Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Road ID bracelet.
  • Kryton57

Saw this in C+ and thought it was a good idea, so thought I’d post it. It may be useful for some who like me, mostly rides alone on the road / in the woods and keeps forgetting to carry any ID.

Ships to the UK for about £1.50.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

crikey
    Free Member

Paper and pen?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve got one

iainc

I got one a month or so back – nice bit of kit

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Never ride out without mine – it’s as much a part of my kit as my bike helmet & gloves.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got one. I keep forgetting to use it though. $20 all in.

Old thread about ’em here, with usual arguments: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ice-id-thing

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about this recently again.

Thanks for the reminder/heads-up.

smell_it
    Free Member

Mines 2 years old and still looks like new; donor and DNAR, plus contacts etc. Seems sensible to me.

Kuco

I’ve had one for a few years, thought it be good to identify the corpse a bit quicker. Even use one of the old straps as a watch strap.

crikey
    Free Member

donor and DNAR

Unfortunately neither of which will be accepted at face value. Neither will blood type.

The only useful info will be contact details, hence my pen and paper suggestion.

Jamie
    Free Member

The only useful info will be contact details, hence my pen and paper suggestion.

I wanted to get my monies worth, so added as much crap info as I could. It was either blood type, or put my favourite tv show on there 8)

cinnamon_girl

crikey – are you saying that no info on an ID thingy will be taken notice of? I now wear one all the time when riding and it includes my medical condition.

As medication isn’t stated, I guess it’s not much help really?

Your input would be really useful.

Edit: 😆 at Jamie

ourmaninthenorth

Crikey – is any medical info useful to put on one?

fisha
    Free Member

Its not something I would discourage anybody wearing if it gives some peace of mind, and I like the idea of medical awareness aspects.

From my work perspective, its very rare that we come across someone who we can’t identify within a reasonable time frame. If the person can’t give a name themselves, its most often the case that someone at the scene can give some form of detail.

Janesy
    Free Member

Ive got one. The last line says: Rule #5 Harden the FK up.

It works.

druidh
    Free Member

Define “reasonable”. I usually ride alone so it’s very unlikely anyone at the scene would be able to identify me.

crikey
    Free Member

The problem is that anyone acting on the info from a bracelet can’t be sure that the info is correct. Identifiers like name, address and so on can be used to get hold of medical records and then confirmation of any condition can be used to act on, but to act directly on the info on a bracelet?

What if someone puts incorrect info on the bracelet?
    What if it’s not yours; maybe you wear it in memory of someone?
    Blood will always be typed using a sample of your blood before you get any, unless the situation is so extreme, in which case you will get O- blood anyway.

Organ donation, at present, only takes place with the consent of your next of kin, so calling yourself an organ donor means little in a legal sense.
    DNAR orders are, or should be, related to specific hospital admissions and specific circumstances and again, should be discussed with your next of kin, so writing it on a bracelet means little.

The best info is that from a verifiable medical source; best to tell your GP whatever you might be taking… 😉

bigG
    Free Member

I have one, I wear it when I’m out riding either alone or with a group. It stops my Mrs worrying about me being found unconscious at the road side and unidentifiable. I don’t carry any other form of ID and tend to do a fair amount of riding alone. When I do ride as part of a group it serves as a means of them contacting the Mrs to tell her how badly damaged I am after falling off, again.

crikey
    Free Member

..I’ve looked after a few unidentified patients over the years, and always IDed them after a few hours with no detriment to them. In the UK, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Kryton57

druidh – Member
    Define “reasonable”. I usually ride alone so it’s very unlikely anyone at the scene would be able to identify me.

Yup, me too, hence the purchase with contact details added. My wife can tell Dr Death everything he needs to know.

Kuco

Mine has my mothers and sisters phone number on it so if they don’t believe the name on the tag they have the option to call one of the numbers.

And it wouldn’t be the first time when the press has asked for the publics help to try to identify someone.

cinnamon_girl

To be fair, when I ended up in A & E last year, I had no ID. Once I regained consciousness I could give the info.

But as regards medication, I now self-medicate and get my supplies from abroad. There’s no way the NHS would give them to me BUT if I went without, my body would crash.

crikey
    Free Member

..which is kind of my point really; unless you are awake and with it enough to tell people, it would be good if someone trustworthy and available knew this info.

I’ve looked after a number of young men who we suspected, just by looking at them, used steroids. This has implications in terms of infection, in terms of fluid balance and electrolyte disturbances. The problem is that we have no way of confirming it, and even when awake they are strangely reticent about the drugs we presume they use.

Dunno, it’s a tricky one, but I’d be tempted to tell my GP anyway, just in case.

