Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road Tubeless – Do I Need Tubeless Specific Rims?
  • Daffy

Or will it work with any rims? I’ve successfully managed to get some Vittoria Voyagers onto a set of Archetypes and am running them tubeless at ~6-psi, but was considering something more agressive….am I doomed to failure?

Vortexracing

yip, tubeless specific all the way I’m afraid

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi, no you don’t need tubeless specific rims. You do need tubeless specific tyres though. You will need to replace the existing rim tape with Stan’s rim tape. Pop in the valve, fit the tyre, add sealant and then inflate. Sorted.

Currently running Fulcrum Cx wheels tubeless with Schwalbe One Tubeless. Great tyres and no issues thus far.

Regards

cubicboy
    Free Member

As a ‘test’ I’m running Schwalbe Ones on my Zipp 303s. They are not supposed to be tubeless wheels but I’m thinking if Zipp’s claims to have the toughest rims are true then I should be okay.
    Take care to prep the rim and apply the tape. Also make sure that you seat the valve correctly and trim the tape carefully. Leaving the tyre seated on the rim overnight with a tube in is a must (for me).
    I have had them like this for two weeks and the ride is fantastic. I’m sure that part of that is down to going from 23mm to 25mm but I love it.
    Owning an Airshot compressor has helped with all of my tubeless stuff as you can keep going until it works (as opposed to eating through a box of co2 cartridges).

TiRed

No. It is the tyre bead that really matters.

Running Schwalbe One tubeless on Ksyrium

Also running CX Pros on Stans Crest so the converse is also true, but pressures are much lower.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hi, no you don’t need tubeless specific rims. You do need tubeless specific tyres though.

+1

tubeless-ready rims usually inflate better though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road Tubeless – Do I Need Tubeless Specific Rims?’ is closed to new replies.