• This topic has 67 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Road cycling team moves
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

No concrete signings for Sky yet, although a few rumours

atlaz
    Free Member

Bernal Gomez, Castroviejo, De La Cruz, Sivakov, Halvorsen

These are all Sky signings but only the second one is a big name. Sivakov is highly considered though, and just left the BMC dev team

mrblobby
    Free Member

See Quintana is confirming he will be at Movistar next year with a focus on the Tour.

Guess this means Landa will get the Giro and Vuelta. I guess he’s still better off than at Sky as Movistar will be all in behind him for those races and no half hearted joint leadership nonsense. I wonder if he’s been promised both races and what that will mean for Quintana if he flops at the Tour.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nairo’s quoted as saying “In 2018, I will ride with the Movistar Team in the Tour de France”.

Should we infer that definitely means leadership?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well Landa has come out and said that he’s not going to be riding in support of another rider anymore.

atlaz
    Free Member

no half hearted joint leadership nonsense

They did it with Valverde and Quintana; don’t see how Landa, Quintana and Valverde would give them any less issues.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dan Martin to UAE.

As a GC leader?

bikebouy
    Free Member

He certainly deserves some support, so I’m hoping UAE throw a few blokes around him.
    QS failed terribly to assist him, I know their ethos is lowland hard riding Belgians, but they really left Dan all alone.. and I didn’t like that very much.

Best of luck Dan.

nbt

Dowsett to Katusha.

Interesting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Interesting that Haas and Boswell have gone over too.

At a guess Dowsett will fit in the races Martin isn’t riding.. Boswell is a strong rider, Haas is a good punter too.. let’s hope they are both allowed to ride it off the front.l

atlaz
    Free Member

QS failed terribly to assist him, I know their ethos is lowland hard riding Belgians, but they really left Dan all alone.

I think this is an empty stereotype. They build a team for one day races then have GT teams for sprints, occasional breakaways and solo GT riders. Jungels is a rouleur but has nailed the Giro white despite having little support. He will never podium at the TdF for them though.

eddie11
    Free Member

QS failed terribly to assist him, I know their ethos is lowland hard riding Belgians, but they really left Dan all alone.
    I think this is an empty stereotype. They build a team for one day races then have GT teams for sprints, occasional breakaways and solo GT riders. Jungels is a rouleur but has nailed the Giro white despite having little support. He will never podium at the TdF for them though.

don’t know, i think this is pretty nail on the head. giro and now just at the vuelta quickstep smashed it the minute there were crosswinds. one crosswind day at the tour and they are all sat at the back with kittel and martin looses time again. not surprised he’s off.

atlaz
    Free Member

Not a team move but in a big WTF moment, Jack Bobridge (you know, former Aussie road champ, retired last year at 27 due to arthritis) has been busted for selling ecstasy. Large amounts of it. Quite the fall from grace in such a short time.

atlaz
    Free Member

Back on Quickstep..

one crosswind day at the tour and they are all sat at the back with kittel and martin looses time again.

The thing is, stage wins at the Tour are probably more important for sponsorship than even finishing 4th or 5th without a stage win. It’s the opposite of Cav at Sky… for Sky with a realistic shot at winning the tour, sacrificing their GC train for a sprint train makes no sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, that’s an interesting career move compared to opening a bike shop or cafe.

Mr Bobridge sold large quantities of MDMA — one batch allegedly containing 146 pills.

Hardly a kingpin, that’s one step up from knocking a few out to mates really.

atlaz
    Free Member

But selling one person 146 pills is a bit more than selling a few pills to mates to fund your night out

chakaping
    Free Member

Totally. Just saying it’s the first rung on the “proper dealer” ladder.

Wonder if he hid them down his seat tube?

atlaz
    Free Member

Soooooo… Talansky has announced his retirement. I guess the prospect of being pro conti or a super-Domestique didn’t appeal.

fifeandy
    Free Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-baarle-close-to-signing-for-team-sky/DvB to SKY?
    Seems like an excellent buy for Sky, Stannard misfiring this year, Rowe decided career was too well so decided to snap his leg to spice things up a bit, so a new new classics contender and big engine for towing peleton in GT’s can only be a good thing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Gerrans to BMC. Expected him to leave Orica but BMC? I can’t see that being a great move.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Probably thinking GVA for cobbles and Gerrans for Ardennes (or at least to support riders like Dennis and Kung… how is he 37 already!)

paton
    Free Member
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Road cycling team moves’ is closed to new replies.