Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road riding in bad weather
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

was hoping to do a spot of riding over Xmas, but at best the roads have just tramlines of cleared road in the snow, these are on fairly busy roads.

I think I’m gonna go running instead. feels risky to ride and will inconvenience drivers.

What would you do?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

See my reply in the other thread

mikey74
    Free Member

If it’s on a road bike then stay away from the roads at the moment: They are dangerous enough as it is with other cars, without adding black ice into the equation.

My roadie isn’t coming out until the snow is completely gone and it warms up a bit, reducing the risk of ice.

andrewh
    Free Member

Been on the roads loads, but using the SS MTB with some worn knobblies, absolutely fine. Not venturing out on slicks for some time though, and all club road rides cancelled until further notice, all my roadie-friends are turboing.

If it keeps snowing until March and no-one else vntures out I may win the first TT of the year 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ride yer bike. Inconvenience drivers? Well let me apologise for breathing!

aracer
    Free Member

If it keeps snowing until March and no-one else vntures out I may win the first TT of the year

Except going on the turbo is really good training if you’re doing it properly (better than the normal slow road rides they’d be doing), and doubtless some will be sad dedicated enough to do lots on a turbo.

Personally there’s no way I’d be going out riding on the roads at the moment. Though I do have the option of xc skiing when it’s like this.

iamtheresurrection

I’m sitting here with a big lump on my left knee and a sore shoulder after diving out of the way of some daft bint who lost it going around a corner.

When she came to a stop she would have missed me by a couple of foot, but there was no way of knowing that as she came spinning towards me. Luckily there was plenty snow so I didn’t kill me new jacket at the same time…

No problem riding on the snow and ice on the bike if you were the only one out there, it’s the other road users that are the danger when it’s this slippery.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in bad weather’ is closed to new replies.