaps
    Free Member

‘Snaps, why not just ignore the post if it upsets you so much?’
    Thats the whole point of it being a MTB forum – we shouldn’t have to ignore them because they shouldn’t be here.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

might i suggest anger management forums then?

roach

But Snaps, they’ve had road articles in the mag though.

roach

But Snaps, they’ve had road articles in the mag though.

roach

Oops

JoB
    Free Member

we shouldn’t have to ignore them because they shouldn’t be here.

like threads about pubs, boilers and power tools, that you’ve happily answered to eh snaps?

snaps
    Free Member

roach – I wasn’t aware of that.
    This subject came up after the hack & it was generally agreed that this forum was MTB only & that the occasional roadie question in the chat forum was not a problem, also I’m sure you’d get better answers to your questions from roadies rather than MTBer who might occasionally ride a road bike.
    I wouldn’t dream of asking a Road racing motorcycle question on a Motocross forum.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware of any general agreement. That may have been concluded by certain members in a particular thread, and perhaps even with a suggestion from stw towers that it is predominantly a mountain bike site, but ultimately it’s discretionary.

ultimately on a motorcross / road motorbike forum side of things you’re likely to have a wider proliferation of technology and solutions. Realistically, it’s only the frames and wheels that differ to any extent between road and mountain bikes, gearing etc is vastly the same.

Oh, and I don’t “occasionally” ride a road bike – 70-80% of my riding is road riding.

traildog
    Free Member

Surely the fact that it’s a ‘road bike’ is totally irrelevant. Gears is gears..
    My guess is that it’s just catching the front mech. Try adjusting the high screw on it? Or is it catching on the frame?

roach

I’ll have another look tonight. Cheers again

KINGTUT
    Free Member

From the forum rules;

What topics are suitable for discussion?

We have two discussion forums and classified ad forum.

Topics on the Bike forum should be restricted to discussion about bikes. A non exhaustive list of allowed topics include, bikes, components, rides, biking holidays, travel, mags…. Without stating the bleeding obvious we will assume you get the idea..

It says bikes, it makes no mention of specific types.

Now stop ya whinging.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

this is, the shifting my tricycle’s playing up. Is it alright to ask on here, or will I get flamed? 😆

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Forgot to say it only happens in the bottom cogs and the large ring??

Thta’ll be your problem then. Cross chaining the drive train will knacker it reet quick. The chain will be hitting the big ring teeth at a funny angle and then clicking slightly as they seat onto it.

A new (non-sloppy, still laterally stiff) chain will exacerbate the problem, and maybe the chainstays on your new bike are a little shorter than the old one, so the angle is a fraction more acute.

snaps
    Free Member

What does it says at the top of the page?
    MOUNTAIN BIKE MAGAZINE

pk-ripper
    Free Member

look what it says at the top of the page also: BIKE FORUM

I draw your attention to the fact that the magazine is a mountain bike magazine, and the forum is complimentary, but not necessarily identical in content.

roach

Big ring front small rings back. The chain line is off when in these rings as it should be, but could the chain just need to be a bit sloppier when it wears in?

MrSmith
    Free Member

it also says “singletrack” so double track bridleways are not to be mentioned.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Drivetrain Help’ is closed to new replies.