Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road riding in Mallorca
  • damitamit
    Free Member

Going on a stag do to Mallorca (Palma) on the 15th July, and was thinking of going a couple days early and get some road riding in.

Has anyone been?

Would it be easy to just go out riding each day or better to find a cycling tour company?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not a roadie myself, but have done plenty of mountain biking in Mallorca and understand that it's considered v good for road riding. The climate means it's used as a winter training ground for the Tour etc.

Nice climb if you build your bike up at the airport and ride to Soller!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

From Palma you have a good choice of routes, the hills to the E over to Calvia and Andratx are nice and the coast road round to Deia and Soller is fabulous. No need to get a guide, just a map. Getting out of Palma can be a bit nerve racking with the traffic but it's generally fine.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ps – get in touch with Andy at Tramuntana Tours, I'm sure he can advise and hire bikes

http://www.tramuntanatours.com/cycling.html

saladdodger
    Free Member

the best road riding ever for me

ride north to soller up the slight slope 7 miles of climbing iirc and then a fantatic decent to pollensa fan fuggin tastic

just get a map

damitamit
    Free Member

Flights booked 🙂 Got 2 and a half days before the stag piss up starts.

Gonna just rent a bike and get a map. These people seem good: http://www.procyclehire.com/

corroded
    Free Member

Good call, it's a fantastic place. Have done a lot of road riding on the island and Port de Pollensa is a good start point for a short loop through the mountains (Pollensa – Lluc – Campanet – Pollensa) or extend it all the way to Soller and back via Orient, Alaro, Campanet).

MrBlond
    Free Member

Very good call, road cycling in Mallorca is great.

I've used procyclehire a couple of years ago, bikes were sound and they had plenty of advice on routes, maps etc.

They are pretty much the other side of the island from Palma though.

damitamit
    Free Member

According to their site, they will deliver the bike to any hotel on the island…

allthegear
    Free Member

Went road riding there February before last for a week and we really enjoyed it. Was staying near Palma and we rode various places North and West of Palma.

Seem to remember going down into the little bay below Valldemosa (very dodgy spelling!) and the guy's brakes/carbon wheels really not being up to the job of stopping him on the way down the hairpins! He was a hell of a lot quicker than me back up after lunch, though…

May have some recorded routed on my GPS. I can check later.

Rachel

corroded
    Free Member

If you're leaving from Palma, the climb over the coll de Soller on the way to Soller is a rite of passage (head for Bunyola, continue upwards). After Soller, bear left to Deia, go past Valldemossa to Banyalbufar and back to Palma via La Granja.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in Mallorca’ is closed to new replies.