Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road helmet vs MTB helmet.
  • jam-bo

My old S1 is on it’s last legs. It probably should have been replaced years ago.

I only really want one helmet, is the difference between road helmets and MTB helmets mostly marketing and the addition of a peak?

I don’t want an all-mountain lid as there too bloody hot.

RustySpanner

I only really want one helmet, is the difference between road helmets and MTB helmets mostly marketing and the addition of a peak?

Yes, in my experience.

I’ve gone for a Giro Monza roadie helmet this time, last one was a Giro E2.

Only real difference appears to be the peak, which did help keep vegetation out of my face occasionally, but I don’t really miss.

I tend to just buy whatever fits and is on sale.

qwerty
    Free Member

A Specialized S1? If so, if it were to say, break, Specialized do a very good crash replacement deal, I got a Decibel after my S1 broke, a mate has a newer model an S Works I think which looks good. Their crash replacement deal will keep me with then for a while.

ade
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giro Athlon that’s perfect for swinging both ways. If I’m doing a road ride of any decent distance I pop the visor off to make it a touch more aero.

BadlyWiredDog

Athlon +1 – it even comes with little blanks to fill in the slots where the peak locates.

rootes1

is the difference between road helmets and MTB helmets mostly marketing and the addition of a peak?

Yes:

Road – Giro Saros

MTB – Giro Athlon

same helmet but MTB athlon is a tenner more and comes with a knarly ‘peak’

I have a saros – good all round helmet

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I had an S1, the nicest looking helmet ever made, imo. Got brok up an ting in a crash, Spesh replaced it for fifty quid with an S-Works one which is nowhere near as nice I don’t think. 🙁 Very light though, and the peak just pops off to ‘roadify’ it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road helmet vs MTB helmet.’ is closed to new replies.