Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • Road hydraulic discs
  • clubber
    Free Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tech-colnago-launch-c59-disc

Colnago are putting their weight behind it as apparently are Shimano who incidentally are a big UCI sponsor…

Something to note – the Formula hydraulic discs – with their own brake/shift levers – maybe the first ones of the rumoured brake/shifters that will be compatible with Di2 but not Shimano…

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’ll never catch on. Canti’s are good enough. Proper racers go faster with poor brakes. Having better brakes is no benefit.

😉

cp

very neat.

Wonder if deep section full carbon rims can become lighter now they don’t have to support a braking surface and associated heat generation.

Rik
    Free Member

Cynic-al – that’s a road bike…..not cross

Wow – very cool.

Goes off to research again. Must say I prefer SRAMs hyrdo brake/cable gear solution rather than di2 – but would prefer shimano hydros/Sti’s over Avid/double tap.

Waits for big shimano decision. If you look at the new Shimano Sora Sti design it looks like they have made the hood bigger maybe a rolling change to eventually be able to fit in a hydro master cyclinder….

meehaja
    Free Member

Dammit. First I wanted a road bike for a faster commute, then I wanted a SS road bike for no maintenance probs (and iron legs), then I wanted a ‘cross bike for the better brakes, then I wanted a steel cross bike as I like the narrow tubes, then I wanted a croix de fer for steel/cross/disc lovliness, now I want hydraulic discs on a super fast looking road bike.

I want never gets, it just gets more demanding!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Ah, the joys of threading hydraulic hose through a frame then having to bleed afterwards!

flip
    Free Member

Merde..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

That hose routing doesn’t look too bad. At least there’s a plastic insert so you can hook the hose end out as you feed it through. Having seen some mind-bogglingly stupid solutions to internal brake and gear cables, I’d welcome hydro + Di2.

As CP says, there’ll be a proper leap forward in road wheel technology now. Overall weights won’t drop, but I’d expect to see some fancy-pants rim-tyre systems with supposedly 20% more everything!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*looks closely*

Is that the old (3 bolts) formula mount re-appearing?

Could formula be trying to cash in by getting their brakes as the standard?

[edited] it’s not

JoB
    Free Member

going to be popular among those that race sportives i’d wager

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ JoB – but sportives are races! 😉

Rik, I know, just poking fun at the usual crap posted re. skinny tyres and discs.

ourmaninthenorth

Am still torn on this.

Love the grey paint job, though.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’m in no rush for disk’s on a road bike, but i’ll give them a go quite happily. But that Colnago has made me pitch a trouser tent!

crazy-legs

That looks fantastic (and I’m not a fan of Colnago at all).

At least this time they’ve managed to stop themselves throwing a million colours of garish paint at it. The discs look neat, full internal cable routing, no calipers spoiling the clean lines of the frame and a mere 200g weight gain over cable brakes.

Someone find TJ – I’m sure he’ll think it’s massively unnecessary… 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC this is one topic he does not hold strong opinions on.

mintimperial

I think that looks rather ace, but then I’m not a roadie.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Quite in favour of disc brakes on all bikes as they have massive advantages and are a very simple system of few moving parts.

Rik
    Free Member

I can’t find any futher info on the formula brakes as yet…..

Solo
    Free Member

My next build willbe a hydro braked road bike.

For me ?, cable and rim brakes are deader than corduroy.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I like corduroy, rim brakes and cables.

Solo
    Free Member

I can’t find any futher info on the formula brakes as yet…..

Heres a fact for you.

They wont be cheap affordable !.
    😉

Rik
    Free Member

Wouldn’t buy formula brakes .

I’m waiting for a Ultegra level hydro brake, cable gear Sti’s myself. Available in both 2×10 and 3×10 systems like they are now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as they helmets have massive advantages and are a very simple system of few moving parts.

*lights touch paper and leggs it*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and a mere 200g weight gain over cable brakes.

