Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road Bikes
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying a road bike. I know nothing and I mean nothing about road bikes and my local roadie shop are, not welcoming, is probably the best way to describe it so I’ve decided to go S/H.

I’m a large bloke 16 stone 6ft, 32 leg. Not wobbly fat but certainly no waif so I need something sturdy and I don’t fancy being crouched over so I think something a little more upright is required. I may well end up hating it so I don’t want to spend much money first off, what should I be looking for in a good secondhand buy?

aP
    Free Member

Got to Pearsons.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think something a little more upright is required

Road tyres on your mountain bike?

Granted I’m not 16 stone but I have wavered between 13 and 14 for some years. I’m 6 foot too. I bought a bottom of the range Trek road bike for £250 over 11 years ago. I’ve had to replace the wheels after a wrong turn took me onto a rather bumpy lane, but otherwise it is still going strong.

My old man has one of those hybrid/commuter style bikes and loves it. More upright, more comfort and it serves him well enough up and down the Peak District hills but is good for the “family” trails too.

If you know nothing about what you’re after my advice would be find a better bike shop and look at last season’s models if you want to save a few quid.

mudsux
    Free Member

something with a sportive, audax or cx geometry might be good for you.
    the ability to take full length mudguards would also give you the versatility of year-round use.
    no mention of budget but something like these?
    – planet-x kaffenback
    – charge filter
    – cannondale caad-x ~ reviewed well in C+ mag.
    – genesis croix de fer

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Can you get a go on a mate’s bike to have an idea of sizing?

CX bikes are generally shorter in the top tube, and higher at the front (see PlanetX Uncle John, Spesh Tricross etc.)

Otherwise, you can always flip the stem and/or fit a shorter/higher one to reduce the reach. Something like an entry level Trek or Spesh would be a good s/hand buy. Headtubes are reasonably long so not super racey/low.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My local is Sigma in Kingston which is apparently very good but I’m not their target demographic on account of not having 5 grand for a bike and also not having 5 grand for a bike. Oddly when I went there with my uber fit brother in law who did have 5 grand for a bike he wasn’t their target market either. I think because he asked some questions about steel frames and was deemed unworthy of further sales effort.

I suppose I could spend 4-600 S/H

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road Bikes’ is closed to new replies.