Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • road wheels
  • mrmo
    Free Member

I’ll start by saying money is tight.

I currently have campag centaur with 32 db spokes and open pro’s, i have managed to ding the front wheel on a pot hole, and just noticed this evening that there appears to be a light bulge in the rim sidewall, not sure if the rim is dying, but the tyre did blow off because i hadn’t quite seated it and this might have bent the rim?

Anyway i am going to have a proper look in the morning and might try careful use of pliers to bend it back.

If that fails i am looking at new wheels.

Does anyone have a idea how much my wheels weigh? and how cheap fulcrums/campagnolo wheels would compare?

slinkybike
    Free Member

If money is tight just replace the rim you can save the spokes if you use like for like rims or do you just need an excuse for new wheels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The tire won’t have damaged the rim and you may well be able to bend it back ok tho you may still feel it through the brakes.

An adjustable spanner is your friend. And tire pressure.

mrmo
    Free Member

If money is tight just replace the rim you can save the spokes if you use like for like rims or do you just need an excuse for new wheels.

had thought about just changing the rims, a pair of open pros is c£80, a pair of Khamsins are just over the £100 mark, the former relies on hubs and spokes being ok, which they probably are, the later gets new everything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why 2 rims?

Hubs and spokes will be fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

i haven’t been very clear, i dinged the front rim by hitting a flooded drain cover about a month ago, (broken tarmac and cast iron drain cover was raised but everything covered in a big puddle), usable but the brake has a nice pulse to it, so could do with replacing at some point in the near future. and now i have found that there is a bulge on the rear rim.

boxelder

prolites
    as cheap as a rebuild, but maybe not as nice as your centaur hubs?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If money genuinely is tight you should be able to make a decent job with a spanner.

If you just want to buy some cheap wheels, go right ahead, not sure what the point of the thread was.

Don’t you have kitchen scales?

clubber
    Free Member

Khamsins might be the sensible choice if money is the only consideration but they are HEAVY!

Otherwise replace the rims yourself. you don’t have to use open pros – look around and you’ll find similar alternatives for 25 quid each.

mrmo
    Free Member

If you just want to buy some cheap wheels, go right ahead, not sure what the point of the thread was.

am i going to notice any difference between what i have been using and cheap factory wheels, or just go for a rebuild.

mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t you have kitchen scales?

No,

ChrisA
    Free Member

Get a big adjustable spanner and try to bend it back. It won’t be perfect but it might make do until you’ve got the money to change it. Alternatively a new rim would be the cheapest option probably

cynic-al
    Free Member

A wee bit of googl;ing will find you the weight of your existing wheels and also the alternatives.

TiRed

I’m guessing, but I suspect your wheelset will be about 1650g. Not light but not really heavy either (think Siroccos at £200 a pair). As others have said, if the tire is still seating OK and the wheel is true, remove the tyre. Apply a sticky plaster tape to each side of the rim at the ding. Then gently bend the flare back with an adjustable spanner. To get over the rim lip, some of the pipe gripping ones may be better. Either way, you should be able to reduce the pulsing from the brakes.

Or buy some Siroccos 😉

jonba
    Free Member

Weightweenies might list the parts so you can approximate the weight. Although if you have kitchen scales you could just weigh them if you find something to balance them on (like a bowl).

For cheap wheels shimano do a good range and they come out pretty well in reviews. Merlin and ribble cycles always have them cheap.

Alternatively planet x wheels are often cheap.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘road wheels’ is closed to new replies.