Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Road rage 'issue'
  • neil853
    Free Member

On my 12 mile commute there’s one particualr bloke who gets too close when passing, to the extent that he has more or less clipped my arm with his wing mirror and this has happened 5 or 6 times. This monring he did the same but didn’t get the run of lights on me so i caught him up. I tapped on the window and commented that he was too close, he ignored me and when driving off swerved to make some idol gesture of intimidation, from then on i admit i lost it a bit and when i caught him again at the next lights i lost my temper.

What is the next step? friends who cycle in london kicks cars, rip wing mirrors off or worse, i don’t see that as the answer but what is the solution? take his number and report him to the police? what would they do? seems no sense in hurting my hand hitting the guy, something i was very keen on this morning but glad i didn’t does there?

yossarian
    Free Member

the next step is the old bill

the minute you start kicking him/his car or whatever – you lose.

2 things

No. 1 – report him and mention that when you tried to talk to him he swerved off in a reckless manner
    No. 2 – the next time you see him tell him you have reported him

cynic-al
    Free Member

take his number and report him to the police?

If he keeps on doing it this seems reasonable to me, despite what the hard men will tell you, confrontation may not resolve this in a good way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d get my hands on a helmet camera for a start. This chump isn’t going to give up.

And learn how to bunnyhop sideways up kerbs, too. Becasue he’ll always win the battle, sadly.

But yeah, the other day I threatened to feed some oaf his wing mirror. Analy.

theotherjonv

Confrontational way. Report him to the police, admit you lost your rag and shouted at him but now he is deliberately driving close or swerving into you every time he sees you. May have the effect and they’ll have a word, they may not; and if they do have a word will he then do even more ridiculous stuff. If it continues, helmet cam it which with your original complaint might create another bottle throwing white van man case.

Non-confrontational. Change your route or timing to avoid him.

ski
    Free Member

Wonder if the driver is just targeting you or all cyclists?

If its happened 5 or 6 times, then call the Police and pick up a cheap mini video camera off ebay to record as PP says.

Can you find another route in and avoid that road for a while?

Me, I would not do anything directly to upset the moron, but that’s just me.

project
    Free Member

GET A MUVI, mini camera, got the the 75 quid original and noiw a 12.99 from the 7dayshop.com free delivery.

Then you have the eveidence,and can post it on here.

In chester we have a self proclaimed chap who has knocked cyclists off bikes on a sustrans trrack and now accuses the cyclists of knocking him over.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m torn, my reasoned ‘day’ head says just ignore it and enjoy the rest of your commute and accept that some people get too close, he’s oboviously a moron with no balls so just leave it. Then my irrational side says he is a danger to other cyclists and not just me and deserves a good slap. I don’t see him that often that i can recall, maybe 10 times in the last 12 months, its not an everyday occurance. Next time i see him i’ll take the number and report him to the police, i’ll see what happens from there 🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

Given you meet him on a regular basis then I imagine kicking his wing mirror off will result in you getting squished at some point in the future. Might be worth getting his reg and reporting him but good luck getting very far with that.

rudedog
    Free Member

open his boot or passenger door for him next time you go passed 😉

neil853
    Free Member

open his boot or passenger door for him next time you go passed

Tried that, the door was locked, when i said i lost my temper…….

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Helmet cam, report him.

I had a one off problem like this last year with a WVM, cut me up twice in a couple of hundred yards, I rapped on his rear door with my knuckle, like all/most WVM he denied any wrong doing. Sadly I don’t have a helmet cam & I didn’t get his number. Wasn’t a typical route for me, so have not had a recurrence of the problem.

ojom
    Free Member

Make a poster for your back with his Reg Number on it and a message saying something like… ‘need to re-sit his test’ or something.
    Or – ‘leave some f—ing room’

It might embarrass him.

neil853
    Free Member

Make a poster for your back with his Reg Number on it and a message saying something like… ‘need to re-sit his test’ or something.
    Or – ‘leave some f—ing room’

It might embarrass him.

