Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road positioning and drop
  • DT78
    Free Member

So watching the sufferfest vids I realised how flat backed and low the pros ride on the bike. Now I know I’m not and never will be a pro but I measured my drop, and it is only 6cm from saddle tip to hoods. If I try to go and lower than that I actually knee myself in the chest at the top of the pedal stroke and restrict my breathing. Raising my saddle means I am start rocking at high cadence.

So how do these guys ride like that? I am flexible, can easily put back of palms on the floor/head on knees without any trouble.

scaredypants

I actually knee myself in the “chest”

Yeh, I get that too

jekkyl

ride a proper bike with proper handlebars and your calamity will disappear. 😀

20 mins till I finish work.

legend
    Free Member

restricted breathing sounds like you’re back is bent.

6 hours ago I finished work

midlifecrashes

Sports bra for the moobs? 🙂

scaredypants

does you bike have a high BB (crosser maybe ?)

aP
    Free Member

Why would a high bottom bracket make it more difficult to achieve a position with a large drop to the bars?

DT78
    Free Member

Lol not a fatty so no moobs! Its a rose pro rs dont think it has a particularly high bb but im no expert.
    When you say back bent i was thinking a curve in the back might actually give more breathing space

scaredypants

Why would a high bottom bracket make it more difficult to achieve a position with a large drop to the bars?

I suppose I was imagining a high BB with a low front, so knees closer to chest, but I guess that’d be unlikely in a sensible frame. My problem’s belly, not chest, so it’s my thighs that catch and the only solution I can see would be 125mm cranks 😳

pdw
    Free Member

Move the saddle forward, or get a bit further forward on the saddle. When you see the pros with elbows dropped, they’re usually perched right on the tip of the saddle which opens up the angle at the hips. Same reason that TT bikes typically have a very steep seat tube.

ollie51
    Free Member

Yeah, the reason you’re kneeing yourself in the chest is because you can’t achieve the pelvic tilt that the pros can when they run lots of bar drop. That mostly due to flexibility.

Although most people who can put their hands flat on the floor can tolerate more than 6cm of drop. 6cm is by no means a small amount, but it’s definitely not loads – unless you’re really short, then it could be quite a lot. However you may have long arms or poor glute flexibility (or both), thus meaning the greater drop doesn’t work for you.

You shouldn’t have to slam your saddle forwards to achieve the position, that’s usually something you do when you’re running too much drop for your glute flexibility.

That’s me in the kind of position you’re suggesting, knee is a few mm behind the pedal axle. https://vimeo.com/87893932

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for putting that vid up, I think you are right, when I lean forwards and go lower on the hoods / drops I kind of fold in half rather than have a curved spin like you do in that vid (if that makes sense). So my pelvis rotates towards the top tube whereas yours pelvis looks more upright with the spine curving to make the drop, and therefore your chest is higher up than mine.

What sort of stretches or exercise help with improving flexibility in the pelvis?

ollie51
    Free Member

What sort of stretches or exercise help with improving flexibility in the pelvis?

Obviously you can’t stretch a bone 😉 However, you primarily aim to stretch the glutes, adductors, lower back and hamstrings. Foam rollers and google are your friends!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road positioning and drop’ is closed to new replies.