Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road riding on Mallorca – routes and recommendations
  • geoffj

Hi folks. I’ve got the opportunity of a couple of weeks somewhere sunnyish, in April. I’m seriously considering Mallorca. Basing myself in Palma and heading out each day on my own to get some road miles in.

Any comments, suggestions for routes, places to stop for coffee etc?

TIA

heihei

Anything in the mountains around Soller, esp the brutal climb from Soller up to the tunnel!
    Road up the coast from Palma towards Deia is pretty stunning too.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just follow the hordes of other road cyclists.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was about to say Solla and Sa Colobra. However that’s the opposite end of the island really from Palma. I would head out the other way, there is the cool lighthouse down there too, can’t remember the name of it … not much use I am!

crazy-legs

Palma is an absolute nightmare for riding, I’d seriously consider staying away from there. The town itself isn’t bad but it’s surrounded by ring roads and motorways, it’s such a pain to get in or out on a bike.

We stayed in Magalluf which, in spite of it’s reputation, was actually quite nice out of season. The only problem was that it limited us a bit to the SW of the island since to negotiate Palma and get out to the east of the island was just too much for a day.
    The main base for most roadies tends to be Pollenca on the northern coast which opens up loads more of the island.

geoffj

Mmmm – just looking at accommodation options. Cala d’Or in the SE is a possibility. I guess I may need to look more NW though.

Mackem

I second the Pollensa recommendation.

Mascy
    Free Member

Look up Doug Petty – he’ll sort you out with local routes & emergency pickup should you overcook a corner coming down Sa Colobra

Sanny
    Free Member

Porto Pollenca is your best bet.

Top rides include Col de Feminea, Col de Sabatia (great wee roadside cafe bar at the top), Puig Major – reasonably long but not too steep at any point, Sa Calobra in the mid day sun if you want to suffer and a host of others. I’m a big fan of evening rides out over towards the lighthouse and back just outside Porto Pollenca. A great wee leg spinner if you like your climbs.

There is also the bonus of a post ride stop in Pollenca old town in the square. La Giardana bakery rocks as do the pizzas in C’an Olesa.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I disagree with the Palma comments, if you are anywhere near the sea, there is a perfectly good cycle path along the front which goes all the way SE to S’Arenal or you can quickly be up in the hills behind Palma to Calvia and Andratx and round the very beautiful coast road to Soller. Theres a road straight ot of Palma via Genova that climbs straight up to about 400m and is surfaced like a billiard table. Our club trip has stayed in C’An Pastilla near the airport for the last 30 years and we love it, much more variety than the North .

gonetothehills
    Free Member

pistonbroke is correct – C’An Pastilla is popular with cyclists and there is a good connecting cyclepath all around the Badia de Palma for many miles. So saying, if you do base yourself up in the mountains in either Soller (great bike shop – Tramuntana Tours, for hire and guiding) or by the sea in the NW in Port de Pollenca – again another great bike shop; Pro Cycle Hire) you’re opening up the real gems of the island – the Tramuntana mountain range that runs down the west coast, without having to experience city centre riding.

It’s a cheaper transfer from the airport to either of those two than say, Cala d’Or, but the east coast is a lot flatter (with some notable exceptions) and there are decent bike hire shops in and around Felanitx / Manacor / Santanyi if you need them.

We stayed in Port de Pollenca last summer and rode every day, straight up into the mountains. More than happy to help you with route suggestions, but Bruce and his team at Pro Cycle Hire have had a hand in producing a very professional map that suggests routes based not just on scenic value and ascents, but on motorised traffic volumes! Top stuff.

You know that if you do go, you’ll have to endure this sort of thing though, don’t you…? 🙂

geoffj

Thanks folks. Lots of good stuff here. Accommodation in Alcudia is now looking favourite. I may book it tomorrow. The only outstanding issue is bike storage whilst there. I’m not sure the hotel will approve of the bike in my room. I’m sure I’ll be able to sort something out though.

Thanks again for all the input. Just need up decide whether to go for 2 or 3 weeks 8)

geoffj

geoffj

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road riding on Mallorca – routes and recommendations’ is closed to new replies.