Ha ha i like that a lot 8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

as above report him. try to get footage.

before you report him. sit down and try and write out a detailed (and factual) as possible report. This will allow you to have something toi give to the police not just a rant.

ie. dates, times, locations, actions. Be honest admit you shouted etc – otherwise the cops will lose interest.

continue to keep the diary. and follow up with the police every so often to make sure they are pursuing it. try to get witnesses or film it.

I have a camera like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-cam-SpyCam-MD80-DC-/300462799463?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item45f4fa7a67

it needs a HQ sd card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Secure-Digital-Capacity-MicroSDHC/dp/B0013DXVYK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1285233848&sr=1-3

£20 and your recording.

cookeaa

Sounds like a classic case of tin box syndrome. He’s safe in his tin bubble, gather evidence, helmet cam is a good suggestion. Then pass it on to the rozzers. If his licence is under threat that’s probably the only thing that will stop him being a cock.

Bez

So these cameras then, are they any use in twilight and is the quality good enough to get a number plate when it’s doing a relative 30mph?

project
    Free Member

Yep, and they do sound as well, well worth the money, wear it on the back of your helmet for the rear shots of the idiots in cars.

They run for about an hour and a half, also dont forget to make a comentry, like vauxhall vectra, abc 123 d overtok me on prices road at 09.00 hrs and cut in.

crazy-legs

I reported a road rage attack to the police a couple of years ago (more sever than your admittedly, I got run off the road by a van) but the police took it VERY seriously and kept me informed as they followed it up, had a phone call every couple of days from them (even though all they had was my word, no evidence or witnesses at all).

DON’T lose your rag, if you see the guy regularly, the situation will just escalate from near miss to you damaging his property to him clipping you at speed and you’ll lose. Report the car and reg to the police, keep a log of every incident with the guy. If there’s any witnesses, try and get their details as well.

Other than that, video footage or avoid the route for a while.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 camera then give it to the police – keep calm though when you filming 😉

stumpy01

Definitely report it to the Police, make records of incidents and perhaps it might be worth telling him you’ve reported him if you get the opportunity.

Cheap video camera might be a good idea if you can afford to go down that route. Perhaps make a sign for your bag that says “smile, you’re on my CCTV”

Bez

Tidy. Usable in the rain?

Although I have a 2hr commute so a longer-lasting version would help…

ski
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

as above report him. try to get footage.

before you report him. sit down and try and write out a detailed (and factual) as possible report. This will allow you to have something toi give to the police not just a rant.

ie. dates, times, locations, actions. Be honest admit you shouted etc – otherwise the cops will lose interest.

continue to keep the diary. and follow up with the police every so often to make sure they are pursuing it. try to get witnesses or film it.

I have a camera like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-cam-SpyCam-MD80-DC-/300462799463?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item45f4fa7a67

it needs a HQ sd card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Secure-Digital-Capacity-MicroSDHC/dp/B0013DXVYK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1285233848&sr=1-3

£20 and your recording.

thomthumb – I had a play with one of these, but found it only recorded for 10min or so,with a 2gig card, not sure why, maybe I set it up incorrectly?

Saying that, the quality was great for picking up reg plates (at 12-20mph) info and the sound quality was fine for picking up a conversation as long as you were not riding at the time 😉

Mine came with a bracket to fit it to your bike or helmet too.

project
    Free Member

Few years ago when camera phones first came in a taxi overtook me and pulled in almost straight away, to turn left at the light,i got the phone out pointed at the taxi driver, and shouted candid camera,hesaid what are you doing, i told him i was going to post it on a web site caleed http://www.fatBastardsdrivingtaxis.com .

He was not amused, and sadly i lost the vid when i lost the phone.

hora
    Free Member

Police. DO NOT GET INVOLVED ANYMORE WITH HIM. it may end in a fist fight which you may win or a kicked dent to his car.

The next day, the next week or month you wont remember anything but waking up in hospital with a drip attached to you.

Its a criminal matter. Hes deliberately driving close. Report him ASAP. Get a log/record and call again. I’d even be tempted to dial 999 on each event. Sorry, IMO if its consistent I’d want him reported/interviewed. Why wait until the day you are on the road and serious hurt?

