Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road saddles
  • ElShalimo

I’ve got a Prologo saddle on my road bike and it just gives me numb nether regions after an hour or so. I’ve persevered with it but alas it has to go.
    So then, what’s the current STW favourite road saddle for a heavy bloke with a fat arse?
    Ideally under £50
    thanks

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve tried numerous offerings from the likes of Prologo, Specialized, Fizik and San Marco and hated them all more or less equally. Best road saddle I’ve found is the parts bin special that came stock on my Giant Defy, I bought another off Ebay to put on the other bike too!

onandon
    Free Member

Like farts, everyone loved their own but hates others.

You just need to try and see and see what works. Some can be very engle sensitive so try it totally level then a tad nose up.

fatmax

Specialized Toupe (?) works for me. In fact got Specialized on all my bikes…143mm width.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Width – check the spesh BG site they guide you through picking a width. Remember to sit on the cardboard mimicking your bike position, the bones taper so a more upright position will require a wider saddle.

Cut out – as much to do with hip flexor flexibility as anything, tighter hip flexors mean a rotated pelvis which pushed the notcher down into the saddle. Big cut outs can be uncomfortable too.

Saddle shape – some roadies like their saddles to be a hammock to spread the pressure over the largest area possible, others like a scooped up tail as it provides something to push against, others like them flat to allow multiple comfortable positions. Typically MTB saddles are flat for this reason.

Basically a narrow Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow is the most comfortable saddle in the world for me and worth every penny, to you it could well be a £100 instrument of torture.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite, or whatever it’s called £39.99 from most good bookstores.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I have a Selle Italia MaxFlite Gel thing, the L3 according to their test saddles. I think it’s the one thisisnotaspoon mentioned?
    I actually found the Fizik Arione slightly more comfortable, even though it doesn’t have a cutout, which I thought I needed.

nathb
    Free Member

Madison Prime – cheap as chips on eBay and fairly light too.

ElShalimo

Thanks everyone
    I’ll do more research

chakaping
    Free Member

Fizik Aliante here and lovin’ it.

Madison Prime – cheap as chips on eBay and fairly light too.

There’s a nice white one on there now from a very reputable, intelligent and handsome seller.

TiRed

Aliante is a popular saddle. I’m an Arione arse hatchet man, personally, but rode 75km on the Aliante today.

Saddles are very personal, but numbness suggests you might like to move the saddle forward slightly so as not to lean over as far.

Original Flite TI was THE comfort saddle for me, less curved than the Aliante and almost as long as the Arione.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fizik Aliante here and lovin’ it.

This

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m using SMP saddles. Think I’ve finally found a saddle that works for me. The mistake I was making was assuming that because I’m skinny I would have narrower sit bones but the tin foil on chair test shows them to be wider. I then got an SMP hell for my mtb and now have 4!!!. I’ve got an SMP evolution in white but it comes up quite narrow. Got it cheap from eBay. Will be for sale when I can get round to taking some pics etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road saddles’ is closed to new replies.