Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Road frame swap, needs to be light, comfy (ish) and look good with campag
  • acjim
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that my Ti road frame (2004 Litespeed Tuscany) is just too small. It’s fast but cripples my neck and lower back. Measured up against my commuter (Arkose) it comes up more than 20mm less long and 30mm short (head tube).

If I was going to swap I’d like something that looks good with the slightly retro bits (carbon chorus and krysium elite wheels) but is at least as light (about 1.2 kg for the frame i think)…

Was looking at Kinesis Aithein – would consider Carbon if it looked right?

Money wise it will need to be less than 1k.

ideas?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Condor Leggero – weighs 1kg, so it’s not super light but they have an excellent reliability record. It’s handmade in Italy by the company that now trades under it’s own brand of ‘Satori’. It’s tube to tube carbon and it’s incredibly comfortable as well as race proven.

It looks good with anything, but especially Campy. JLT Rapha Condor race them in the second tier European race schedule.

I went from a Titanium Condor Moda to the Leggero and was gobsmacked that the Leggero is more comfortable, lighter, stiffer and more responsive.

Retails for £2500; not cheap but a lot cheaper than a lot of the alternatives.

Other option would be a Cervelo S3.

njee20
    Free Member

Think you mean ‘another option’ Geetee, fairly sure more than two frames fit the brief! 😉

Budget is significant, virtually all frames will fit the <1200g benchmark!

What about one of those Genesis frames?

acjim
    Free Member

Unless I can get a second hand one it would need to be less than £1000 to buy. Those Condor’s are lovely but too much money.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes Nick you’re right, ‘another’ option rather than the ‘other’ option.

Sorry my suggestions are too far out of budget. I totally missed your original posting of this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[Edit: posted in entirely the wrong thread]

Back on topic, CAAD10 ocasionaly crops up as a frame only.

lunge

Dolan Ti Frame? Looks pretty at least.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

CAAD10 is available as a frameset for £699.

Or Aithein, Volare or what would a Bowman look like with Campag?

Are you after a racey frame? I.e. is the Litespeed too small or is it just too race orientated? I don’t know what the Litespeed Tuscany is.

boblo
    Free Member

Here we are again. Have a look at Westbrook’s latest Scott Cr1 offer for cheap carbon loveliness.

Here

porlus
    Free Member

If you are considering the Aithein, then just get it. I got mine last year in the sic green colour. Its got Chorus groupset and Shamal wheels. Weight just shy of 16lbs. Rides fantastic. Nice fat carbon seatpost helps loads.

AD

I have an Aithein (anodised black) – looks great with silver/carbon Campag/Fulcrum parts and Zonda wheels. Fantastic bike – in my case it was an insurance replacement for my old Elsworth Flight that I wrecked in a crash. It was a toss up between buying the Aithein or a CAAD10 – the Aithein was available immediately but I suspect the Cannondale would also have been a good choice.

acjim
    Free Member

Any pictures of your kinesis bikes?

Dolan frames look ok, the Dolan Tuono SL would possibly be my choice, never seen one in reality.

My Litepseed would be fine if I was a bit shorter and a bit more flexible – I’m moving towards the comfort = speed view of life!

nerd
    Free Member

Canyon Endurace, in that case. Either CF or AL.
    I have the 2014 Campag Chorus CF version and it is super.
    Frame / fork / stem / seat post package is around £1K

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its not Campag, but you asked for Aithein’s…

acjim
    Free Member

Looks nice, how would it look with trad wheels?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t have any 11speed traditional wheels so can’t swap mine, but google did reveal this – traditional wheels and Campag:

But I do not know what is going on with that stem 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

Unless I can get a second hand one it would need to be less than £1000 to buy. Those Condor’s are lovely but too much money.

They are also too expensive. For that money you can get tube to tube made in Italy and custom geometry/paint.

Re the OP. Save more money until you can get something that looks nice with campag, another £600 should do it 🙂
    I can’t see how an alloy genesis/kinesis type frame can ever do that. A steel enigma would be my choice if limited on budget, or a bowman for bang per buck and not cheap looking.

