• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road going tricycle – where from??
  • freeagent
    Free Member

my Dad is keen on taking up cycling again (aged 72)
    He used to ride a fair bit when he was younger but his balance isn’t quite so good these days and he has lost his bottle a bit.
    He is interested in getting a tricycle, for road rides which could be up to 40 miles – so something which is more road-bike based than ladies shopper based.

Where do we look for such a contraption??
    Any experiences good or bad?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bencooper to the forum!

convert

Would a recumbent trike freak him out?

Forgive the potential rudeness but is he an ‘old’ 72? Or is there a medical reason for the balance issues? I say that as my 70yr old mum rides her sit up and beg ebike with a group of even older crusties and is considered the youthful woose of the group with her fancy electric ways. 72 isn’t that old these days.

edhornby

longstaff cycles – they make them

have a look for a trike conversion kit – a trike axle that goes onto a standard road bike, have a look on ebay or ask longstaffs if they sell them (or know of one on sale)

try the cyclingweakly classifieds?

freeagent
    Free Member

Forgive the potential rudeness but is he an ‘old’ 72? Or is there a medical reason for the balance issues? I say that as my 70yr old mum rides her sit up and beg ebike with a group of even older crusties and is considered the youthful woose of the group with her fancy electric ways. 72 isn’t that old these days.

He isn’t a particularly old 72, but he is a T1 Diabetic who occasionally feels a bit wobbly and I think he knows he will feel a bit more relaxed and confident if he can’t keel-over and fall off.

I think a recumbent might freak him out – don’t they freak most people out!!

freeagent
    Free Member

Ohh.. Didn’t know you could buy tricycle conversion kits.
    I’ve got a nearly new Decathlon 26″ MTB in the shed that would fit him pretty well, and might work as a base/donor bike.

Esme
    Free Member

Upright trikes are really scary, particularly on corners or at speed.
    On the other hand, recumbent trikes are safe and lots of fun 😀

schmiken

Pashley do them.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that there’s at least one person on this forum who has one. I think TiRed maybe?

bencooper
    Free Member

For upright trikes it has to be Longstaffs – they’re gorgeous.

But upright trikes aren’t as stable as you’d think, I’d suggest looking seriously at recumbents (and not just because I sell them) – recumbent trikes are almost impossible to fall out of, and are really comfy too.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Something like these might suit him.

Ice Adventure

Catlike Villager

bencooper
    Free Member

Or the Scorpion fs 26:

Or Hase Kettwiesel 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I keep hinting that STW should test the Enduro version of the Scorpion, but no interest yet 😀

eskay

There was a trike class in a time trial I rode recently, most were Longstaffs (and quite a few had disc wheels!).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just bought my friends daughter a trike, although maybe not road-going :

Esme
    Free Member

If Sir Dave’s dad enjoys riding a recumbent, then I’m sure your dad will too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road going tricycle – where from??’ is closed to new replies.