Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road circuits
  • rjj
    Free Member

Bit (very) windy this morning and threat of rain so I thought that instead of heading out for ride on the road I would head to the local country park which has a first class 2 mile road circuit. First time I have used it and I have to say I bloody loved it. I thought it would get boring but after about five laps I really got into it, sprinting certain sections, going hard in the gradients – it’s a bit like turbo training but outdoors. I did about 12 laps averaging about 18mph and it really felt like a good work out. The local club use it as a training venue and I am seriously tempted to pop along a have a go at riding in the bunch and then attempting racing on it.
    Great to have place to get out on the bike in a safe no car environment when the weather is a bit dodgy

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, good idea as you can just peel off and head back home if it rains or you get tired.

Somebody ought to invent centres where you can ride your bike round in circles…. oh….

TiRed

I thought it would get boring but after about five laps I really got into it, sprinting certain sections, going hard in the gradients – it’s a bit like turbo training but outdoors

It is a slippery slope to 4th Cat racing. Of course circuit races are great fun. You can buy a license on the line if you just want to have a go. If you are averaging 18mph yourself, then you are ready.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds brilliant. Where is it? 🙂

zilog6128

Fowlmead?

plop_pants
    Free Member

If it is Folwmead then give the Tuesday or Friday training sessions a go. Two groups on a Tuesday so you can start with the fast (27mph ave) group and drop into the slow group if needed. Friday is one group, smaller field than Tuesday and can be better for it.

MoreCashThanDash

If anyone is in the East Midlands I recommend the Cycle nights at Donnington Park. 2.5 miles of lovely tarmac, fun for all tbe family, £1 per person, take a picnic and make an evening of it.

plop_pants
    Free Member

MCTD – now that’s good value for money! £5 at Fowlmead.

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t know if any other motor racing circuits do bike nights, if not then they should.

Donnington has the advantage of the planes going over at 500 feet as well.

rjj
    Free Member

It is indeed Fowlmead and yes plop pants I am planning on giving the Tuesday night sessions a go

eshershore
    Free Member

been to the London Olympics Velo Park recently and really enjoyed the road circuit

properly designed with great flow and corners, smooth surface and only £6 for all day. they’ve also got the tamed down public version of the Olympics bmx track, the indoor track in the Pringle building and 6km of mtb trails which seemed to be under development

much better than the road circuit at the bike park in Gravesend, Kent

here’s the Velo Park

TiRed

It is indeed Fowlmead

Raced the Tour de Fowlmead on Saturday. Excellent course, really enjoyed it. Windy, which made for plenty of attacks. I would recommend it for both training and racing. Plenty of opportunities. You are already fast enough to hang with 4th Cats. A few rides to hone group riding skills and off you go!

zilog6128

I’m fairly local to Fowlmead but have never been. They have an MTB trail which is supposed to be ok but not really worth a special journey. Never even considered just going to ride the road course – I may have to though!

scandal42
    Free Member

For anyone interested there is Adult only access to the Donnington track tonight, 6.45-8pm, £1 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road circuits’ is closed to new replies.