Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • roadie advice pls
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

after some advice, looking at getting into road riding a bit more, not competing just trying to improve times, get a bit fitter.

from sitting on a few and taking a couple out, it appears that i like a more relaxed position, and to be honest i am happiest on flatbars, but here are the options (i am 5,5 btw!)

2nd hand giant tcr but not with the carbon wheels as pictured (been offered some xero xr1 wheels) campag xenon kit £400

or the giant defy 4 £475 new at the local bikeshop

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/EN-GB/bikes/road/2428/32463/

2200 kit and not great wheels, but upgradeable frame?

or the fcr 3 again at the lbs for £500

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/EN-GB/bikes/road/2431/32468/

again 2200 kit but the flatbar position which i seek

I do like the look of the giants, and the defy has a nice relaxed position…..

any thoughts?

nickc

TCR is nice.

Flat bar road bikes look a bit…erm…amateur? (sorry, very snobbish, but there you go)

timdrayton
    Free Member

nickc do you reckon thats an ok price then at £400? (bear in mind the carbon wheels are coming off and some xero ones going on)

righty
    Free Member

get drop bars you will get used to them and appreciate love that they allow so many hand positions, honking up hills will get you fit in no time, this involves holding the lever hoods- not really the same with flat bar and bar ends.
    If you want relaxed buy a tourer 🙂 if you want brilliant handling, speed and responsiveness buy a road bike

righty
    Free Member

I’d go for the giant or look around for more 2nd hand bargains you will get a lot more( and lighter) bike for your money

ianpv
    Free Member

That TCR is pretty aggressively set up, flip the stem and it will feel much more relaxed – you’ll be more likely to use the hoods and drops if they’re comfortable. You don’t want flat bars on a road bike – you’ll be wider, most likely higher and noticeably slower as a result.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

How much time have you spent on drops? For a while they seem pointless, then it’ll suddenly click and you’ll adore having approx 1438 different hand positions. I find them far comfier than flat bars too.

As regards bikes, budget kit on the road is OK. Less slick, but all road kit last much longer on the road, as it dosn’t get trashed like MTB kit. That said you’ll still get more for your money secondhand, provided you’re certain the bike fits you. Looks like it has been well looked after.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

That TCR is pretty aggressively set up, flip the stem and it will feel much more relaxed

Very good point, there are a few thing you could do there that’d make that bike feel a bit more like home. Those bars are a very deep drop for a small bike and short owner too. Some shallower non ergo bend drops fitted a bit higher would probably make it feel 100% better, and you’d be able to use the drops without having to remove ribs.

nickc

the TCR is a bit on the expensive side, but as long as the frame’s sound, the kits better than those new ones. it’ll weigh a bit less too.

maxlite
    Free Member

2nd the TCR

You can ride in far more hand positions on drops, best thing I ever bought were some shallow drop bars (Pro PLT), shifters/reach/drop are closer.

You could also get some ‘slim shims’ (made by specialized, but check on shifter model) for the shifters which bring the lever even closer.

I’m 5,4!

Digimap
    Free Member

TCR is a good choice for a smaller rider. The sloping top tube helps and the overall frame design is relatively compact for all sizes. They only do stock sizes like small, medium rather than sizing in cm’s so you might be lucky/unlucky on fit.

Xenon is OK, decent new bikes with xenon tend to be around £550-£600 mark. There are no xenon brakes in the groupset so check what they are (normally mirage). The campag brake hoods are excellent for small hands. In my experience some of the xenon bits can rust here and there as they do contain some steel. £400 seems upper end of reasonable provided it’s in good shape with no crash damage.

MrSmith
    Free Member

from sitting on a few and taking a couple out, it appears that i like a more relaxed position

as you ride more you will get used to riding in a lower position, well you will if you like to go fast.
    +1 to what people have said about those bars, either some traditional shallow drops or new shallow ergo bends that fsa do will be much better.

timdrayton
    Free Member

nice one guys, good solid advice!

I had a bike with drops last year for a month or two, probably didnt give it long enough, and they were deep ergo drops.

im just twitching a bit about paying £400 for what i reckon to be a 2002 frameset, with lowish end campag kit…. the guy reckons he is 2nd owner, and it only has 500 miles on it, but…

carbon stem and seatpost tho!

i’ll go and have a look me thinks

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well it is a bit steep. I’d make him an offer.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Trouble with used road bikes is things wear out. On mountain bikes (mine anyway) they tend to break first.
    If you’re looking at a used one, check out the chain and cogs and all the bearings, tyre tread, brake pads, etc., for wear.
    My other piece of advice is to make sure the bike fits. You tend to spend a lot of time in the same position and can get uncompfortable if you’re not dialed in.

MTT
    Free Member

I have a bike fit calculator somewhere, its surprisingly good, its not commercial but made by a bloke on WeightWeenies. I will mail it to you if you want it.

Philby

Fit is the most important thing on any road bike, so if you don’t feel comfortable don’t bother buying it.

2nd hand Giant seems slightly expensive, and if stuff is worn out could cost several hundred to replace with new.

timdrayton
    Free Member

mtt yes pls

emails laura.pell1@ntlworld.com

cheers

tim

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘roadie advice pls’ is closed to new replies.