Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road brakes – have upgraded, but they dont fit…..
  • mcboo
    Free Member

My Boardman Team Carbon road bike came with some fairly average no-name brakes that needed upgrading. Got some SRAM Force, the rear fits and works fine. The front I cant get to fit properly, the bike has a pretty meaty carbon fork, the original caliper had a slightly longer mounting bolt and nut than the new Force one does, I cant get it to tighten properly as the bolt is too short. Anyone know if I can fit a longer bolt to the caliper (doesnt look like I can) or maybe buy a much longer nut?

It does fit to the bike but doesnt tighten right up, can be moved from side to side by hand very easily, had some vibration when heavy braking at the weekend. Probably not something I should ignore.

Thanks

Jerome
    Free Member

buy a much longer nut?
    Any bike shop will sell them
    standard problem
    J.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Depending on how long it is, you may be able to buy a longer one, I needed a longger nut when i fitted a dynamo light to my winter bike, something that Evans on Deansgate in Manchester were able to sort, they had them in because some Treks need very long nuts on their carbon forks apparently.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

is it the recessed top hat style nut? Are you sure its inserted far enough, i made that silly mistake :o(

mcboo
    Free Member

Ah good sounds like I'm not alone…..will go talk to my local guys. Thanks

highclimber
    Free Member

I had the same problem with My P7 rear caliper mount – the bolts on my mono's were 3mm too short for the mount and caliper! got some longer ones from a bolt manufacturer near me

firestarter
    Free Member

i had this with some brakes cant remember the make but i couldnt take out the nut of the caliper so i got a longer top hat for the back worked a treat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road brakes – have upgraded, but they dont fit…..’ is closed to new replies.