• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road bikes… Going to the dark side for commuting
  • willard

Yes, I know this an MTB forum, but people here seem to have a dark side more than most, so I thought that I would be hard pressed to find a better place to ask questions about the benefits/drawbacks of road bikes vs. MTBs for a 4.5 mile commute.

Essentially, I live a sort distance from work, but have two dogs and can’t leave them for very long alone (2 hours tops between feeds and exercise breaks). Up until now I have been using the car for the morning drive to work, then back to home for lunch, then back again, then home again.

It barely warms the car up and leaves me feeling empty, especially given that I used to commute from my last place (ok, before I had dogs)which was something like 15 miles away. I also need to do at least some exercise every day and the dogs have put paid to the running I used to do at lunchtime. But that’s an aside.

So, I have an MTB, but it is slower on the commute than the dodgy old road bike I have. The road bike is not even on its last legs though, it’s past that. If it was a horse, it would be waiting to be glue and pies. I would not even get the cost of postage for it on eBay, which is a shame as it’s given me good service the last few years. I fancy another one, but have no idea what to go for.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent road bike in the cheaper bracket of the market, that I can take to work and back again without attracting too much attention, but at speed.

Cheers!

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

How about a second set of wheels (or just tyres?) for your MTB with some slicks on? They can makea surprising amount of difference to how well an MTB rides on the road. Continental Sport Contacts 26×1.3 are serving me very well at the moment on my commuter. I am in the process of building up a an On-One Pompino though which will replace the current stead. You can pick those up (frame only) for not much at the mo, about £125. Lovely bike.

willard

I thought about that. Certainly replacing my current tyres would speed me up, but even with hybrids/slicks on, it’s still slower than my road bike. I’m not sure I want to muck about with the gears on it either, it’s set up really nicely (well, I think so) at the moment.

It’s an idea though. I might go and have a look at wiggle in a mo.

NormalMan

I for one will be watching this thread with interest. Haven’t owned a darkside machine since I was 13 but am considering getting one. Also looking at the budget end of the market and am looking for something swift, albeit for more general riding rather than a commute.

Aidy
    Free Member

For 4.5 miles, I wouldn’t really bother with a road bike.

Maybe get a set of slicks for the mountain bike?

Aidy
    Free Member

Of course,

If you’re looking to justify the purchase of a new bike with the reasoning that you’ll commute on it, then yes, yes you should buy a road bike.

druidh
    Free Member

Aidy – Member

If you’re looking to justify the purchase of a new bike with the reasoning that you’ll commute on it, then yes, yes you should buy a road bike.

Wot he said.

And what was already said about slicks. If you really want to splash the cash, get another set of wheels (same hubs if possible) and a spare cassette. It’s then only a couple of minutes to swap the wheels over. Frankly, you’re not really going to notice the difference in speed on a 4.5 mile trip.

sc-xc

If you are going to use it for commuting, get a cheap road bike. I tried the slicks route a few years back and the constant road grit really messes your bike up.

barrykellett
    Free Member

What happens if the dogs dont get to see you in 2 hours?
    They sound a bit soft to me!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I’d get rid of the dogs, much more practical. How do you have a life if you can’t ever be away for more than 2 hours!?

First thing I’d do, is stop calling it the darkside, then if you want to, buy a road bike, just don’t kid yourself it’s going to half your commute time. It will be marginally faster, and more comfortable and enjoyable on a road bike though, which for me is sufficient justification.

willard

I can’t get rid of the dogs! In addition to them being adorable spaniels, both are/will be working dogs, so I might need them to help me provide food when swine flu has turned Britain into a zombie-infested wasteland.

Going back to bikes briefly… I agree that slicks make a lot of sense, especially with a more road orientated cassette on the slick hub an some new wheels. With this approach I think it is a lot less likely that I would start contemplating using the bike for say, races, or start wearing lycra on th way in to work (which would be enough to turn stomachs). But, having a road bike would be handy for when I start doing triathlons, which is likely when the peer pressure gets too much.

I think I might need to go see Evans in MK this weekend and see what the budget end of the spectrum brings me.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I think you’ve justified a new bike plenty enough there. If you’re cosidering triathlons in the future then definitely treat(?) yourself to a road bike.

Oh, and lycra isn’t a bad thing. Those who frown upon it are just jealous that they don’t look as good in it as most cyclists do 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I have experienced the nightmare that is a commute on a MTB recently (due to injury). Although 4.5 miles isn’t really worth a new bike, if you’re doing it a couple of extra times a day to see your softy dogs, then why not?
    I am so uninterested in roadbikes that I would never consider splashing out on a new one, but have bought with great success from the classifieds in the local paper (£75 steel Raleigh, £130 alu Peugeot) and Ebay (£60 Coppi frame to replace the Peugeot when the BB siezed, swapping the bits over)
    Wheels bars, mechs, cranks etc replaced as needed, but kept spend to a minimum and have a 18-19lb roadbike which is fine for 3-4 times a week 23 mile roundtrip. I think I bought the Raleigh in about 1998.

Go second hand!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I decided to start commuting 32 miles round trip and at first did it on a 99 Zaskar with semi sliks it was painful and I kept spinning out down the hills. I then convinced my work that starting our own cyclescheme was a good plan and now commute in on a Trek 1.2 tripple the rrp is £575 but its only costing me £25 a month. Commuting times went from 1.5-2 hours down to 1-1.25 hours but then the distance is about 3 times that of yours covered but time saving is all relative. 4-5 miles will only take 25-15 mins no matter what your riding.

Remember that the number of bikes you should own is N+1 where N= the number of bikes you already own.

MoreCashThanDash

Over 4 miles, a road bike won’t make much difference, and a good commuter really should have full guards, and that won’t look so good if you do triathlons with it!

I’d be tempted to go for the new wheels and slicks option for the commute, and get a “decent” bike for the triathlon.

jonb
    Free Member

I’d get a singlespeed mountainbike set up with a big gear slick tyres and mudguards.

Less fragile than a road bike and requires less maintenance. Winter roads kill bikes unless you clean them everyday. Mountain bikes are better in traffic IME, better riding position to react to traffic, pot holes etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I ride a hybrid MTB up to about 7 miles each way (slicks and full mudguards)
    Road for longer but would use a MTB/hack/pub bike in your position with change of tyres as other says,
    would also tell the dogs to D(og)TFU every two hours wtf is that all about?

Keva
    Free Member

Giant XTC carbon/alloy alliance frame
    rc31 forks
    11-25 rear cassette
    panaracer rimbo tyres/ 90psi

cruises at 18-20mph
    gets up to 25mph with a bit of effort

does all my running around and still good for xc if I swap the tyres.

Kev

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes… Going to the dark side for commuting’ is closed to new replies.