Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road ride Aberdeen -> Banff
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I may soon have the option to do this as a point to point ride, are there any quiet/fun roads or will it be a 'mare?

whyter

You could do a bit "offroad" on the Buchan Way then head over to Banff from Maud?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump*

Route seems to be on A947, would be late Sunday avo, gonna be a nightmare traffic wise?

druidh
    Free Member

I did this a few weeks back Al.

The A90 out of Aberdeen is pretty unpleasant and I didn't fancy the Buchan Way( I actually wanted too see Peterhead etc too).

I took a few back roads (starting with the B999) until I could cut over to the A975 through Cruden Bay, then followed the (now much quieter) A90 through Peterhead to Fraserburgh. I bascailly then stuck to the coast using the B9031. This is hillier than it at first appears.

Of course, if you're gonna wimp out, you could try a more direct route…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks but those are different roads ❓

stabilizers

There is great road riding up here. One of my favourite rides is Inverurie to Portsoy which is in the right general direction. Get yourself a good OS map or plug a route into your Garmin (or what ever). Pick a line through the back roads. Some of the B roads can be race tracks but I suppose they're very nice if you are used to heavy traffic. A vague route I might take would be
    Aberdeen > Inverurie via Dyce then via B977 then back roads.
    Inverurie > Turriff start B9001 then cut left to Whiteford > Durno > Rayne > Fisherford > B922 > Turriff. Then it looks like the Buchan way that follows the River Deveron to MacDuff, Banff.
    I have not done the last part but I reckon it would be OK. I reckon 55 – 60 miles.
    Hope it helps

stabilizers

Oops. That last bit is sustrans 1.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmm thanks all sounding a bit complex, I was hoping for a straightforward 2.5 hour razz!

stabilizers

Complex indeed but if you want to avoid the traffic getting a bit cosy then I would stick mainly to the back roads. Route finding will not be easy so take a map if you do go. Avoid A947, B999 up to Pitmedden and B9001 to Rothienorman although the latter probably is not that bad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road ride Aberdeen -> Banff’ is closed to new replies.