Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road running shoes
  • ahsat

I’m pretty new to this running lark – having done the Couch to 5k in preparation for a charity offroad 10k this weekend just gone (yes, I know not the ideal prep, but it went better than I expected). I MUCH prefer trail running, but am realistic to keep this going during the winter, I am going to have to embrace the tarmac a bit. I bought Womens Inov-8 Trailroc 255’s for the ‘race’ I did and have pretty much just run in these and (with superfeet in them) they really work for me. But I find for long periods on tarmac, my back starts to ache (I have a prolapsed disc which I manage with physio etc). So I am looking for something similar to the Trailroc’s but that will offer better cushioning on the road (if that makes sense!). I’ve looked at the Inov-8 Roadclaw 275 as an obvious choice, but really I have no idea what I am looking for!

Advice welcome! Many thanks!

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t know answer but I’m interested in what you find. I’m running about the same kind of level, it sounds.

I was sent off of a proper running shop that stuck me on a machine and videoed my ankles as I ran. They correctly told me my left ankle is a joke and fitted me with some Asics shoes that I’ve found really good. Secret seems to be getting someone to study you properly. It is worth it.

I also had a pro-lapsed disc (L5S1 as it happens) and, if I find my hips giving me pain – I STOP RUNNING FOR A FEW DAYS and let it recover.

Rachel

Tallpaul

Running shop that does free gait analysis.

Running on tarmac is tough on the joints in any footwear. If your back is a real issue, you might want to limit the road miles and throw in something lower impact to supplement.

If you’re already working with a physio, take their advise too.

ahwiles
    Free Member

edit: i’m an illiterate idiot.

somouk
    Free Member

As Tallpaul said, running on the road may not suit you, if you already have some decent trainers with insoles and it still hurts then it could be that it’s the general wear and tear of running and the impact that is causing you issues.

If you already have back issues then I would consider sticking to trail running and getting goretex shoes/running socks or cross train on another sport over winter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have some Trail Roc 255’s that I use off road, and you certainly wouldn’t want to use them on road, they are not a cushioned shoe at all. (they are off road shoes)

I have just bought some Saucony Kinvara 7’s similar in that they have only 4mm drop rear to front, but they are a proper road shoe.

I only use them for club runs, the rest of the time I still run off road using a decent head torch. (Petzl Nao)

ahsat

As Tallpaul said, running on the road may not suit you

I think this may well be a fair point that I cant totally ignore. Having relocated in the last couple of months, I’ve moved away from my excellent physio (who was also a runner) who I would have normally asked. We are in a bit of limbo at the moment and I haven’t been swimming like I used to do for my back, and the reality is, one or two offroad runs, a swim and a bike ride or two a week would probably be better than just pounding the pavement (though at the moment the latter is the most convenient!). It is a fair point.

I will also look up some shops which might be able to do some gait analysis as well to see what they think. Doesn’t seem to be a shortage of running shops in north Leeds!

the rest of the time I still run off road using a decent head torch

In many respects I should just do this, but as a lone women, I get a little nervous at times in the dark.

chrismac

Im a fan of ascis as long as they have heal and forefoot GEL in them. Another one I like are the Hoka’s loads of cushioning

dragon
    Free Member

Saucony Kinvara 7 would certainly be worth a look, as they have a fair bit of cushioning, but are pretty light and quick.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one has suggested zero drop shoes etc?

wilburt
    Free Member

I would suggest the opposite something with a big cushion, most ranges make it clear which are the race and which are cush.

josecamel
    Free Member

I have some Trail Roc 255’s that I use off road

Totally agree with FunkyDunc, Inov8 all the way

Pieface

Running shop with gait analysis. Never used to give it any merit and do loads of fell running and tarmac is hard on the body and will amplify any biomechanical issues

OwenP

Sounds like you may have some specific injury considerations, but as above I’d suggest looking at some of the highly cushioned options which seem to be getting more popular recently.

I got some Hokas a few months back to replace some Salomon road/trail crossover shoes and have been really pleased that I recover faster and feel less impact without any noticeable penalty for the extra cushioning. Not saying they would work for everyone but perhaps don’t let the weird looks put you off!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above I’ve got various inov8 but can’t think of any I would be happy pavement plodding in.
    I’m sure a few on here have been raving about those Dave Hill running shoes, can’t remember the name.

ahsat

Looks like Up and Running in Leeds do gait analysis and stock Saucony, Hoka and some Inov-8. Need to pay them a visit! Need to also find myself a physio down here at some point anyway, and probably worth a chat with them.

