Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Road Tyres – Will I notice a difference 550g p/tyre 32mm to 250g p/tyre 25mm ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have found out that my current Michelin Commuting tyres weigh 550g each 😆

I am looking at some continentals that weigh 250g each. Will that make me awsome?

In all honesty I have always felt sluggish on hills, will they make a noticeable difference?

simondbarnes

will they make a noticeable difference?

Yes

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve always found that a higher TPI count always feels better, not necessarily the weight difference.

That said 550/tyre is quite a lot

will
    Free Member

That’s a huge difference. You’ll notice for sure.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Probably you will ‘feel’ more of a difference than you will actually realise in an increase in speed. But also bear in mind that you’re going to puncture a lot more with 250g tyres than 550g ones.

Think of it as being like the difference betwen Durex Extra Safe and Featherlite 😀

matts
    Free Member

You’ll certainly notice the first ride. After that, they’ll just be the same as last time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why not get something a bit more halfway? Continental ultrasport 32mm are only 320g.

I commute on my road bike at the moment with 25mm tyres and it’s fine, but for a dedicated commuter I’d happily go for a wider tyre so that I didn’t have to wince so much each time I hit a pothole.

mtbel
    Free Member

why not simply avoid potholes.

there’s no reason to believe a 250g 25mm tyre will puncture more often than a 550g 32mm one either.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be fair I would probably keep going with the heavy tyres for commuting as I do a 1.5 mile ish section which is on very rough forestry road and I dont think a Continental Grand Prix could stand up to that.

Just use nice tyres for weekend rides etc.

geetee1972
    Free Member

there’s no reason to believe a 250g 25mm tyre will puncture more often than a 550g 32mm one either.

Does having much thicker and harder rubber and more layers of puncture resistant material between the inner tube and the road not make any difference then?

mtbel
    Free Member

not always. no. do you also think the steel bead and poor quality carcass helps?

quality sub 250g 25mm puncture resistant tyres are available. just so you know.

geetee1972
    Free Member

do you also think the steel bead and poor quality carcass helps?

True.

quality sub 250g 25mm puncture resistant tyres are available. just so you know.

I think most tyres these days have some form of puncture resitant layer in them these days.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mtbel – Member
    why not simply avoid potholes.

not always possible, often impossible.

somtimes, i don’t even see them, i’m looking at the traffic instead.

and round here (sheffield) the road is a sea of holes, the route around one hole is through another.

mtbel
    Free Member

I think you’re wrong Geetee. bearing in mind “most” cycle tyres are generic cheap shit fitted to sub £200 bicycles and high end bicycle tyres only make up a tiny proportion of all tyres produced.

but talking of “thinking” do you “think” a 32mm tyre would have more or less chance picking up a thorn, flint or piece of glass than a 25mm one during a ride?

mtbel
    Free Member

ah – that’s some seriously poor cycling skills you’re admitting to.

ahwiles
    Free Member

that’s some seriously poor trolling you’re attempting.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think tyres with a softer and thinner rubber compound are more likely to pick up a shard of something and then subsequently have that shard penetrate the rubber and carcass and get to the inner tube.

I don’t think the size of the tyre makes much difference.

If the rubber tread is 5mm thick on one tyre and only 2-3mm thick on another, and if the thicker rubber is also 50% harder, then I think the one with the thinner and softer tread will be more susceptible to punctures, all other things being equal.

mtbel
    Free Member

asking people to think?

it might just save your life one day MrWhiles 🙄

mtbel
    Free Member

You don’t think a larger contact patch has more chance picking up punctures then Geetee?

mtbel
    Free Member

I think tyres with a softer and thinner rubber compound are more likely to pick up a shard of something and then subsequently have that shard penetrate the rubber and carcass and get to the inner tube.

Yeah, you might well be onto something there. a lot of cheaper larger volume tyres also have thicker tread channels whereas a quality 25mm slick will have none. so there’s a good bit of luck going on as to what is picked up and what isn’t too. similarly with high pressures Vs low luck comes into play as to what debris is picked up and what will be glanced off the tyre.

kerley
    Free Member

The larger tyre should puncture less all else being equal as it will be running lower PSI.

However all else is not equal as if the two tyres were the same make and model there would not be such a weight difference so no way of knowing.

You will however notice a difference when riding. It will feel generally more lively (acceleration, steering) but the difference in actual speed over any distance will probably be seconds rather than minutes.

mtbel
    Free Member

The larger tyre should puncture less all else being equal as it will be running lower PSI.

I have heard this quoted in the past.
    Can you please explain how exactly this works in the real world?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes GW, some 250g 25mm tyres are probably more puncture resistant than some 550g 32mm, but assuming both are of some comparable level of quality, the heavier tyre is going to be thicker with more breaker layers, and more resistant to pinch flating too. And a 320g/32mm tyre is going to be just as puncture proof (same construction most likley) as a 250g/25mm tyre.

ah – that’s some seriously poor cycling skills you’re admitting to.

I was going to dig out some pics of 30mm tubs on pro’s bikes at P-R, but this was the first pic that came up, so they’re clearly pretty poor at this cycling lark too.

I have heard this quoted in the past.
    Can you please explain how exactly this works in the real world?

