Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road bike wheel alignment
  • rjturner
    Free Member

I have a 12 year old aluminium Principia road bike, which no matter how tight I get the rear wheel QR, on a ride the wheel pulls to one side (you can see differing gaps between wheel and chain-stays).
    I then have to stop and release the wheel and refasten QR to get the wheel centred.

Thoughts?

jam-bo

Get a better qr?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Horizontal or vertical drop outs?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If it’s horizontal dropout then the wheel should sit square with only light pressure on skewer, if not the wheel needs re-dishing.

If it’s vertical then get a better QR that clamps tighter.

AD

Try an ‘old fashioned’ (read cheap) Shimano or Campag skewer – the ones with an internal cam – that’ll quickly confirm whether or not you need a better QR.
    Something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-Shimano-R500-105-Quality-Front-and-Rear-Quick-Releases-Silver-Black-/261353464914?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cd9e16452

rjturner
    Free Member

Thanks for your help.

Vertical drop outs by the way.

I’ll give a new QR a try.

oldgit
    Free Member

Try a new QR, my Tacx one never held the wheel on road. When you drop the wheel in does it automatically align? it should do

beefheart
    Free Member

Adjust the breaks?
    Seriously, if it isn’t the breaks, it has to be the wheels!

Speshpaul

Seriously, its not safe to ride a bike with breaks on it.

Oh, your wheel, if its starts out in the right place and then moves its the QR as mentioned above. shimano cheap and cheerful but also has a vice like grip, also mentioned above.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road bike wheel alignment’ is closed to new replies.