• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road Tyres
  • rugbydick

After getting 2 punctures on the way to and from work yesterday, I think it’s time for new tyres on the road bike.

I use the bike for commuting in all weathers, longer rides (up to 100km) at the weekends and the occasional sportive.

I’m currently running Conti GP 4 seasons, which have been great (these ones have probably done close to 4,000km…).
    Is there anything better out there that offers more in terms of puncture resistance, rolling and weight?
    Or should I just get another pair of GP4S?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GP4s if you want to spend loadsa money.

Schwalbe Blizzards are dirt cheep and just as good IME.

My GP4s’ degraded really quickly when left outdoors in the sunshine the rubber cracked in under 6 months, hardly 4 seasons if they can’t cope with sunshine! I’ve taken to keeping the commuter against a wall rather than test the blizzards.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have some blizzards and some michelin krylion carbon. The former were cheap, the latter not so much. Both seem good and quite puncture resistant. The only puncture I’ve had is hitting a square edged pothole.

jonba
    Free Member

get anoher pair.

Anything more puncture resistant is going to be significantly heavier (in % terms) and anything lighter is goign to be an out and out racing tyre so probably best not for commuting.

cp

the schwalbe blizzards I’ve been using are scary as hell on wet surfaces. I’m going to replace them with something else for this winter and confine the blizzards to turbo use. Does anyone have experience with Gatorskins? Seem very popular and get good reviews.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scary in the wet? The only place I can make mine skid is the 1 in 4 out of my house over the ironworks.

jota180
    Free Member

the schwalbe blizzards I’ve been using are scary as hell on wet surfaces.

I feel totally confident on them in all conditions

cp

interesting. Mine were cheap as chips from on one

ds3000
    Free Member

You can get Vittoria zaffiro pros for about 11 quid, not used them but must be worth a punt.

jota180
    Free Member

Can’t remember where mine came from TBH
    I come from a motorcycle racing background and I find pushbikes no different in that – it’s all about confidence in the front tyre, without it you tend to tense up more and it feels worse.
    I’ve had tyres I’ve hated, whereas other people can’t fault them.

You can get Vittoria zaffiro pros for about 11 quid, not used them but must be worth a punt.

Those came on my new PX, they feel OK but I’m yet to push them hard in the wet

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Gator skins are good tyre for the money. I use them. I put about 3000 miles on them and had no puntures until July’s swimming pool rides which resulted in the roads of Suffolk becoming covered in sharp flints. I must have done some flint knapping with the front wheel as I got a puncture big enough to put a srew driver through the tyre. I cannot blame the tyre for that though. Replaed them with more gatorskins.

Good tyres, roll relativley well and if you go for the folder it weighs a genuine 230g so not too heavy. the wire bead is 290g.

ds3000
    Free Member

I use gp4000s 25mm on planet x model c wheelies. The roll nicely, however I can’t help feeling that they squirm all over the place – I pump them up to 110-115, but they still seem to move around. Maybe its the narrow rims, I may try 23s next time.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have tried the Zaffio’s one before and never again, I was forever changing out tubes. Not a tyre for mile munching in all weathers.

seadog99
    Free Member

I’ve done over a 1000 miles commuting upto now on my Panaracer Pasela TG without any punctures, nice tyre, reasonably priced at 22.99 on CRC and the 700×23 is only 240g with folding bead.

Cracking tyre all round

Jas

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jota (who’s name makes sense now, do you have one? lucky bugger if you do!) probbaly has it correct, it’s all in your (and our) heads, you bought cheep tyres and therefore think they’re about to kill you in the wet, I bought cheep tyres as I was fed up with cuts and punctures, so now I’m confident that there’s actualy some air in my tyres and therefore more grip!

tonyd

I’ve got Gatorskins, can’t remember the last puncture I had (touches wood) and am doing just over 100 miles a week commuting at the moment.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

On my commuter, I’m currently mixing between GP4000s in the summer, Durano Plus through the depths of winter and Gatorskins for the rest of the year. My criteria is that, I really can’t be dealing with punctures of cold dark nights in the winter, but I like to go faster int he summer and will put up with the occasional flat as a result of running grippier rubber.

On the ‘weekend’ road bike, the compromise is more towards performance, so some old-stock Michelin Pro3’s are doing sterling service on the training wheels.

I think it really comes down to where your priorities lie: find a compromise in comfort, puncture resistance, ride quality, grip, weight, rolling resistance, price that suits you’re needs.

ds3000
    Free Member

bristolbiker, are they 23 or 25 gp4000s? interested to know what the difference would be.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve got some unused 4 Seasons in 25mm for sale. Fitted but removed due to insufficient clearance.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Hated my blizzards… gp4000s ftw

jota180
    Free Member

Jota (who’s name makes sense now, do you have one?

I do indeed, a 79 180 bought it last year
    I used to own and race one back in the early 80s and was looking to find one [and the money] for quite a while.

I also have a 3Cl which I bought 3 or 4 years ago in an attempt to scratch the Jota itch 🙂

porlus
    Free Member

Was going to mention the vittoria zaffiro. Cheap enough for commuting and saw me ok through winter.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Been Useing gp4000s on posh road bike this year with zero flats. And gp4season on the hack bike also with zero
    Flats

GW
    Free Member

CG – how much are you wanting for them? (if OP isn’t interested)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road Tyres’ is closed to new replies.