Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road groupsets – help needed
  • lunge

I am considering buying a road bike in the near future and need a little help. I’m trying to work out where each groupset sits in the range and how it compares to other manufacturer, i.e. XT is roughly the same level as X-9 off road, but what is the Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo road equivalent. I’d be looking at bikes around £800 so I guess I’m looking at the road equivalent of SLX or Deore.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If this is concidered OT then apologies, mods you are welcome to move it.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Alivio = Sora
    Deore = Tiagra
    SLX = 105
    XT = Ultegra
    XTR = Dura Ace

Dunno much about Campag ‘sos I don’t get on with the shifters and I can’t afford SRAM.

FuzzyWuzzy

XTR = Dura-Ace = Campag Super Record/Record = SRAM Red
    XT = Ultegra = Chorus = Force
    SLX = 105 = Centaur = Rival

That said they’re not really a match lower down the ranges

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You’d be looking at fairly low-spec Campag, might stretch to Veloce

In order of most blink first Campag is
    Super Record
    Record
    Chorus
    Centaur
    Veloce
    Mirage
    Xenon

(think the last two IIRC are being phased out, Campag can’t seem to compete with Shimano at entry level stuff.

Not an exaqct like for like match to the Shimano groupsets – think of Super Record/Record as Dura Ace, Chorus/Centaur as Ultegra, Veloce as 105. Ish.

SRAM have a smaller range still I think
    Red
    Rival
    Force

Red being their Dura Ace equivalent, again, don’t think either Rival or Force are real ‘entry level’ a la Sora or Tiagra.

Think for 800 quid you’d probably be looking at Tiagra or Veloce. Maybe find a nice last years season model. Campag have ‘upgraded’ Veloce recently so you might find the older style knocking around on bikes with a discount.

zaskar
    Free Member

Don’t forget that a good rider with Tigra will easily beat a crap rider with Ultegra.

So if you’re training and upgrading with time then go 105/Ultegra.

I use full 105 for training but my bike needs warranty parts.

So I used my commuter (tigra bits) and still raced fine yesterday.

You will notice the lighter weight and smoother shifting.

A nice option is an Aluminum Ultegra spec bike and then upgrade to a carbon frame when you’re fit enough to take part in sportives. Keep the alu frame for winter etc. Based on your budget-Trek 1.9 haggle?

njee20
    Free Member

Trek 1.9s are now about £1100, not likely to get one for £800! I’d also say get the best frame you can and ignore the rest of the parts, they’re all disposable items in the long run.

The groupsets are functionally pretty similar within each manufacturer, you’ll almost certainly be looking at Shimano on most new bikes. Tiagra or 105 are fine, the former is 9 speed, the latter 10 speed, not a lot else to choose between them.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

hav’nt tiagra got a slightly different function on the sti to 105 up? i seem to recall my father in laws tiagra equipped trek has a thumb thing on the sti.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Gav that is the Sora ones. The tiagra ones now have the gear inicator window. I feel that the Sora/Tiagra are a bit higher than Alivio/Deore

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road groupsets – help needed’ is closed to new replies.