Edit: and nobody will judge you for it, at least not in my experience. Yes, you might get a bit of pursed lips and Ooh, I’m not sure you should be doing it, but in a serious situation we’d rather know than not.

hilldodger
    Free Member

c_g, why not just take the inserts/product information sheets or a bit of the packaging from your meds and keep them in a zipbag in your purse/wallet/camelbak/jersy pocket etc – my not be taken as gospel by the medics but would at least alert them to the possibility of your self-prescribing?

cinnamon_girl

Yeah, a difficult one as I only ride on my own but, heck, I’ve been doing that for donkey’s years anyway.

Appreciate what you are saying re steroids and I guess that could be applied to many other meds too? Certainly not bothered about being judged – am too old and cynical to give a stuff!

hilldodger – good idea although the biggest difficulty is where to put it! Too much clutter is the order of the day. 😳

ourmaninthenorth

The best info is that from a verifiable medical source; best to tell your GP whatever you might be taking…

Have you met my GP..?

Sensible advice. I’ll keep riding (almost always alone) with my phone and some ID.

fisha
    Free Member

define reasonable …

well, the majority of my work is in urban areas (Police), people are about, and by reasonable i mean by the time they are going into an ambulance, you generally have some details of some form to go on cause of others aroundabout, and by the time they get to the hospital, background checks have starters for 10 on better id’s.

I do admit thats different from solo activity like mtb, and I do think its right in those cases to have some ID / emergency contact details on you, and to let someone know where your going / time of return.

I normally draw a basic map for the wife showing my planned route.

Common sense really.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m being thick here, but I’m still not getting it.

I’m out on my road bike, on my own, 50 miles from home.
    I get hit by a car and I’m unconscious.
    In my pockets I have a locked smartphone, an energy bar, a set of arm warmers, a multi-tool and a spare tube.

How are you able to determine who I am and who to contact?
    (I did wonder if Phone IMEIs are traceable).

imnotverygood

You’re a legend Colin.. Even in Ayrshire they’d know who you are.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If only we had some sort of card with ID on it that linked to our medical records that we were obliged to carry. Like an ID CARD nice and official like…..

druidh
    Free Member

😆

But only if I was wearing my favourite Kona jersey?

TheWrongTrousers

Seen these ?
    Kinda QR barcode scannable thingys :

http://www.onelifeid.com/page/products

I believe they can also be used as the timing tag thing for sportives and the like

JoeG
    Free Member

I use a safeTband myself. Though I’m in the US so the Swiss-looking aspect of it really does not matter over here. I have mine on my camelbak.

iainc

fisha »
    well, the majority of my work is in urban areas (Police), people are about, and by reasonable i mean by the time they are going into an ambulance, you generally have some details of some form to go on cause of others aroundabout, and by the time they get to the hospital, background checks have starters for 10 on better id’s.

Sorry if I’m being thick here, but I’m still not getting it.

I’m out on my road bike, on my own, 50 miles from home.
    I get hit by a car and I’m unconscious.
    In my pockets I have a locked smartphone, an energy bar, a set of arm warmers, a multi-tool and a spare tube.

How are you able to determine who I am and who to contact?
    (I did wonder if Phone IMEIs are traceable).

+1

Lifer
    Free Member

I just take the ID bit out of my wallet and stick it in the jersey. Driving license, contact numbers (on a bit of paper) and emergency £20.

It’s the same as the insert in this wallet:

canny1
    Free Member

I wear one ever since there was a fatality for some poor guy. No id, he was wearing one of our old club tops. Police called up number on our website, with vague description of him & bike. Lots of worrying follow up calls along the lines of ‘Hi is that Dave, good you are still alive’, dreaded calling & getting someones wife.
    Eventually we worked out he must be a lapsed member from a few years back and gave police our suspected name. Unsure how they finally confirmed it, guess they went round to his house 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

driving license for me – thought I lost mine a while ago and paid for another – was suppossed to send the original back but I leave it in my pack so I don’t forget it.

Suppose having a lock on the smartphone isn’t such a great idea, will maybe put the key to the lock on the driving license…

DanW
    Free Member

Name, DOB, and some contact details can’t do any harm.

Might not directly influence treatment but hopefully delays the time loved ones are panicking for.

Can’t do any harm and look discreet, I am happy I got one if only for peace of mind.

mudsux
    Free Member

I bought one of these http://www.yikesid.com/

£10 engraved and delivered from the USA.

I ended up popping a couple of stitches into each of the corners of the plate as I wear it open water swimming as well.

I bought it as I am forever fearful of being squished whilst road riding. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

teasel
    Free Member

Not for me, they look like they chafe…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Road ID bracelet.’ is closed to new replies.