Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road tyre compatible, 135mm rear, disc only 700cc / 29'er Wheelset.
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

All these standards are driving me mad. I’ve got a disc specific cyclocross bike and I’d like to use it on road sometimes with a 2nd set of disc wheels fitted with road tyres at a pressure around 100psi.
    My current wheels are Stans Crest ZTR 29’er wheels which blow the tyre off much above 50psi and they’re tubeless anyway so not an option to use with Michelin Pro 4’s.
    Any recommendations for a decent spec. disc cyclocross wheelset that I can put road tyres on?

oxym0r0n

I got some hand built: velocity a23 disc on pro2 evo. Got them set up with stans tape for eventual tubelessness too 😀

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Where from and how much were they, if you’d be so kind?

rj
    Free Member

Kinesis Crosslight Disc look to be pretty good; around 1550g and can be had for £240ish.

fubar
    Free Member

I’ve been considering similar and Novatech CXD look good to me but haven’t yet tried them:-
    http://novatecusa.net/project/cxd/

review here

also considering Mavic Aksium One disc perhaps , heavier but cheaper – http://www.mavic.co.uk/wheels-road-triathlon-aksium-one-disc#.VEJg2PldU6w

notmyrealname
    Free Member
    cyclepathologist
    Free Member

If they were cheaper and closer to Buxton, I’d have been interested in those wheels (assuming they’re 10 speed compatible).

househusband

fubar – I had a cyclocross bike (a Haibike) that came with the CXD’s and they were not very robust as it turned out; the bike was 130mm rear hub, another reason I sold it on quickly. I am 15st though so perhaps a whippet may have more luck!

I sold the bike on in good faith and a week or two later the buyer got in touch asking me if I had any spare spokes; he’d braked hard and a front spoke went – taco’ing the wheel. The spokes are very skinny (more so than the 1.8/2.0 DB spokes I’ve built with) and (as the buyer found) the nipples are soft alloy.

I’d go for handbuilt with readily available spokes and nipples; I like the look of H+ Son Archetype rims.

schmiken

I’d recommend getting some spare wheels with the same hubs to avoid having to respace the calipers every time you change wheels.

fubar
    Free Member

CXD’s and they were not very robust

thanks it’s good to have some feedback as there isn’t much about other than some reviews

perhaps a whippet may have more luck!

mmm…I’m more labrador than whipet. So back to where we started –

“Any recommendations for a decent spec. disc cyclocross wheelset that I can put road tyres on?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road tyre compatible, 135mm rear, disc only 700cc / 29'er Wheelset.’ is closed to new replies.