Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Road etiquette q (silly woman content)
  • dharmstrong
    Free Member

As an addition to the above, you know when someone overtakes you in too high a gear and you hear the engine strain at low revs – how do you know the person you are waving through will actually overtake in a swift manner? They might dawdle and the gap that was safe to overtake no longer is, but they are along side you now.

I will thank for a wait and overtake, I will also give a rubbish overtake a thumbs up – I don’t think aggression towards an impatient driver will help much.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i always give a little wave of thanks for a patient overtaker – more often than not it’s returned, or a “hazard of thanks” sometimes is extra special 🙂

blurty

I used to wave through, I nearly contributed to an accident though when a biker came round the far bend unexpectedly (I.e. f***ing quickly). Partially his fault, partially mine.

I don’t do it any more.

traildog
    Free Member

They were in the wrong as ultimately it is their decision. The information given out is easily miss-read. It’s like flashing lights, people use them to let you out, but you are taught that it should only indicate someones presence.

I will wave through if I’m slowing or pulling over to let a car past(which I do regularly). Otherwise I just leave them too it. Although I do indicate to drivers on occasions when it’s not safe to pass.

convert

On a related note how many people slow roll through laybys or go wide riding past junctions to make themselves more overtakable? I do this more and more – I know cycling militants see this as giving in or unnecessary but I just see it as good manners, like the nice caravanners that pull over every ten minutes to let the line of cars behind them get past.

Dickyboy

convert – yup do so regularly, specially for bigger vehicles to get past

cinnamon_girl

Kinda disappointed that so many feel unable to show a bit of courtesy/good manners although I absolutely understand the reasons why.

To be fair, the vast majority of my road riding is along pot-holed and little used lanes. Some of these are single track and would pull in and stop to let someone through.

When driving I do let cars through by flashing my lights so in effect my road cycling is an extension or another form of my car driving.

Thanks for some interesting reading though, have learned a lot. 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Not cut and dried then!

BC say dont

Do you have a link please?
    On their ride leaders training and My Missus was told on her instructors course not to

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Road etiquette q (silly woman content)’ is closed to new replies.