• This topic has 88 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Road rage incident – opinions please
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – today I had a nice little road rage incident. I am not totally without blame but I am interested in your opinions.

I was stationary at traffic lights in an ASL. BMW 6 series ( of course) pulls up alongside, female passenger throws rubbish out just missing me. I pick it up – say – “Don’t throw rubbish” and offer it back to her – not aggressively – she gestures towards me as if to take it – I lob it gently thru the open window – Lights change I leg it to roars from the driver.

On the next block by dint of driving very aggressively the car gets alongside and surprise surprise – the rubbish comes flying out hitting the back of the bike to the accompaniment of very angry roars and offers to kick my head in. I leg it, down some side streets and away. A couple of miles later I get back on my route and get overtaken by him again – bugger – I thought I had lost him. Swerves at me very aggressively trying to force me to stop. I attempt to leg it again but crash taking a corner too fast into a housing estate – he then drives off at high speed ( I guess I was lucky at that point) But there was witnesses around including another car that stopped to make sure I was OK.

Checked with police – no CCTV, I only have a partial reg no so as I am basically unhurt it seems pointless to waste police time on it so no formal complaint.

so – who else would have challenged the litter thrower – its not he first time I have done so. Any other opinions?

oxnop
    Free Member

Good on you!

Most people would have said nothing (but will have an opinion on here!) 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Yes to challenging the litter thrower.

No to chucking stuff through the window. That will just piss people off.

Glad you’re ok, move on from it and be a little more curteous in future.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would have ripped of his arm and beat him to death with it.

Yours,

Internet Tough Guy.

sc-xc

Shouldn’t have ridden off. People are very brave in cars, less so when they get out. You legging it will have definitely worsened the situation.

You must have known you would get a reaction, if you don’t want to hangs around – why bother starting it in the first place? I have done something similar, many years ago. It was outside a macdonalds and with a half full milkshake. He was livid, very shouty. He didn’t get out though (maybe because I didn’t run off)

RealMan
    Free Member

What was the litter? If you chucked like a half a kebab through their window, I can sort of understand them being a little angry.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

They proved they were **** by throwing the rubbish… You are vulnerable on the bike and coud have got yourself killed.. They werent worth it!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought dropping litter was an offence, so therefore the cops should be interested in that, and then to basically chase after you as well, I’d definately get the Police to chase it up.

Even with a partial reg there cant me that many 6 series around.

SaxonRider

I say well done! Just glad you’re okay.

scaredypants

I’d challenge her – have done in the past

stoopid to “lob it gently through the window” though, and I suspect you’re “massaging” the true intent and certainly the way it’d be interpreted

next time pull out your phone & hold it up as if filming (of course, actually do so if you get the time)

PJM1974
    Free Member

You did the right thing by reporting it.

It’s not worth dissecting it, I had a BMW pull out on me a few years back and he apologised. A minute later he pulled up to remonstrate, asking why I was wearing black and riding a black bike if I didn’t want to get run over. A minute later he tried to force me off the road. After that, he seemed to have a nervous breakdown at the wheel and beached the car on some grass.

My guess is that the passenger was winding the driver up, never underestimate the power of a wounded gold digging female.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What was the rubbish? Other than the car and the inhabitants…

RealMan
    Free Member

I had a BMW pull out on me a few years back and he apologised. A minute later he pulled up to remonstrate, asking why I was wearing black and riding a black bike if I didn’t want to get run over. A minute later he tried to force me off the road. After that, he seemed to have a nervous breakdown at the wheel and beached the car on some grass.

😯

sobriety
    Free Member

No to chucking stuff through the window. That will just piss people off

Someone hit my dad with a still lit cigarette when he was on his motorbike at lights, they didn’t like it when it landed in their lap at the next set!

PJM1974
    Free Member

That is very true. It’s also the most scared I’ve ever been on two wheels.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have challenged them, there are too many nutters out there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The rubbish was a half eaten sandwich in a paper bag I think. Its squidged when she caught it.

and I suspect you’re “massaging” the true intent and certainly the way it’d be interpreted

Gentle lob was all it was – not done in anger

No phone so no camera

No point in making an offical complaint. It would take a lot of police time to chase it up without a full number and then there is no chance of a prosecution without witnesses or CCTV.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Stuff like this never goes well, especially if its starts in such a confrontational way.

Just ignore the idiots. They’ll continue being idiots whether you challenge them or not, but at least if you leave them alone you’ll live to see another day.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive remonstrated with wrongdoers, and been remonstrated with by the righteous, and people can learn, but not if they are defensive and angry.
    I think it was going well until you bunged it through the window, the driver may well have got all macho anyway, but I reckon the woman might have learned something about herself, and about her boyfriend into the bargain.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I once had a road rage incident when I was driving a car and some idiot took exception to me overtaking him from a set of lights on a dual carriage way.

He followed me for about 5 miles nearly hitting me a few times, and I just took different directions in the hope he would get bored and go the way he wanted to go. Eventually dialled 999 and the cops were very helpful and told me how to get to the nearest Police station. In the end the guy just disappeared.