See, this wouldn’t be a problem with the current 15 lb/6.8 kg weight limit as they’d just use a lighter rim or take some ballast out of the frame. But the UCI’s talking about dropping the weight limit which would (presumably) lead to a race to the lowest weight where 400g (I’m guessing it means 200g per brake seeing as a caliper now is ~100g) would be very significant.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah but the UCI is unlikely to make the new weight limit anything that can’t fairly easily be achieved with off the shelf parts so it’s unlikely that anyone will struggle to hit the new limit even with 200g extra.

Stoner
    Free Member

in a related conversation, Brant sent me this link. May be of interest to some in here:

Road Bike Disc Brakes Are Coming, But Will They Work?

jota180
    Free Member

If only we could dig up the old threads where there were folks claiming that a well set up pair of V brakes were as good as discs, we could simply read that thread instead

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, read that article on the failed brakes on a road bike. Interesting…

but… BB7s have been in use on road bikes for a while and it’s clearly not the case that discs fundamentally fail. Add in the silly light rotors used and the author’s own admission that it wasn’t clear cut.

It clearly does show though that you need to consider heat dissapation.

bigblackshed

Hope are developing a cable to hyd brake system for CX.

HOPE CABLE / HYD CX BRAKE

Wont be long before the levers follow from some other manufactures.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m waiting for a Ultegra level hydro brake, cable gear Sti’s myself. Available in both 2×10 and 3×10 systems like they are now.

Yeap !, me too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

that bikerumour article is a joke and should be pulled IMO, gives bike journos a bad name.

RV
    Free Member

Seen some new Shimano prototype brakes that make an improvement over the existing durarace brakes and look very different. All compatible with the Di2 system. Not due for release for a while yet.

Stoner
    Free Member

the journo stuff isnt worth reading, but the stuff from the manufacturers is more informative.

njee20
    Free Member

that bikerumour article is a joke and should be pulled IMO, gives bike journos a bad name.

The problem is that it’s very easy to scoff at him and say “what an idiot, not knowing how to brake” – but is everyone who buys a road bike going to get a free lesson on how to use the brakes? He admits there are issues with the choice of equipment, but we can’t expect everyone to know how to use their new ‘far superior’ brakes.

People drag the brakes. They have always been able to do this with cable brakes. They will expect hydro dicss to be far better (just look at half the opinions on here), and will not expect to need to change their technique. L’etape will be utter carnage!

I can’t see rims getting much lighter. the need for a braking surface on a tub rim is fairly arbitrary seeing as they’re basically a square profile anyway. Clinchers are heavy because you need to reinforce the bead for the tyres a fair bit. This doesn’t change because you take out the need for a braking surface.

mustard
    Free Member

With Shimano rolling Di2 out to groups like Alfine I can’t see them bothering to combine mechanical gears and hydro discs. I think your options will be Di2+hydro/Di2+mechanical/mechanical+mechanical. Is it not in that artical (cba reading it again, it may have been somewhere else I read it) that Shimano say they are bringing out a new mechanical disc?

cp

Clinchers are heavy because you need to reinforce the bead for the tyres a fair bit. This doesn’t change because you take out the need for a braking surface.

An aluminium braking surface wears down to a minimum point, so there’s some weight gone – just make an aluminium rim the otherwise minimum thickness.

I’ve only ever seen carbon clinchers with an aluminium braking surface so that heat is dealt with better and the clincher doesn’t pop off when the resin softens… you don’t have heat build up there, so would we see all-carbon clinchers? (maybe these already exist, but I’ve not seen them).

cp

OK, I’ve googled an found full carbon clinchers already exist. I can imagine though that even these can be made quite a bot lighter with discs as the resin wont soften with brake temperature build up, so you don’t need extra meat there to support the tyre when warm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    but we can’t expect everyone to know how to use their new ‘far superior’ brakes.

I think we can expect a journo to try and find out, and when things go wrong, not turn his own pathetic story into an article.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Brilliant. The first really decent road bike with discs*. I’m very tempted. Anyone know when this is available?

*Volagi have one but it’s a bit of a munter.

juan
    Free Member

Ah, the joys of threading hydraulic hose through a frame then having to bleed afterwards!

Not with formula new system (as in the new meta fame)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Road hydraulic discs’ is closed to new replies.