AdeC
    Free Member

whats all this? balanced advice on STW? A thread about road rage and no one has mentioned bombers. MTFU and get him owned!

or, alternatively, follow the sensible advise above. Good Luck. I dont commute by bike as i am not good at handling these situations.

nosedive
    Free Member

I had a mate report something similar to the police and they took it very seriously. It’s easy for them to track a reg plate and actually do something about the complaint so unlike other forms of anti-social behaviour I think they have quite a good record

thomthumb
    Free Member

I had a play with one of these, but found it only recorded for 10min or so,with a 2gig card, not sure why, maybe I set it up incorrectly?

i have an 8gb card and have now since found out that due to the file system (fat32 i think) it would be massively lucky to go over an hour as there is a 4gb file limit.

I have not really had much chance to play with my camera. I bought it in june so thats a rubbish excuse. although i have made a 30 min video from my car rear view mirror!! (test run)

the only thing i can think of is maybe the switch got knocked off?

there is a v. long thread on bike radar which has loads of info on.

hora
    Free Member

I most certainly wouldn’t kick or damage someones car.

It could flip very badly against you.

Think of it this way, I’m being a complete arse of a driver and hate cyclists. One day a cyclist retaliated and dents my car. I collar him and tell the Police the cyclist was riding aggressively sticking fingers up at other drivers then took offence to me.

Probably result in a caution/record for the previously innocent cyclist along with a bill for the damage.

Or worse, the driver becomes so wound up a few days later he swerves and knocks the cyclist over and carries on driving off scott-free.

See who loses here?

hora
    Free Member

I abhore violence and take a dim-view on physical and actual threats. I could probably do some damage but I’ll never find out. Thank ****.

Use your head, thats how you remove a menace or reduce an idiot longterm.

docrobster
    Free Member

I had an incident many years ago when a guy in truck full of scrap metal cut me up to turn left in front of me resulting in me crashing. He stopped, not to check I was ok, but to tell me it was my fault as I was riding along on the tops so couldn’t reach the brakes when he cut in on me. The w4nker then offered to go to his yard and sort it out properly. I just rode off and left him to it. If it happened now I would take it straight to the police. So should you.

RealMan
    Free Member

Use your head, thats how you remove a menace or reduce an idiot longterm.

Helmet cam seems like the best idea. But you have to do something, before he comes just a bit too close and you end up under his wheel.

Kahurangi

Then my [strike]ir[/strike]rational side says he is a danger to other cyclists and not just me and deserves a good slap

FTFY

Hope you get it sorted peacefully and through the propery channels!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The whole open door/kick car/eject water from bottle through open drivers window thing is all very good and well, I’ve done all three, but it does tend to make these penises VERY angry VERY quickly. Which is fine, and prehaps the intention, but they will then attempt to kill you. Personally its not a game I like to play very often.

ski
    Free Member

but they will then attempt to kill you

again 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Indeed, only intentionally this time, rather than just becuase they can’t be arsed to look beyond the end of their noses. usually with some form of misplaced righteous indignation firing their tiny minds.

I usually just keep tabs of where the numpties are and move right out into the centre of the lane when they approach. If they still insist on attempting to kill you, its probably wiser, though less satisfying, to get out of the way and live to fight another day (when the traffic is properly backed up, so you can get away scot free 8) )

R7 TPN, you sir, are a _ _ _ _

hora
    Free Member

Aye and whilst you are decaying in the ground, your partner has moved on and is pregnant with someone new he’ll have a dangerous driving conviction and paying extra insurance premiums for a few years.

fisha
    Free Member

R7 TPN, you sir, are a _ _ _ _

Why not get a T-shirt with that written on the back. Or some witty comment ( which escapes me at the moment ) mentioning that VRM.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only 5 hours late!

hora
    Free Member

Or. If you know the time he drives down there everyday. Take the car instead tomorrow. Overtake, pullin/stop infront of him and approach his drivers window and say ‘Right. Lets have a word about how I want you to behave in future’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Road rage 'issue'’ is closed to new replies.