Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road shoes for the wide of foot?
  • scud
    Free Member

I’m relatively new to the road riding side of cycling and have ridden (mostly commuting) using MTB shoes and SPD’s.

I’ve a series of 100 mile plus sportives and one 250 mile ride this year and want to make the switch to decent road shoes.

I’ve broad feet though (feet are only size 7.5 in lengh but take a 9 normally to accomadate them) and want a shoe that is comfortable for all day riding as opposed to racing.

Any suggestions, personal favourites?

Also, any preferred saddles for distance riding for heavier rider (15st)?

atlaz
    Free Member

Sidi do wide fit shoes I think. My Bontrager shoes are a lot wider than my Giro ones but there’s not much in it.

In terms of saddles, you need to find something you find comfortable. Both my road bikes have Selle Italia SLR XC on them. Flexy enough without being bouncy.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I have wide feet and Specialized fit very nicely. I’d avoid Asian and European manufacturers, apart from Sidi’s wider fit models.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for Spesh. Great shoes too.

lunge

Spec for me on the shoe front. And a selle italia flite gel flow suit my similarly proportioned backside.

asterix
    Free Member

First I think you will benefit a lot from getting proper road shoes and pedals instead of SPDs

I have some of these r170 wide fit

higgo
    Free Member

I also have very wide feet (with a high instep) – I’m not saying I’m a mutant but I have had ski boot fitters take one look at me feet and refuse to serve me.

Anyway on to road shoes… Spesh BG shoes fit me really well and I’ve tried on some Sidi in a wide fitting that were a great fit but eye-wateringly expensive. I think they were top of the Sidi range and at the time I was doing 95%MTB/5%road so couldn’t justify them.

MSP

I have never found specialized to be any wider than other manufacturers. Lake are wider, and also do wide fitting on top of that.

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano normal fit shoes are generally too wide for me. And they do a wide fit version too!

I find normal SIDI’s absolutely perfect, but then most people find them too narrow. They do a wide fit, and an “ultra wide” fit version too though I believe.

Would suggest whatever you go for, go for some pedals with the largest cleat/pedal surface interface you can. It will relieve hotspots over longer distances, something that larger and/or more powerful riders can be more prone to.

As for saddles? Got nothing to do with your weight, and everything to do with personal preference. Try a few out, personally I like Specialized saddles in a 143mm width. I find a cutout down the length of the saddle absolutely necessary these days, and prefer quite a firm shell over a soft and squishy one.

marting
    Free Member

Take a look at the Rido Lt saddle. Good for 250 mile days. Never as ‘instantly plush’ as a more padded one, but puts the contact points in the place where it should be – your sit bones – without squashing the squishy bits in front.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m currently going through the same search. Giro and mavic don’t seem too bad but both make wide versions that I now have on order. Gaerne so do a wide fit.

mauja
    Free Member

Some of the Specialized shoes are also available in an extra wide fitting, not sure which models but I’ve definitely seen the Spec Pro Road shoes in an extra wide at Evans Cycles.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Those suggesting Specialized don’t have really wide feet!

I had to go up a size in them (Spec BG range), never really fit well as they were too long and still a bit tight. Tried quite a few makes, bought a pair of Bontrager thinking they’d do and lasted one ride with them.

What I’ve ended up with is Northwave. Have got two normal road pairs in my normal size and they fit perfectly. Went a size up in the Goretex boots to fit bigger socks (and my normal size wasn’t available in the sales) and they’re fine too.

Try a pair on – there aren’t many in this thread thay I never tried before settling on Northwave.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not just width. They’re different shapes as well. Best thing to do is try loads on and see what fit’s.

I’ve got spesh road shoes and they pinch slightly (but not at their widest point), but have loads of room around the toes, Sidi are quite narrow but actually fit me quite well even in the normal size. I’ve got some northwave shoes and they’re quite narrow all the way along (but great winter shoes so I’ll forgive them).

Onzadog
    Free Member

I tried northwave but found they came in tight on my little toe. The trouble I’m having with the wide fitting shoes is finding one that is narrow enough in the heel.

MSP

There are decent solutions for wide feet and narrow heel.

1, sidi upers are supple and don’t restrict the forefoot like other makes which force your foot to conform to the shape of the shoe.
    2, Lake are a nice wide fitting, the mx 236 has the boa behind the heel, and snugs the upper into the heel nicely.
    3, Bont (not bontrager) shoes are actually foot shaped, unlike every other shoe which seem to think feet are pointed to the middle toe, and are heet moldable so you can cinch up around the heel.

jimmers
    Free Member

+1 Shimano in wide fit versions.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the Giro HV (high volume) but the Mavic Maxi are very good and I’d be more than happy with those if the Giro isn’t a better fit.

I’ve been looking for a shoe where when I weight the forefoot, the spread stays on the sole unit. Supple uppers tend to lead to my foot spilling over the sole and cramping where they’re not supported.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road shoes for the wide of foot?’ is closed to new replies.