Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Road riding in the dark
  • Northwind

My commute has an unlit fast section, good lights make all the difference. Lights to be seen with and lights to see, not the same thing! I just use 2 old XML torches as “headlights”, the sort that used to be all the rage for mtbing, they’re too tight beamed to be good offroad really but that makes them ideal on the road- avoids glare risk which would definitely be an issue with my widebeam mtb lights that I use now.

I reckon I’m more visible in the dark than in summer.

TiRed

xposure Strada on the bars with a Joystick in the jersey as backup

I point my Joystick down at the road for potholes. My Strada is a Mk2 (440 lumens).

Rode 100 km last night with Strada and Fly 6 (basically a flood Joystick). Plenty of light. Steamed glasses was more of an issue for visibility. I’d say about 800 lumens of well aimed light is plenty for the road. The latest Strada provides that. Might upgrade.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Recommendations for a bar light I’d say something that has a proper beam pattern (German regs). I run a B&M dynamo light, benp1’s suggestion sounds like a good alternative if you don’t want to fit a dynamo.

I’d quite like to try one of these. I’ve got the Strada, which I like, but it’s not really got a cut off in the same way as the B&M so you still need to point it down a bit.

I’m tempted to try the Garmin Varia front one which has a proper beam pattern and the focus changes with speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

The best thing I used for light distribution was one of these cheapo lights (but with a proper battery, I don’t want to burn) and one of these wide angle lenses.

The beam pattern becomes a letterbox oblong which looks bizarre, but on road once you adjust it right it’s actually fantastic. Wide spread across the road but zero dazzling, because the light doesn’t go much above the top of the letterbox.

johnx2
    Free Member

Good for seeing cars round corners on twisty little lanes but a bit boring. Too boring to do on my own.

jamiep
    Free Member

This week I got an all-in-one light from Torchy The Battery Boy, which really is excellent for road riding.
    Dual lights, one beam, one flood, which are controlled separately. Side illuminated too for side visibility. USB rechargeable. £35 reduced from £40 from £45.

benp1

Given the cost of the Strada, I’m really surprised that Exposure didn’t put in some sort of beam cut off

mrblobby
    Free Member

Given the cost of the Strada, I’m really surprised that Exposure didn’t put in some sort of beam cut off

It’s more a letterbox shape (much as Molgrips describes above.) Which does mean that it still works as intended if you mount it upside down under the bars, which I do.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Really not looking forward to riding to work in the dark & back.

Depressing time coming up.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I used to love a few laps of Richmond Park in the dark when i was in London.

Closed to cars, so you’ve got the roads to yourself.
    B&M dyno lights are great too.

Surprising number of badgers!

ransos
    Free Member

I use a B&M Ixon Premium battery light. Lasts 5 hours on full beam and takes rechargeable AAs, so it’s ideal for overnight rides.

stumpy01

ransos – Member

I use a B&M Ixon Premium battery light. Lasts 5 hours on full beam and takes rechargeable AAs, so it’s ideal for overnight rides.

I keep looking into getting one of these, as I hate the idea of dazzling oncoming traffic…
    For the light output they seem quite expensive, given what the ‘cheap’ lights cost. But, I suppose if all of that light is going on the road, it will be more effective.
    Hard to quantify, but how bright is it? I’ve seen reviews that have said find for ‘fast road riding’ and others that say it’s fine for in town commuting, but not for open road riding as the beam isn’t bright enough & you can’t see far enough ahead to go above 15mph or so. As ever with internet reviews, there seems to be a real mix of thoughts….

avdave2

Thanks for the recommendations, at £35 I think I’ll go with the suggestion of jamiep and get the Torchy one.

ransos
    Free Member

I keep looking into getting one of these, as I hate the idea of dazzling oncoming traffic…
    For the light output they seem quite expensive, given what the ‘cheap’ lights cost. But, I suppose if all of that light is going on the road, it will be more effective.
    Hard to quantify, but how bright is it? I’ve seen reviews that have said find for ‘fast road riding’ and others that say it’s fine for in town commuting, but not for open road riding as the beam isn’t bright enough & you can’t see far enough ahead to go above 15mph or so. As ever with internet reviews, there seems to be a real mix of thoughts….

I find it fine up to about 20mph, which is plenty enough for most night riding. It’s definitely better on the road than my 1000 lumen mtb light, which wastes most of its output. The only problem with it is on shared paths: because it puts all of the beam on the road, it can be hard to see pedestrians if the path is completely dark.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find it fine up to about 20mph, which is plenty enough for most night riding. It’s definitely better on the road than my 1000 lumen mtb light, which wastes most of its output.

https://www.strava.com/activities/718539682/analysis
    well for the ride that kicked off the post it hit sunset at the top so most of the dark stuff was 50kph+, a good forward beam is key at that point… at the fastest I was catching the car in front which was giving me a better light spread off the rear lights, so next time head lamp and aim the front better

whitestone
    Free Member

it can be hard to see pedestrians if the path is completely dark.

Oh god! You’ve reminded me – phone zombies on the canal tow path, dressed in black and engrossed in the screen of their device they are almost impossible to see until the last minute.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Having forgotten to charge my strada and having the last half hour of last nights country lane ride with it in low power mode I’m reminded of how good road lights are these days!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in the dark’ is closed to new replies.