Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road rims? Alternative to an Open Pro
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Trying to spec myself some new wheels for my road bike and struggling to see passed the Mavics but I’m also just not able to get excited by them. I was hoping for something a little more special. I’ve looked at Ambrosio, Stans and Velocity but not really found that they offer what I am looking for.

I’m after a 32 hole clincher and don’t want to go with CarbonFibre.

I thought the HED Ardennes rims would be the answer but they don’t come in 32h unfortunately.

Has anyone got a suggestion for an alternative that I haven’t thought about?

Cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bloody hell i am print screening this – matt asking for advice and others opinions 😉

simonm
    Free Member

Dont campag do something ?

whatnobeer
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF crap are you talking about?

Alphas come in 32H.

fridge
    Free Member

Ambrosio Excellight?

Oops, should have read all the OP first…

kilo

got some dt swiss 585’s look ok seem to ride ok too, not as light as open pro’s though

matthew_h
    Free Member

Si, Campag only seem to do complete wheels.

Whatnobeer, cheers, I’ll have a look into them.

Al, I know the Alpha comes in 32 hole, I didn’t say they didn’t, I just don’t think they are the rims that I want.

Fridge, the Excelight is one of the rims I’ve looked into but they don’t really seem to offer anything over the Open Pros.

Kilo, not a huge fan of DT rims and the only ones that would seem to fit the bill are, as you say, a good chunk heavier than the Open Pros.

rootes1

open pros are excellent rims.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Give us a clue then, what are the criteria?

matthew_h
    Free Member

32 hole, clincher, something reasonably strong (I’m not small), nice and round from the off and with something a little nicer about them (I know that is a bit wooly but I can’t really describe what that might be)

tracknicko
    Free Member

open pros are solid gold old school. what more could you ask for?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I know they’re good, I just want something a little bit more exciting and less ubiquitous if possible.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I cannot speak highly enough of Ambrosio Excellence rims; 32 hole, look like new after 3 years, true as the day they were built+a funky gold counter weight for the valve stem

guymk2
    Free Member

Try the h-plus sons tb14.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Moon on a stick for table 4 please 🙄

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cheers Guy, I’ll look into them too.

Thanks for your help Al

mjsmke

+1 for open pros. Usedthem for 12 years and never had a problem.

agraves
    Free Member

What about some Velocity A23s? Or the bikehubstore C472s (http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/162.htm)? Both wide like the HED you are interested in.

If you’re interested in the C472s I’m looking at buying some also so maybe we could club together to reduce shipping costs?

druidh
    Free Member

Open Pros are ubiquitous? That’ll be for a very good reason then….

Rik
    Free Member

Liking my velocity a23s, they held up fine on the hebrides tour with my 35c tyres – very impressed esp as I built the wheels too :0)

Wookster

Open pros……peel the stickers off hey presto!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Been looking into the A23s a bit more. They sound like they could be a really good option for me. Liking the sound of the extra width and they do come in 32h unlike the HEDs.

Rik, keen to pop up and have a look at yours to see what they’re like.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road rims? Alternative to an Open Pro’ is closed to new replies.