Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road/Cross bikes. Discounted? If so, when?
  • chestrockwell

Hello all. Still thinking about taking the plunge on a road/cross bike and I am currently in a C2W window. I’m currently eyeing up a discounted Orange RX9s that I know is not everyone’s cup of tea but comes in cheap enough not to worry, especially as I’m a fanboi and it’ll match my 5 29 and Clockwork. 😳

Anyway, the other option seems to be the Giant Defy. I’d like discs so the Defy Disc 1 fits the bill. The problem is that they all seem to still be at the £999 rrp. We have another C2W window in June so if I wait until then am I likely to find the 2016 bike reduced? I’m assuming the model years turn over at the same time as MTB’s but am coming in to road stuff blind.

I know most will point away from the Orange and to the Defy Disc 2 for a cheaper option but the spec and price is similar so I’d go for the Orange.

Checked out the bargain Merlin on the other thread and although not totally discounted as the budget option the comments about it being a ‘racey’ geometry puts me off.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 😀

scotroutes

Remember that many shops will not discount C2W purchases as they’re already cutting into their margin.

chestrockwell

Cheers for that mate. Yeah, came across this but doesn’t seem to be an issue where the Orange comes from.

lazybike
    Free Member

The new Boardman had 10% off the other week, add that to 10% for BC membership takes it down to £800…1×11 and hydros if that’s your thing.

chestrockwell

Don’t fancy 1x on MTB let alone road! Used to like the look of the Boardman’s but the current crop leave me cold.

Burts
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/saracen-tenet-3-roadbike?replies=12#post-7564336

Full carbon fork, Tiagra groupset and mech discs, onsale for 400GBP.

imbuildingabike
    Free Member

How about the 2014 Boardman CX Team?
    Pretty limited stock around the country would be your only problem though.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I went for a 2014 Boardman when they were on sale and 10% off day.

Extra 10% using British cycling.

Then paid by vouchers via a work discount for another 10% off.

Suits my riding road/xc blasts. Also reduces my bike needs. Haven’t used my xc bike since, so that’s going on sale as the Fens are too flat.

schmiken

Unless your company runs their own Cycle to Work scheme (i.e. don’t use Cyclescheme or another provider) then the bike shop will already be losing 10% on the price. You’ll generally find that bike shops will have something written down that they will not accept C2W vouchers for discounted bikes.

You’re already getting the bike discounted and interest free payments spread over 12 months, so I suggest you just be appreciative of that! 🙂

chestrockwell

You’re already getting the bike discounted and interest free payments spread over 12 months, so I suggest you just be appreciative of that!

Don’t worry mate, I’m quite happy to pay bike shop prices and prefer to support shops as often as possible. Simple fact is though that at RRP the Orange is a no go but at the sale price it’s more like it.

That Saracen is very interesting though and I’m a fan of the brand since my first 1989 Tufftrax. I could buy that outright then blow the C2W on a new P7!

I know the advice is to get sized up at a shop but what sort of size should I be looking at? I’m 6’2″ and usually ride 19/20″ MTB’s. Got a nasty feeling I need a 60cm which is out of stock. 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Give Winstanleys a bell, there’s usually one of the roadies on duty on a Saturday and they’ll no doubt be familiar with the sizing on these by now.

I’d be tempted to budget for a wheel upgrade too, just because nice wheels are nice.

proutster
    Free Member

chestrockwell

I know the advice is to get sized up at a shop but what sort of size should I be looking at? I’m 6’2″ and usually ride 19/20″ MTB’s. Got a nasty feeling I need a 60cm which is out of stock.

I’m 5 foot 10 and a bit and have got a 56cm one, picked it up on Thursday – size seems perfect at the moment

chestrockwell

Cheers for the responses. Not over bother about the spec as I can upgrade if I like being a lycra clad mincer. :mrgreen:

It seems a great deal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road/Cross bikes. Discounted? If so, when?’ is closed to new replies.