Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road Chainset Replacement on a budget
  • jota180
    Free Member

My training/Winter bike is in need of a new chainset, chain and cassette – It’s currently on a Compact Octalink 9sp 105

In the past I’ve seen loads of deals for 9sp 105 chainsets but it looks like they’re all gone now so what to replace it with? – I don’t want to have to change the STIs etc. I want to try and replace it all for ~£100

I believe there aren’t any issues using a 10sp chainset – so 10sp Tiagra? Which model?
    Anything else Shimano compatible out there worth looking at?

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Don’t know if this would be any good, I have a Nexave chainset: New, never fitted, 170mm crank arms, octalink fitting. Includes self extracting bolts. SG X chainrings, 34 & 46 T, 112BCD, 4 arm. Bought in error. Mega9 compatible.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35851

Currently £41 instead of £109

£20 posted?

jota180
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but a 46T large ring is too small for my needs

Dickyboy

Plenty here no?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/chainsets-road/

No probs with 10sp chainset on 9 speed chain

jota180
    Free Member

Plenty here no?

not really, there’s only the Tiagra 9sp that’s in stock and fits the requirement
    Looks like I can get a 105 from Ribble for £78, add a chain and cassette so around £120

There used to be loads of good deals around but it seems a bit thin on the ground at the moment

cynic-al
    Free Member

why new chainset and not just ring(s)?

jota180
    Free Member

why new chainset and not just ring(s)?

One of the pedal threads is very dodgy, I could get it Helicoiled but probably easier all round to just swap them now, there’s also an awful lot of rub, not really sure how thick they are
    They’ve done well 7 years now

reggiegasket
    Free Member

have a lookout for a Raceface Cadence. Good quality and HT2 compatible.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not sure how you can or would need to look further than the Tiagra 9spd at merlin for about £33, silly money and nicer in the metal, more ultegra/xtr grey than the pic suggests. Go via a cashback site and get another 3% off.

jota180
    Free Member

You’re right about Tiagra at that price, now ordered

Before I spend more than I need to, does anyone know if the XT BB is it compatible with these cranks?
    I have a couple of new ones sat in my workshop.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/chainsets-road/shimano-tiagra-9-speed-compact-chainset.html

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

i think the MTB and road BBs are supposed to be slightly different widths (MTB thicker?), but given the design of the axle with room to manouvre on the splines I would have thought it would work.

We’ve bought a Merlin tiagra for the other half’s road bike build but its still unfitted.

HermanShake
    Free Member

The bbs are different unfortunately, it won’t fit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road Chainset Replacement on a budget’ is closed to new replies.