TiRed

Tuscany is meant to have more relaxed geometry for long days in the saddle. 2 cm too short is a lot, as is the 3 cm shorter head tube. That said, your commuter may be an overly relaxed fit. Have you considered a longer stem and more compact drop handlebars? What stem do you have on it at the moment? You can go to 120 mm without affecting the handling unduly.

That said, if you want another frame, then the CAAD10 will be as light, stiffer and may have a slightly longer head tube (maybe). I also like steel, but it will struggle to match the weight of the Tuscany for the money you want to spend. A little more would buy you a 953 Genesis (half price). You can also buy an 853 Volare, but the matcvh would not be so good. Hora’s Ritchey would look good (grey steel) but not match the weight – a Ritchey WCS fork will be a lot lighter than the stock Real Designs Tuscany, unless you have something nicer.

You really need skinny tubes to look good with that Campag – this from someone who owned a Merlin Cyrene with Campag, which was basically the same bike with fancy engraving (I replaced it with a Shimano-equipped Giant Defy Advanced SL – which is in a different league to be honest).

html6
    Free Member

Consider a carbon Hongfu FM066 SL (superlight). Sub 900 gram frame. Looks great especially the ‘squoval’ downtube.

Rides like a magic carpet. It will practically ride up the hills for you ❗

OK maybe not buts its a good frame. and can be had well under 1K. i think i paid around £540 + import duty

i had a two CAAD10’s and a Supersix before getting one and it compares similarly to those in terms of ride. Geometry is almost identical.

I’ve hit some massive potholes and it hasn’t flinched.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 58cm Supersix?

CAAD10 will be about 1450gm(mine was).

boblo
    Free Member

But I do not know what is going on with that stem

Do NOT let Bikebouy see that, he’ll have an eppy. Many spacers and upside down stem… Tsskkkk 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Take a look at CIOCC frames, traditional Italian brand should fit well with your Campy stuff they do a range of vintage style steel frames or modern Carbon frames.

The Extro is roughly within your price range and weight criteria.
    http://www.cioccuk.co.uk/range/

john_l
    Free Member

Another anodised Aithein with Chorus here & A23 Strada wheels with Deda finishing kit. Really like it. Swapped the group set over from my skinny tuned Scapin Spirit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey. Aithein frameset can be had for under 500 quid too. I’d be tempted.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

or £650 for the Bowman, nice choice to have to make.

Probably leaning on the Bowman side due to the graphics/colourway

dantsw13

Have you considered the Viner Maxima’s that Planet X have? Hand built Italian carbon frame for under a grand.

[/url]image by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

cynic-al
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member
    Hand built Italian

Taiwanese built is universally better IME

dantsw13

Why? Curious not argumentative.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chef, race bike I’d be looking at the Bowman (wish they’d hurry up with their CX offering.) If it was more of a fast road and bit of race thing I’d go Aithein. Based on nothing but a few review and perception 🙂

porlus
    Free Member

Hahahaha that green Aithein is actually mine. Was built by York Cycleworks. Stem was like that after they inputted my previous bikes fit details. Rode it once and got them to reduced the spacers, install a longer and flipped stem. Couldnt stand it looking like that. Looks great now though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah that maps with my thinking too mrblobby.

Great to see a resurgence in ali frames IMO.

acjim
    Free Member

The green frame (bar stem issues

acjim
    Free Member

Not sure why I can’t edit that post, anyway – thanks for all the good advice!

Porlus, can I ask how tall you are and what size frame that is please?

porlus
    Free Member

Forgot what size frame it is bud. Will have a look tomorrow for you. Other stuff for you though. 5’8″ with approx 31″ inside leg. Reach about 25 inches.

cynic-al
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member
    Why? Curious not argumentative.

I don’t know, but my experience of building a few Lolnagos, Pinarellos, Fondriests etc was the frame build quality of the frame was way below mass market.

porlus
    Free Member

Found out my frame size. Its the 50cm one.

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks, my lbs (strada in Bristol) has one in stock so I should get to see it in the flesh….

porlus
    Free Member

Worth seeing one in the flesh. The paint finish is really nice. Like the dice on the rear brake mount as well. Nice touch.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Road frame swap, needs to be light, comfy (ish) and look good with campag’ is closed to new replies.