Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road salt and its effects on bike bits
  • dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

ive been out on 3 rides recently about 30% on the roads to get to natural stuff, and left the bike outside on the last one, found great stonking rust stains on my rotors, to the extent of bieng ingrained at parts

whats in this apart from salt and i suppose lubing the rotors isnt a good idea, theyre avids and only had 4months medium light use

that gunk cant be doing the bearings any good either

grizzer
    Free Member

Ive been gettin rust on my egg beaters and there not supposed to!

jond
    Free Member

Rode my 5-yr old P7 on the 3 decent days of snow we had in Surrey last year, put it away in a dry garage and a month later had some surface rust on previously clean (unused) v-brake pivots, steel granny ring and a seized Hope caliper 🙁 – not to mention a lot more on chain/cassette.

Makes a nice mess of unlacquered motorcycle engine cases too…

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I've destroyed SID lower leg assemblies in successive winters after using the MTB to get to work in snowy conditions. The road salt chews through magnesium in time time at all. My mate's KTM motorbike crank casing (also magnesium) was similarly munched through by the road salt last winter!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Eyeleted rims don't like it. Hayes brakes DEFINITELY don't like it. The paint around your bottle bosses won't like it… The inside of the bolt heads won't like it either.
    And I bet you a pound that your brake pistons won't like it!
    The only real cure is to rinse the salt off after each ride.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road salt and its effects on bike bits’ is closed to new replies.