Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road shifters / broken wrist – suggestions please
  • DT78
    Free Member

A friend is recovering from a very bad broken wrist. The plate in the wrist means she has limited movement in the right top 2 fingers. Those that are needed for shifting on her 105 equipped bike. Basically the throw is too far on the lever. She can’t use a flat bar due to too much weight through the wrist , the hoods seem to be okay.

What options are there? Do the electronic gear systems still require a lever throw to shift?

scaredypants

“no” throw on di2 – effectively just a button. pretty light press too

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ultegra 6870 conversion kit would be the “easiest” way to do it.

https://www.bike24.com/p266932.html

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Di2 just requires a button click with no throw, works well for my slightly arthritic fingers!

midlifecrashes

Bar end shifters, most people will naturally use different parts of the hand, and a different wrist movement to STIs. Also, you could leave the STIs in place for braking and just need a new gear cable and re-wrap bar tape.

monkeyboyjc

Bar end or thumb shifters would be the cheaper option (£60 < £90 for 10sp duraace)….. di2 with sprint shifters would be cleaner and more user friendly but will cost circa 10x more.

TiRed

Been there and have the same plate. Can she rotate the wrist rather than move fingers? That’s how I changed gear last year. My movement returned eventually.

I also considered Di2, but for ease and cheapness, bar ends will be a good solution.

DT78
    Free Member

She is undergoing intensive physio so hope it’ll get better. It’s been 3 months, last night was her first try on the turbo.

I’ll recommend di2 and bar ends. I reckon it’s a good excuse for a whole new bike, and it should help cheer her up.

TiRed

Well I bought a recumbent trike with bar end shifters for my wrist, so yes it is a good excuse 😆

DT78
    Free Member

:). Did you have the plate removed in the end? Or do you still have limited movement? She is quite upset by how slow progress has been so far

curto80
    Free Member

Just leave it in 53-11 and HTFU

mikewsmith
    Free Member

She is undergoing intensive physio so hope it’ll get better. It’s been 3 months, last night was her first try on the turbo.

Having done the turbo twice now with alternate hands/wrists in casts I just found a way.. If it’s not going to be on the road for a bit I’d try for a bit longer either using the resistance of the turbo or at one stage at the worst I just used the other hand to shift…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Di2 can also be set up to shift in any manner you require i.e.. left hand to change rear gears if required.

TiRed

Volar plate still in place. I had a second surgery to shorten the screws because they were impinging tendons. I was very diligent with physio. When the cast came off I had almost no movement. Now a year later, I’ve lost about 15 degrees downwards. Lots of pressing hands together Palm to palm and back to back. The fingers was a bigger issue and the plate might have come out, but an ct scan at six months suggested it had not healed.

It was a triple comminuted fracture in three planes. You should see what it did to the carbon handlebars!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road shifters / broken wrist – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.