Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Road Bike tyre PSI??
  • timc
    Free Member

No doubt a regular question, but whats a sensible pressure to be running on a road bike?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Look as the sidewall of your tyres. Read the recommended pressure settings. Try that first and you might be surprised….

🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

~100psi

Less if you weigh less, more if you weigh more.

timc
    Free Member

its doesnt have a recommended, just a MAX… presume you will say thats the same thing though, but its ok, i can wait for someone useful to come alone 🙄

timc
    Free Member

less or more than what real man? 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

If you weigh like 50-60kg then you might find 80psi a bit more comfortable, if you’re a fatty then 120psi might be spot on.

I know a guy who’s ran 180psi in a race before. He said it was uncomfortable but that was it. And I’ve got back from long rides and found out I’ve only had about 60psi or so in, so don’t worry too much about it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I seem to like about 80-90psi. Harder seems to get harsher but no faster I weigh 75kg.

I saw a web article on this. It concluded there was no point in inflation any higher than necessary to achieve 15% “height deflection” of the tyre.

Lower pressure = more grip and comfort, more tyre life. Higher pressure = makes you think you must be going faster on that 17mph training run.

parkesie
    Free Member

im 90kg run between 100 and 120. start with 100 and just play with it find whats comfortable or fast and what your happy with.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I like about 110, any less feels like i’ve got flat tyres and wallows in the corners. i run a bit less in the winter as it grips a bit better.

Been using road tubeless for a while now and they roll loads better and grip better at higher pressure. up to 125/130

xiphon
    Free Member

Around 100-110.

Bit of a bone shaker though….

aP
    Free Member

90-95 psi front and 95-100 rear for 23mm tires, about 5 psi less for 28mm tires.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I run 110psi on 23mm tyres and I’m 80kgs.

Pooley
    Free Member

As all above have stated, there are clearly variables, percieved speed & comfort, rider weight, tyre width, surface condition. As a starting point 80 -110 psi seems about it. I regularly ride/race on an airfield surface which is superb, maximum high pressure works well in those conditions.

yossarian
    Free Member

Running around 95psi in 23mm @ 90kg

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

About 110psi here. Thats on 23s and i’m the best part of 14 stone. 😕

Out of interest, what are people running on their cx bikes? I tend to have mine fairly hard for the road stuff but it feels a bit harsh in the off road sections of my rides (and i cant be faffed to stop and change pressures mid ride).

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

100psi for me @ 54kgs.

FuzzyWuzzy

100psi for me @ 95kgs

I wouldn’t really worry about it too much, as long as you’re not getting lots of pinch-flats from potholes but also not bouncing around all over the shop then you’re fine. Anything over about 120psi though should be reserved for the track…

HermanShake
    Free Member

125psi (max), 64kg, Conti GP4000. I float out of the saddle quite a lot as Brighton roads are horrendous. I really feel when the pressure has dropped in the tyres, they lose their ‘zip’. I have some Bar Phat under my tape which I think makes this comfortable to do. It’s quite comfy having chubby bars!

maxlite
    Free Member

80psi (bar 6) @ 65kg

thomthumb
    Free Member

I saw a web article on this. It concluded there was no point in inflation any higher than necessary to achieve 15% “height deflection” of the tyre.

+1

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

list time i mentioned this i got berated for having my front tire lower than the rear. but you do that on a car (more at the front though)

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on how much you weigh. If a whippet, 80psi, if a clydesdale then 110.

100 for me at 85kg although it’s pretty much ok at 90 ish.

Beware though they do go down over time even without a puncture. Check them weekly.

EDIT seems like according to Tom Thumb’s article I have it bang on.

bakey

110psi for me @ 65kg

trickydisco
    Free Member

110psi for me @ 70kg

recently changed my tyres to ultremo r1’s. Wow they feel fast (weighed 130grams on my scales)

jonb
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever run mine at more than 90psi and I’m 80kg.

I read somewhere that higher pressures actually increase rolling resistance as the tarmac is no perfectly flat and it allows the tyre to deform over the uneven surface. Same arguement as used for there being less rolling resistance with tubeless running at lower pressures.

Might have been publishe by schwalbe.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run my road tubeless at around 85psi (front) and 90psi (rear)

I disagree with the comment that higher pressures = more grip

I find there is much more grip at 90psi than 110psi, as the tyre is much more supple. I find that anything approaching 110psi is both jarring and much less grippy. Maybe if you live in France…

john_l
    Free Member

85psi rear/75psi front on Velocity A23 rims with 23mm tyres. Wider profile rim is excellent.

ourmaninthenorth

Rarely more than 110. More likely ITRO 100 with perhaps a bit less in the front for cornering grip.

I have some Vittoria Evo Corsa CX clinchers, which are designed as an “open tubular”, and theoretically go up to 145psi. They ride great at no more than 120.

My PR3s are never more than 110, even on a crit circuit*

*like I’m ever going to see one of those again… 🙁

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Around 80-90psi seems right for me on 28mm tyres. I weigh 12st (76kg apparently)

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I find anything between 80 and 110psi to be fine, so I go up to 110psi and let them slowly deflate over a few weeks and repeat when they start to feel squidgy.

brakes
    Free Member

same as jimmyjames, I use my bike every day and the psi drops from ~100 to ~80 over the course of a week.
    I run the front at 100 and the rear at 110, because that feels about right – no other reason (23C Michelins).
    saying that, I had the rear at 110 at the weekend and got a lot of flex on when sprinting and the rear end lifted up, came back down a bit sideways and blew the tyre off the rim – blamed a high psi for that (and erratic sprinting).

cp

some manufacturers have pressure charts on their websites/tyre boxes which are a good indicator.

TiRed

120-140 and 72kg. I’m running 23mm Scwalbe Durano plus puncture proof tyres so think a higher pressure improves rolling resistance. It also reduces the time between top ups.

On the Michelin 23mm race tyres, I run slightly less.

crazy-legs

About 100psi for me, bit less in wet weather or on bad roads, bit more on good dry roads. Last week in Spain I was running about 110psi cos the roads were SO good. 🙂
    The tyres on my track bike have 120-130psi.

cp

interesting read, page 31 contains pressure info.

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/shopdata/files/TechInfo2-GB.pdf

molgrips
    Free Member

I run my road tubeless

Oh yes?

tonyd

100-110psi for me, about 80kgs

oldgit
    Free Member

120psi here, bit higher when I was racing. Got a set I used for racing that take 175 max

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Skinny bastard (about 63-64kg). Currently riding with 100psi in the back and 90 in the front. Still experimenting though. 23 mm Conti GP4000s.

LenBuch
    Free Member

Its an interesting thing – harder doesn’t always equate to faster. This is only true on super smooth surfaces ie, a track etc. For typical roads if you are pumpped up hard your tyre will be bouncing off the surface alot and you will infact be loosing speed and efficiency due to not being in contact with the road. So in general, as some have said already, dont go above 100 psi for 23’s.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

So in general, as some have said already, dont go above 100 psi for 23’s

depends on the suppleness of the tyre. 100 psi will feel sqidgy with very supple race tyres/tubs but solid with everyday rubber.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike tyre PSI??’ is closed to new replies.