Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road tubeless woes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Spent 30m failing to seat my Hutchinson tyres on Alpha rims (kept getting a low point on the tyre), gave up and found a Michelin Speedium popped and sealed first time! It had holes tho so I had to pop a tube in.

I’m going off to the stans forum, but what tyres is anyone here using?

£50 Hutchinson is a PITA, £8 Michelin works first time 😐

smell_it
    Free Member

I got some ultegra wheels cheap so thought I’d give tubeless a blast., and I’m currently on my second set of atoms. No problems; a bit of stans fluid and a track pump and 15 mins, all is good. I use them on my trainng bike. How are you finding the Alpha’s? I’ve ridden a club mates and my 63kg frame was enough to flex them, not sure if it was the build, but i wasn’t won over by them.

emanuel
    Free Member

da wheels and hutch fusion tubeless.
    it was a bitch the fisrt time round I remember,but the tyres last quite a bit.
    does anyone know where they sell the 28mm hutchinson fusion?
    got some alphas I need to build up,have read quite a few neg reviews about using them tubeless.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went for 24/32H and not having any problems, tho I’m not sprinting. I started with 24H rear and yes it was a bit flexy. I then totalled the front and went 32H rear.

smell_it
    Free Member

The ones i tried were 24h; was steep climbing where I noticed the flex.

krixmeister

Having used three different wheels and various Hutchison tires with tubeless and no probs in last four years, I hit my first ever “can’t get it to work” road tubeless issue. Hutch Fusion 25 tires on Giant SL-0 wheels – rear went up no probs, no amount of faffing (inc trying different tires) would get the front to seat. I gave up, sent to bike shop, and after an hour or two of their own messing about they got it to work. Apparently their solution was to add another layer of sealing tape.

Of course, various slow leaks and seating probs seam to be par for the course for me for MTB, so maybe the tubeless gods just hate me.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Does Stans etc still work at 80+psi?

Klunk
    Free Member

when I ran road tubeless, I found once punctured the max pressure was about 40 psi try and put in any more than that would just break the temp latex seal. It’s enough to get you home and a more permanent fix though. I actually prefer running tubes with some stans fluid in them at the moment.

emanuel
    Free Member

al.28/32 H2 front and eno rear.should make a nice solid build.
    appparently those japanese tubeless tyres are supposed to be really good.
    But I think tubulars make more sense.
    Rims can be had cheaper/lighter.More tyre choice.
    The fusion tyres cost as much as good tubulars.& are harder to find.
    you can run sealant in tubular tyres as well.

Less chance of rolling a tyre I suppose.
    having said all that,I’ve been using them for 4?5?years and they’ve been great.

Aren’t speediums wire rims?
    I found that inflating the fusions with a tube inside smoothed out the bead and made inflating much easier.
    All done with a track pump though,so I’m used to the 2-3h misery of trying to get tyres to seal.

aracer
    Free Member

Michelin Speediums aren’t tubeless tyres are they?

emanuel
    Free Member

no.but they come in lots of colours

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed aracer…but they sealed.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed aracer…but they sealed.

That’s not the point. The point is it doesn’t have tubeless beads, so won’t be a secure enough fit on the rim when you pump up to road pressures. There’s been lots of discussion on this, and general agreement that you need a proper tubeless tyre for road tubeless. Read what it says at http://www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx – it’s not the same as going tubeless on a MTB.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Good luck if the Speediums work. When I was first trying road tubeless, I got a Conti Gatorskin to seal up fine on a Mavic rim. But shortly after I started pumping it up, the thing blew up in my face.

Fine in the workshop, apart from getting dry latex out my ears a couple of days later. Not so fine at 40kph.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know that, I wasn’t necessarily planning on trying it.

Ta for the link, I need to read into it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aracer, is that the link you meant?

aracer
    Free Member

Yep – it says:

“Please note, unlike with mountain bike conversions, specific Road Tubeless tires are required for conversion. They have been designed with a folding tire bead that will not stretch and cause catastrophic blowouts. Road Tubeless tires must be used and we have partnered with Hutchinson to provide three excellent options.”

Clearly you’re not actually stupid enough to try non-tubeless road tyres tubeless, so my effort was wasted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I was thinking about it 😀 I have heard that it can work, also that tubeless tyres can blow off.

I don’t really get how any bead can stretch 😐

emanuel
    Free Member

can blow off alpha rims,or non tubeless rims,not read about them coming off Shimano rims.
    have you tried fitting them with a tube and leaving a few days?
    had a non tubeless tyre come off a tubeless rim.
    I store wheels by hanging them from the ceiling with a hook.The tyre blew off,the rim jumped off the hook,bounced on the table,missing my hand by a few inched,then settled on the floor.sealant everywhere.a chunk out of my desk,the wheel was fine though.
    Good thing I hadn’t ridden it yet.
    I’d not experiment too much,Al.But then again I have had my front teeth redone 4 times in the last 20 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The tyre in question had been on for a year or so and off only once for a rebuild IIRC, no need to shape with a tube? The trouble is getting the tyre bead to move to the edge of the rim, I don’t think a tube would help.

I think I will play it safe…stans recommend fusions, may buy more or see what they say about bonty’s

emanuel
    Free Member

try building up the base with more tape,sometimes a long rubber band round the tyre helps,
    more air volume is usually the easiest fix.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless woes’ is closed to new replies.