Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road bike toe overlap. – help please
  • Vortexracing

And before some of you start I know it's an MTB forum but a hell of alot of guys ride road bikes so i thought i would start here.

I've just been to buy a new road bike, and whilst trying it out in the carpark I noticed that it suffered from quite a lot of toe overlap (I think thats the term).

I need a small frame. I'm only 5ft 4" tall with 27.5" inside leg but I have size 8 feet.

I have a cheap ribble winter frame bike that is a little too long for me but it doesn't seem to suffer from this overlap.

Is this a common thing on smaller frames or is it only certain manufacturers that design it this way?

more important is it dodgy when riding or is it only an issue when weaving through traffic and the likes.

Needless to say i'm a bit gutted as I was hoping to have it in my grubby mitts tonight but now I am unsure what to do.

help and advice very welcome

Ta

Dave

Onzadog
    Free Member

I get the same problem on my 56cm Tri-cross. I say problem but it's only when I try turning at the top of my street when test riding after fettling. I've never noticed it while riding properly and I do dodge in and out of traffic all the time. I've even made matters worse by fitting guards. I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, it's pretty normal for road bikes.

crikey
    Free Member

Some bikes do have a bit of toe overlap; I've got an old carbon Trek that has none, then bought a new Scott that does, it's a function of the geometry mainly, although in smaller sizes it's one of the compromises to avoid a super long top tube.

It's not actually that much of a problem, and the only reason you noticed it is because in a car-park, at low speed, you turn the bars more to turn the bike, rather than leaning as you would while riding.

My left hand shoe is scuffed at the toe because of my habit of track standing at traffic lights, but otherwise it's not a problem at all.

Go buy the thing!

GaryLake
    Free Member

God, I get half my foot overlapping on my Cervelo although I think they're quite bad for it anyway. It's fine, you should need to make too many tight maneuvers and you soon learn which foot forward to turn with…

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a 57cm Lemond, and 175mm cranks and size 46 feet, it is usually ok but i have been known to jam my foot against the front tyre track-standing at traffic lights.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

My Giant OCR 3 does it. I think it is due to the compact design of the bike. Only caught my foot twice over 1200 miles on it.

Flash
    Free Member

I get the same thing on my Lemond and like the others above have only ever noticed it when doing turns at the top of the street and the first days of 'new bike' what's this all about.

I've never noticed on the road, or situations where I would expect to notice it (if that makes sense)

barca
    Free Member

I'm a bit confused by the trackstand comment. When I track stand, I have my left foot forward and the wheel turned to the left.
    How are you doing your trackstands mr mo? If you lead with your right foot, shouldn't the bars then be turned to the right? I can just about keep it up (oo-er) with my left foot forward and with the bars turned to the right but it's not pretty. Turned to the left and I'm very relaxed.
    As has been mentioned, toe overlap is more of a problem on some frames than others but will be progressively worse as frame sizes get smaller

Vortexracing

The frame is a 48cm Jamis Xenith comp. It already has 170mm cranks on it and TBH i'm gutted I've had my eye on one of these for 6months or so.

I'm going to go back in on Monday night and try it out with SDP's and my normal shoes. The bike had flat pedals on it. I also think a more normal speed test ride is called for.

The frame fits great, it's only this overlap thing thats put doubt in my head.

Thinking about it a bit more the Jamis is 20mm less in the TT than the Ribble winter and probably has a more sporty geometry . Those 2 factors are probably adding up and causing this toe overlap.

mrmo
    Free Member

i don't tend to favour either foot, which does occasionally lead to a situation where i have my lead foot inside of the front wheel as i straighten up, as i apply power my foot has been known to be in the wrong place.

barca
    Free Member

Have you had a look round to see if there is anything available for you with 650cc wheels?
    When you try the bike out again, put the wheel and forward pedal in the position it need to be in to create the overlap issue and then try to imagine how often you will have the bars turned to that extent when you'll be riding it day to day? I bet it's not often and you will probably find that you adapt to riding slightly differently to counter it.

ahhh, an ambidextrous track stander then mr mo?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Monksie, I trackstand with right foot forward and bars turned left, could be that he feels comfy doing it that way? I feel comfy my way, but I kind of worked it out rather than being taught 🙂

simondbarnes

I have toe overlap on all of my drop bar bikes. It's a complete non-issue, even on the fixie.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Forget about it vortexracing, be aware of it, but forget about it. There is probably lots of riders on here who are riding road bikes with toe overlap and don't even know it. If the frame fits and you are happy with it do not let toe overlap stop you buying.Lets face it your 5'4" toe overlap is gonna be an issue.

barca
    Free Member

Absolutely Trackster, I'm utterly unaware of there being a trackstand law but i do feel all inadequate now. I'm going to force myself into becoming ambidextrous too :-]

Vortexracing

Good point about the 650b wheels monksie, I would if possible though rather keep on 700's

cheers lads

looks like another quick spin on Monday night, just to be sure, then hopefully bring it home.

piccies to follow with luck

Flash
    Free Member

I can't trackstand – am I still a real man?

barca
    Free Member

Mate, sit down, we need to chat……

now then….this "still" of which you speak

🙂

Just buy it if you like Vortex, it'll be right.

wilburracing
    Free Member

Vortex

Just checked both my spesh tri-cross and Felt and I have toe overlap on both. BUT have never experienced any problems on the road. In normal riding you just don't turn the steering that much and also rely on lean to corner.

Just get it bought…sounds a cracking bike 😆

See you morning, weather looking ok but swampies still on September, cant believe it

Vortexracing

I know i've just fitted my swampthings for tomorrow. It's depressing.

and i'll get the Jamis on Monday and hopefully ride to work next week.

C U in the morning

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road bike toe overlap. – help please’ is closed to new replies.