I got 2 further phone calls back from the Police, the first to say that I had indirectly driven near to where the guy lived, and that they were going round to have a chat with him.

Second telephone call they asked me for a very clear description of the guy, which unfortunately I could not give as I was too busy trying not to be driven off the road.

The copper actually was dissapointed that I couldnt give a full description. He said that the car was registered to a female only, and her husband had been banned from driving!

scaredypants

I once rode past a bloke just standing by the side of a road and he kicked a load of papers into the road (not at me deliberately) and walked off.

I stopped & shouted something like “Shall I pick it up for you? – cock!”
    We had a bit of a shout at each other and off I went

Short while later the house went up for sale. Looking back at the situation I have a nasty feeling he was a funeral attendee on the day I had a go 😳 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect the guy would still have gone ballistic even if all I had done was remonstrated with them for chucking the litter

bruk

I have given people back their own rubbish before. It does always surprise them. Some have apologised, others have sworn at me. Always start with something non confrontational like ‘you appear to have dropped this’

When lights changed legging it will have angered them further. Wait and motion for them to carry on. Much rather have 3 tons of idiot in front of me where I can see him.

Anyway report it, naff all will happen but it builds a general picture for the polis.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am fairly sure if I hadn’t legged it he would have got out of the car and thumped me. I’m a lover not a fighter

Diane
    Free Member

Good for you! What a twit!

BikePawl
    Free Member

It’s all down to road positioning. if you’d been in the primary position it would never have happened 🙂
    You were totally correct to deal with BMW cocks like this, if ordinary people don’t take a stand they will take over the world, oh they all ready have!!!!!

Bruk has the right idea, better they are in front of you.
    Hope the crash didn’t hurt you or your bike.
    Better get that smart phone soon so you can record these incidents

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m a lover not a fighter

I imagine if you had started humping his leg, he would have been too surprised to punch you.

scaredypants

If you’ve no phone, another thing to do is start repeating their registration number, maybe and a description of them if/as they get out of the car

oldnpastit

Good for you. Glad you weren’t hurt though.

bruk

If he got out the car, get your bike between you and him or turn around and leg it back down the pavement against traffic so he can’t follow you.

Why no phone, the camera aspect alone is so useful every day?

Anyway keep challenging people but try to be non confrontational to avoid getting a leathering.

proteus
    Free Member

BMW 6 series ( of course)
    are you sure it wasn’t a fish supper? you still appear to have a chip on your shoulder…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bikes fine pawl – me a couple of bruises and a small tear in my jacket
    Bruk – I don’t own a mobile

Maybe I should have legged it the other way – the thing is I had got away from him easily – it was a couple of miles later after a major junction that he caught up with me again and I crashed trying to leg it again

Jamie – I might just do that next time

Mintman
    Free Member

Good for you upholding common etiquette!

Perhaps another option would be to have pinned the half eaten savoury snack under a windscreen wiper or wedged in the recess between the bonnet and the window. I bet that nobody driving a 6 series wants to drive through Edinburgh with a half eaten sandwich stuck to their car! It’d force him to stop, get out and et voila; your chance to escape!

This course of action is likely to upset I suspect…

billyboy
    Free Member

You are living in the age of “shit bags rule ok”.

Whatever you do to challenge wrong doing, just remember that a car is a weapon and anyone in one can kill you.

A gent in our cycle club was cut up by an elderly lady a few months back. She then got caught at the next lights, so he pulled up beside her and told her what she had done and that it had been dangerous to him. Knowing him a little, I’m fairly sure this would have been conducted reasonably politely.
    He then makes a mistake.
    Having talked to her he rides in front of her and waits for the lights to change. Little old lady turns into a she-devil, guns the motor and runs him over. Luckily he fell away from the bike and she ran over the back wheel. He is certain she did it deliberately but she played the shocked old lady trick and escaped with an attendance at a driver training centre rather than a court case.

Attempted murder to let off with a sanction……….

Her insurance did pay out enough for a new bing bong carbon road bike….but that was largely down to a neck/back trauma. If it hadn’t been for that and for the fact that his injury was well documented, he would not have had enough to replace his bike new, like for like.

billyboy
    Free Member

Your man there was probably the local drug baron…possibly even had a shooter in the car

nmdbase
    Free Member

All mouth and no trousers 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

You provoked them so the police wouldnt be interested in it.Count yourself lucky he wasnt some nutter ninja meister with a machete.You could have been sliced down the middle in one blow.. lucky escape.

:::grins and nods with raised eyebrows:::

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member

All mouth and no trousers

Me or him? 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

You = Mouth

Him = Trousers

samuri
    Free Member

I’d have just told them they were idiots for throwing the litter out.

No matter though, the first crime was committed when they started to use the car as a weapon. The police should be concerned about that and if they’re not you should escalate. No amount of prior interaction should justify trying to bully a cyclist off the road with a 2 ton car.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Road rage incident – opinions please’ is closed to new replies.