• This topic has 9 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road smash at the weekend – concussion advice
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I crashed on black ice on the road bike last weekend – usual bumps and grazes but banged my head quite hard (hard enough to split a Bell Lumen helmet)

Felt a bit rough on Monday so managed to see the doc yesterday – advised to take a week off work and two weeks off the bike (no exertion….take it easy when I get back into it)

Anyone been through this?

I feel really groggy, very tired….battered and sore but I’m not worried about that bit!

Keep getting up to do something and forgetting what it was!!!!

martinhutch

The doc has given you good advice. It’s quite common to experience periods of memory loss following a concussion. The important thing is to try to minimise the risk of a further concussion for the next couple of weeks as the brain may be vulnerable to more severe injury in the days after the initial concussion. So stay off your bike for a couple of weeks.

Just take it easy, eat and drink well, rest lots.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Concussion is damage to your brain. It needs time to heal like anything else you injure. Evidence is building that taking time out helps you to heal quicker with less deleterious long term issues.

Take the advice of your GP!

Yak

AMNAD, but when my son was concussed, and after being assessed at hospital, we were advised to follow the RFU’s return to play protocol for return to school/stuff/sports:

link to RFU pdf:
    http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/MyRugby/Headcase/01/30/49/22/returntoplayafterconcussion_Neutral.pdf

Stoner
    Free Member

What yak says.

14days minimum (from last symptoms, and clock resets if symptoms return) before graduated return to exercise.

This Is Worthh lookingg at
    http://www.englandrugby.com/my-rugby/players/player-health/concussion-headcase/coaches/

atlaz
    Free Member

Anecdotally I read an article about Roland Green, former XC world champ, who reckoned his road career was destroyed by training and racing too early after a serious concussion.

creedy
    Free Member

Take note of the 14 days AFTER the last symptom. Not from injury. this is the mistake to many make. My Rugby playing was effectively ended by a severe concussion 2 years ago. total loss of memory of the morning before the game, throwing up on the side of the pitch and felt ill/dizzy and groggy for 2 months after. Basically its swelling on the brain that inhibits the blood flow to area affected. so it takes longer to heal. think of it this way, if you bruise your leg, how long does that take to go away? At least a couple of weeks, usually longer. The brain is quite a bit softer.
    If you find yourself getting really tired late in the afternoon that too is a symptom and can come back a week or so after you think you are ok.
    Take it easy and heal well.

Sui
    Free Member

Have a watch of the film Concussion with Will Smith, its really rather good..

velocipede
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice……I’m feeling a bit better today, but still not great……..I’m expecting a good rest for a few weeks……the good thing is it’s meant I’ve been spending time thinking about new bits for my various bikes!!!!
    😀

ctk
    Free Member

I feel really groggy, very tired…I’ve been spending time thinking about new bits for my various bikes!!!!

I think I’ve got what you’ve got!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road smash at the weekend – concussion advice’ is closed to new replies.