Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road climbs & category's..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Was at Grinton today which is a cat 3, Blubberhouse is a cat 4. Is a 4 steeper/harder/longer than a 3 or is it the other way round?

mcnultycop

Lower number is “harder”, but it can depend on where they come in a stage as to the categorisation.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Lower number, harder climb.
    Apparently based on which gear a car had to engage to make the climb

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’d heard that too, hilldodger (prob on here…) – you can just about imagine some old Renault in the early part of the 20th century trying to make it up the Galibier.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Hors Categorie means the car packed in?

The Galibier killed my Peugeot 206 a few years back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hors categorie is for roads that are not fully surfaced IIRC?

steve_b77
    Free Member

gonetothehills – Member
    I’d heard that too, hilldodger (prob on here…) – you can just about imagine some old Renault in the early part of the 20th century trying to make it up the Galibier.

You’re not far wrong AFAIK the category of the climb is the number of the gear a standard Citroen 2CV can complete the climb in, HC represents a climb that it can’t.

tonyg2003

It was related to car gear but not 2CVs – they are older than that. HC are generally +2000m. I rode the Raid-Alpine last week, so I saw plenty of them.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Hors categorie is for roads that are not fully surfaced IIRC?

It just means out of category, i.e. hard than a cat 1, so a mountain so big or steep that the old Citroen could get up, even in st gear.

It’s also interesting that there’s no hard rules on where one category starts and another ends. So you can end up in a situation where climbs end up uncategorized despite being more difficult than easier climbs in other places.

scaredypants

Hors Categorie means the car packed in?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road climbs & category's..’ is closed to new replies.