Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road Disc Brakes – BB5 vs BB7
  • Rik
    Free Member

Okay looking for some road disc brakes for the tourer.

Has anybody off here road both the bb5 and bb7 disc brakes?
    I know they use different pads and the adjustment is different, but more interested in power differences and usability?
    Are there any differences between the two on how often you have to adjust the brakes?

Are the bb5 good or are the bb7s worth the extra money?

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I found BB5s a faff to set up. I wouldn’t use them again.., BB7s have both pads adjustable which I think ( but i have not used them) will be a lot better

simondbarnes

BB7s are streets ahead of BB5s, well worth the extra. Easy to setup, plenty of power. BB5s can be a pain to setup, you can only adjust one pad and don’t seem to be as powerful.

Rik
    Free Member

Any idea why they are not as powerful? They look like they have the same actuating arm but I know they have smaller pads maybe?

woody74

I too pondered this a year ago as there didn’t seem to be much difference apart from price. I plumped for BB5 and generally have been disappointed as there isn’t much stopping power. However I don’t know if this is because of the BB5s or if it’s my setup. I agree with TandemJeremy that the BB5s are a faff to setup as only one pad works.

If I was buying again then I would look at the Shimano Deore disks you can get and that are bikes like the Genesis Croix De Fer as Shimano never make anything that is poor. Avid can be a bit hit or miss.

I also found it quit hard to find the road specific BB5s and had to order from a local IBS and therefore paid a packet.

Sorry that doesn’t really answer your question

druidh
    Free Member

I generally love Shimano brakes but DO NOT even consider getting the Deore cable ones. BB7s all the way.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’ve got BB7’s on my road bike, and no complaints from me. Piece of cake to set up and work reliably all year round. Plenty of stopping power and and easily stop quickly whatever the conditions.

martymac

not really on topic, but @ druidh,
    my mate has deore cable operated discs on the front of his bike, and they work fine.
    my wife has hayes cable operated discs on her bike, and they work fine.
    IME, the tektro cable discs are fairly poor though.
    setup is key here.

MrOvershoot

Have had a set of BB7’s for 7 years that still work very well, only ever worked on BB5’s that seemed to be piss poor in power & a pain to keep running. (these are the MTB version though)
    Have some Shimano Deore cable ones on my CX that are OK but nothing like the power/modulation of Shimano’s hydraulic units

mtbmatt
    Free Member

BB7s are far superior! Well worth the extra money.

waynef
    Free Member

I’ve had a Genesis Croix De Fer on-and-off now for about 2-months, and I found the Shimano Deore set-up really variable.

The front SCREAMS like hell, not to mention that the front forks judder like crazy. The rear is a dream, but it does squeal a bit, but nowhere near as much as the front. Awful, unfortunately. It’s been back to the shop/manufacturer time-after-time and it’s not getting much better unfortunately :o(

Ridden Avid BB7’s on bikes like Jamis Aurora Elite and they seem very well matched and graduated. Smooth action from the front and rear, with the ability to lock either wheel if you/I want. In my humble opinion, the Avid BB7’s inspire far more confidence in them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road Disc Brakes – BB5 vs BB7’ is closed to new replies.