Imagine a bit of glass, or a bit of metal, or a thorn sat between two bits of chipping in the ashfelt so that the contact patch maintains the same shape, it just suddenly meets something sharp. Now the tyre at 100psi is going to apply 100spi of pressure to it, the tyre at 50psi will apply 50psi to it (dynamic effects of the tyre casing deforming ignored). Lower pressure’s should puncture less.

mtbel
    Free Member

wow! that really was a pointless reply 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

More or less pointless than trying to win an agrument based on “most tyres” refering to those fitted to BSO’s rather than acceptingt hat “most tyres” proababluy refers to “most aftermarket tyres that STW’ers would likely be chosing from”.

Or more or less pointless than just responding with “wow! that really was a pointless reply “ when someone responds to your question with an answer? Because that kinda makes is self fulfilling.

teef
    Free Member

I’ve just changed the tyres on my hybrid from 32mm to 25mm – it’s transformed the performance of the bike for the better. Only slight regret was not going a step further with some 23mm tyres.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

my Saracen Hack has 550grm 35mm Contis as OE. I’ll be riding them at Paris Roubaix this weekend.

I also have some sub 300grm 30mm Schwalbe CX tyres and 23 and 25mm road slicks.

It rides more quickly on the road with the CX tyres than it does with the OE slicks, which will be removed immediately after P-R!

So yes, you will notice a difference.

mtbel
    Free Member

Not understanding why my reaction was to say “wow” I can only assume you’re not even aware of how flawed and full of utter nonsense your reply was.

will
    Free Member

teef – Member
    I’ve just changed the tyres on my hybrid from 32mm to 25mm – it’s transformed the performance of the bike for the better. Only slight regret was not going a step further with some 23mm tyres.

That’s a whole other argument right there. Current thoughts are that 25mm tyres are quicker then 23mm ones (in the same tyre range)

geetee1972
    Free Member

…because a larger carcass requires less energy to deform and therefore creates less rolling resistance. Apparently this holds true up to 28c, where after apparently the increased weight as a penalty outweighs the decreased rolling resistance.

I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read….

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

mtbel – Member
    Not understanding why my reaction was to say “wow” I can only assume you’re not even aware of how flawed and full of utter nonsense your reply was.

POSTED 32 MINUTES AGO #

Perhaps you would be better off trying to educate people so that they understand the point that you are trying to make rather than coming out with “wow” which just makes it look like you are trolling . Oh wait a minute !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Go on then, enlighten us.

Explain how applying a greater pressure to the glass/thorn/puncturing object doesn’t result in a greater force.

Or is this a strange variation “better to remain silent and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” and by just going halfway and not actually offering anything constructive up you just look a bit of a tool rather than outright stupid?

mtbel
    Free Member

I’m not a teacher Ramsay.
    it shouldn’t take a genius to understand that everything thisisnotaspoon typed was either completely incorrect/made up or in the case of the pic hugely irrelevant and only posted to try and get a reaction.
    “Wow!” was simply an exclamation of shock at being presented by all of the above.

mtbel
    Free Member

Are you honestly telling us the force exerted on the ground increases when we run a higher pressure in our tyres?

tomhoward

Well, tonights job is changing from winter wheels with 23mm, 350g, 60tpi tyres with a hardness level somewhere north of granite to nice wheels with 25mm. 225g, 330tpi GP4000s II’s 8)

I expect the difference in comfort and speed to be comparable to that of the difference between hardtail and full suss

I loves summer I does.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are you honestly telling us the force exerted on the ground increases when we run a higher pressure in our tyres?

No, I’m saying the pressure exerted at any given point is increased. Halve the pressure in the tyre and the pressure between it and the ground halves.

Now scale that down to the area made up by a sharp object. Call that area ‘A’.

F = P x A

Now if A is tiny, <<1mm square it will not affect the area of contact between the tyre and the road in any significant way.

So you’ve got 2 tyres, one with half the pressure of the other, we’re only talking about the area in contact with the puncturing object which is constant between the two tyres.

Double P, the same area, what happens to the force?

mtbel
    Free Member

again Wow! 😯

you really don’t have a clue do you?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK, and here is is in pretty pictorial format for you, in the top example there is half the contact area and double the tyre pressure. Overall force is the the same, on each of those black spikes representing the road surface the force is 1/7 of the total, the flint/glass/whatever is the remaining 1/7.

In the second, there are a nominal 12 points of contact (twice the area), each taking 1/13 of the force, the remainder (1/13) being the flint/glass/whatever.

1/7 > 1/13

you really don’t have a clue do you?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s1fWQg]Untitled[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

mtbel
    Free Member

ha ha.. 🙂 your awesome ms paint skills aside, what on earth is the above attempting to prove?

FACT is that the chance of picking up a Puncture from rolling over a sharp object is NOT reduced by lowering tyre pressure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That half the pressure, when applied to a constant area (the size of the flint/whatever never changes) equals half the force. Half the force means less likely to be able to puncture the tyre.

Are you actually struggling with this, or just playing dumb?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Road Tyres – Will I notice a difference 550g p/tyre 32mm to 250g p/tyre 25mm ?’ is closed to new replies.