Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road bike thru axle "standards", did anyone adopt 12mm up front?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Initially, it looked like they were going to be happy using 15mm up front and 12mm out back. Then there was some suggestion of a “standard” just for road bikes. Did anything ever come of it?

simondbarnes

Plenty of people now using 12mm front.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Who? I thought most had gone 15mm.

simondbarnes

Actually, possibly not plenty. Had been looking at wheels/hubs, not bikes. Spesh are using 12mm, maybe some others.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Enve,Trp,Scott,Boardman so far.
    Chris King and DT have hubs available,

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, my browsings had suggested specialized were 12 but might tweak it to make it proprietary, trek were 15 and giant were still qr. Probably the more influential brands.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like Scott and Boardman both appear to be 15mm up front.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I did ask before but no one responded. Just how many and what “standards”exist?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Scott
    Might be right about Boardman….can’t find the link now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did ask before but no one responded. Just how many and what “standards”exist?

*yawn* does it really matter?

N+y. Where N is the number required and y is the number of smartarses commenting on the fact they exist.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s so confusing, I found this on the Scott site

15mm thru axle, down in the braking section.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The Cube Attain I’ve ordered on the CTW scheme uses 12mm ones. Hope they’re not obsolete before I take delivery!!

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

Might be right about Boardman….can’t find the link now.

My Boardman (SLS disc) is 15mm on the front and 12×142 on the back. Not sure about their cross bikes though.

oxym0r0n

Don’t even start on the new flat mounted disc brake “standard” 😯 🙄

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

I sat next to the wheel buyer for a major US distributor on the way to Interbike in September and was surprised to hear that the he and the brands he worked with expected 100×12 to be the standard for road front hubs. Not seeing much at the moment (Enve thru-axle CX forks look to be 12mm only), but I had the same question and he seemed to be more in the know than most…

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s the thing, we were all lead to believe that it would become th dominant standard about the same time we were told the flat mount brake standard would dominate as shimano were backing both. However, only the brake standard seems to be catching on from what I can see.

jameso

The good thing about the 12×142 + 15×100 combo for road and CX is that there’s a lot of older 17-19mm rimmed 29er wheels about that make great road and CX wheel sets. 12mm step-down adapters will mean a road 12mm fork won’t cancel that out though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“*yawn* does it really matter?”
    Yes. That’s why I asked.
    Here’ one that confused me.
    A mates Trek 29er has what is nothing but a rear QR that screws into the right dropout. Now that seems silly. Same strength as a QR but without the convenience

Rorschach
    Free Member

Giant do the same thing.12mm axles and hubs are expensive.They can claim to have bolt through on the cheaper bikes without the extra cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A mates Trek 29er has what is nothing but a rear QR that screws into the right dropout. Now that seems silly. Same strength as a QR but without the convenience

You’re going to have to post a pic, the QR skewer in a normal hub doesn’t take any of the weight, so there must be more to it than that?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road bike thru axle "standards", did anyone adopt 12mm up front?’ is closed to new replies.