Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • road/cross tubs-changing them and merits/pitfalls?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Found someone who’s selling some wheels that I want the hubs from to build up for my cross bike. The guys has said instead of splitting the wheels would I want some cross tub tyres and run them tubular.

However, this bike will be getting used as a road bike as I’m aiming to do couple of triathlons next year and I thought the cost of road tubs plus the faff changing tyres not just changing from cross to road tyres but also if I were to have a puncture in a tri mans it’s prob not worth it.

Is that the case? Am I missing a cracking opportunity to play with tubs (which I am intrigued by but in no way does my riding warrant them)

ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried them, they ride beautifully but I never got past the puncture hassle. I did gel one in the first few rides though!

oldgit
    Free Member

Whoa there if you puncture in a Tri using tubs just bung another one on. No need for levers, pull off put on Co2 it and off you go.

But you want a pre used tub as a spare, the glue on it will be enough to hold it.
    If you wanted them for training, then perhaps not worth it but for race days ideal.

fontmoss
    Free Member

that means 3 tub tyres, even more money!

but that makes sense i guess although it should be pointed out i won’t really be ‘racing’

starting to lean towards tubs if can find some cheap road tyres…

njee20
    Free Member

Conti Sprinters are cheap, and last well.

Tubs are a real faff though, even with a pre-glued one it’s quicker to change a clincher, spare tubs are much harder to carry than tubes too.

Duc
    Free Member

Vittoria Rally’s are cheap enough to run as spares

Vredestein tubs are very good too

fontmoss
    Free Member

oh and if i am to use tubs ill need some guidance on how to get the buggers on and off

found this

fontmoss
    Free Member

I’m not sure im ready for this level of commitment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘road/cross tubs-changing them and merits/pitfalls?’ is closed to new replies.