Edric64
    Free Member

Having size 15s I just wear whatever I can find that has been reduced in price

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The anmount of padding does not equate to how much shcok reduction they are going to give you.

When my wife wantged some new running shoes we went to the sweat shop and she tried multiple pairs – once they had figured out what basic type of support she needed.

Instead of her running on the machine I asked if she could run up and down the pavement outside whilst I watched.

In some of the most heavily padded shoes she was getting a lot of shock from the ground and her action wasn’t smooth, whereas with some others which had very little padding compared she was super smooth like she had run for years.

The higher padding shoes were just less stable it seems.

It was immediately obvious as an observer which were the better shoes, although she couldn’t really tell herself with such a short run.

I don’t think the difference would have been anywhere as obvious on the already bouncy running machine.

Coyote
    Free Member

Where in the country are you? If north west then Run Geek in Warrington will do a free gait analysis. They introduced me to Brooks Ravanna first and more recently Brooks Transcend. Stongly recommended.

biglee1

Read born to run by Christopher McDougall and feel inadequate 😀 It`s quite a good book that goes into some of the biomechanics of running.

I wear New Balance Leadville trail shoes on the road as I found my road shoes were not doing me good 🙁

spot
    Free Member

hoka
    low drop/high cushioning might be the answer
    hear people rave about them, have not tried them myself.

surfer
    Free Member

Never understand the willingness to allow somebody who is untrained and probably on close to minimum wage and works in a running shop to “analyse” your gait. This is snake oil and call me cynical but they will only recommend a shoe they happen to have in stock!!

Its too complex to provide value even when done by an expert.

Stay away from Inov8, good shoes on the fell or maybe XC racing but unless they are doing road shoes I havent seen (thier range is ridiculous so its possible) I wouldnt run even a few miles on the road in them.
    Nike are very good and the waffle outsole and air cushioning is good enough for paths/road/xc etc.

I ran in Nikes for years but now run in Hoka’s as I have arthritis in my toe joint and the large rocker midsole help with that. I think they are great for road and off road although the high midsole is diconcerting on the techie stuff.

My thoughts on Hoka My Hoka review

ahsat

Stay away from Inov8, good shoes on the fell or maybe XC racing but unless they are doing road shoes I havent seen (thier range is ridiculous so its possible) I wouldnt run even a few miles on the road in them.

I know what you mean, they dont even do my shoe any more that I bought 5 months ago!

They do a road shoe now, the Roadclaw:

But yes totally understand where you are coming from. I am going to head into Up and Running in the next week and have a chat with them (and check my bank account) and look at some other stuff.

Thank you for the pointers everyone – certainly given me some other stuff to look.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Inov8 have a new road shoe out that’s been getting good reviews. Hoka seem to be well regarded by a few people I know, as do Sketchers for comfortable running shoes.

Personally I’m currently using Asics GT2000-4 shoes purely because I got a pair for a bargain price, and I’m very happy with them. Longest run in them so far is 16 miles and they’ve kept my feet comfy despite my 16St+ bulk

stever
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat actually, I do 90% of my running offroad in fairly low and minimal shoes but thinking about a bit more road to keep the laundry bills down. Looking at something like the Asics Zaraca for a neutral shoe with a bit of cushioning. I’ve had good luck with more beginnery shoes in the past that aren’t stuffed full of support posts, lateral stiffeners etc, that get in the way of what should be a fairly simple activity. Try stuff on in a low pressure environment seems to be best advice.

…or you could just buy a decent headtorch and find some trail buddies 🙂

Pieface

When I had my gait analysis done my ankle was definitely moving in neutral shoes. Ended up going for mild support shoes in the Asics GT1000 v5s.

I did try the Hoka one one’s, which are neutral, but watching the video they corrected my ankle movement in the same way as the Asics’ did. I assume that there’s so much cushioning at play that the plushness allows the ankle to correct itself – the sole acts as the baseline and the cushioning deforms such that the ankle sorts itself out due to the amount of cushioning. The salesperson suggested I give them a try but not being able to get over their looks, and the feeling of the super-soft cushioning, I went for the Asics’ as they were most like what I already had.

mogrim

Sketchers for comfortable running shoes.

I have some Skechers Go Run, nice shoes for very smooth tarmac or a treadmill but even the smallest pebble is immediately noticeable, and not in a good way… Not sure about the rest of their range, but something to bear in mind.

In true STW spirit I’m going to recommend what I already have: some Mizuno Wave Sayonaras. Great reviews, and you should be able to get last year’s model at a reduced price: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/mizuno-wave-sayonara-womens

(Edit: I have the men’s model, funnily enough…)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road running shoes’ is closed to new replies.