Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Road bike STI
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Can anyone give me a quick run down on the different systems in use currently? ❓
    I'm considering a road bike and am confused by the different types.
    I understand the cheaper end shimano has a little plastic lever for down shifts that is harder to reach on the drops, and that better shimano and campag doesn't. I've just been to halfords to do the flick the shifters to move the derailleur test (shimano tiagra and SRAM rival) but as the wheels are all tied up I couldn't rotate the cranks to try it in action. I've ridden a bike with the lower end shimano (sora or 2300 I think) and found it reasonably intuitive.
    What is the difference in functionality?
    I notice shimano had indicator windows which I think looks gash on most bikes and even more on a road bike.
    A quick comparison of the different groupsets wouldn't go a miss either, where do they sit in terms of comparison to each other- which is deore which is XT? etc 😆
    Ta

anc
    Free Member

XT equivalent is Ultegra being the next down from XTR Dura-ace in the range. Shimano stuff is great shifts well and is smoother than SRAM Campag IMO. Others will like SRAM or Campag for different reasons, to be honest they're all pretty good.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've never seen shimmy sti's with indicator windows? My Ultegras and DAs don't?

In terms of function, the higher up the range you go, they get slightly slicker, slightly lighter, they all work much the same. Once upon a time I think there was a difference inthe number of gears you can drop at one time with the lower end ones, but that has gone by the wayside now.

Shimmy/Campag/SRAM are all excellent and you can't really go wrong. People all have their preferences though.

ourmaninthenorth

Shimano = Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace (equating to: something(!), Deore, SLX, XT, XTR).

Windows appear on Tiagra only, I think. Deffo not on Ultegra or DA, and probably not on 105. Can't recall seeing them on old Sora, but maybe they now are.

I use STIs (I run Tiagra on the trainer, and Ultegra on the race bike), so find them easy and intuitive to use, whether on the hoods or in the drops. Ultegra do shift more smoothly, with a nice light action.

Never ridden Campag or SRAM. Frinds with both (naturally) swear by them.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

My 105s don't have windows.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not spent a lot of time on Shimano road stuff, but it shifts like Shimano MTB kit – very light action, but not entirely positive. I have Campag on my roadie, and it's more like SRAM mtb stuff – heavier feel, but much more positive and "clicky". IIRC, Shimano integrates the shift into the brake lever in a way that means the brake lever can move sideways as you brake (like the flappyfire MTB levers), whilst on my old Record kit the brake lever only moves in the normal direction, and the shift lever is completely seperate, although moves with the brake. This could have changed now.

Chorus is a little bit below DA in quality, Record a little bit above and Super Record is just downright loony. I think Centaur is Ultegra equivalent.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

My Dura Ace don't have windows, they do have the plastic lever as do all Shimmy brakes apart from one really low end range I recall.

docrobster
    Free Member

The shimano with windows was tiagra- looked a bit cheap TBH.
    What's "double tap" all about?- I think it was written on the SRAM (RIVAL) lever- felt like 1 long push- up a sprocket, 1 small push- down a sprocket. It was in the small sprocket and I couldn't move the pedals so I couldn't suss it out.
    Are shimano down shifts done with the brake lever blade or the little auxillary lever?

njee20
    Free Member

You can get 'fishing float' type indicators on Shimano, which are very neat, the integrated windows on Tiagra are horrible!

The LH shifter on Tiagra is ropey as hell!

Sora has the nasty release lever, the ergonomics of the other 4 is the same, although the quality and feel improves as you go up the groupsets.

SRAM and Campag both have very different shifting methods, both are clunkier than Shimano (be that good or bad), you really need to try all of them to see what you like.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You can get 'fishing float' type indicators on Shimano, which are very neat

And pretty pointless.

ourmaninthenorth

What's "double tap" all about?-

How to shift double tap.

Are shimano down shifts done with the brake lever blade or the little auxillary lever?

Left: small lever. Right: large lever.

Junkyard
    Free Member

double tap is to move the same direction for up or down seems daft but works short movement is up long movement is down

http://www.sram.com/technology/30/tid/brand/sram-road/src/cat

Simon-E

4500 series Tiagra STIs have indicator window.

Sora series, including the current 9 speed, has the paddle to shift one way and a thumblever on the inside of the hood for the other, similar to Campagnolo.

Tiagra (9 speed), 105, Ultegra and DA (all 10 speed) use the paddle behind the brake lever for both. On the RH shifter you push the paddle alone to change up, push brake lever to change down. On the left you push paddle to shift to smaller ring, push brake lever to go to big ring.

Newest series of 105 (called 5700) and Ultegra have gear cables under the bar tape, as per DA. The comic reviewed 105 recently and gave it 10 out of 10, reviewer said it works as well as the more expensive 10 speed systems. Real world differences between the 3 current systems are small.

njee20
    Free Member

And pretty pointless.

I like them actually, look at that a lot more than at the integrated ones on my Tiagra shifters.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like them actually, look at that a lot more than at the integrated ones on my Tiagra shifters.

Fair enough.

docrobster
    Free Member

Right I think I have it now! ❗

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

IIRC, Shimano integrates the shift into the brake lever in a way that means the brake lever can move sideways as you brake

I got ants in my pants about this to begin with too. In practice its a complete non-issue and I never ever 'accidentally' brake when I'm supposed to shift, or vice versa.

So in effect, if you've never had STI's, buy some, you can't go wrong with any mid to high end version from any of the main manufacturers. Decide if you like them, if so, keep them, if not, change. Broadly speaking if you like shimmy 'action' on mtb kit, you'll like shimmy road. If you like a bit more of a postive actuation, go SRAM or campag. If you're a magpie and a tart or the frame is Italian, go campag.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've got tiagra 9s stuff at the moment, it works, and has done for ages, anything else is just 'nicer', the more 'nicer' it is the harder it is to quantify what 'nicer' is.

Brake lever pulls cable, the paddle behind the lever releases it. Makes sense as you can brake and push it down a few gears at the same time ready for the exit of the corner.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have Tiagra stuff on my commuter/tourer/cx/audax machine. Its great. A little clunkier, very grey, but works just fine.

njee20
    Free Member

The brakes are dire though! My Tiagra callipers seized solid within 4 months and no amount of GT85 would revive them! Replaced with 105 which are marginally better, but still have **** all power compared to the Dura Ace on the Madone.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you're a magpie and a tart or the frame is Italian, go campag.

pick the levers that fit your hands and with a shift action you like.
    (exotic italian frame and dura-ace user as i use what i think works best for me not internet forum convention)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*wields cross at MrSmith*

Begone foul deamon of the deep, your practical solutions and impertinant disregard for convention shall not sully this hallowed pages. Be Gone!

DezB
    Free Member

I've got Campag. Down shifts (to smaller ring/cog) use a little thumb lever. Upshifts are a lever behind the brake.
    S'ok.

MrSmith
    Free Member

*wields cross at MrSmith*

it's a pegoretti. hope that makes you feel better.

the little thumblever on campag is useless for me as i have to move my hand off the hood to use it, couldn't see the point of compromising usability because of what other people think.

r.e the OP. the new cheapest 11speed campag or new ultegra would be a good choice.

Simon-E

njee20,

My brakes improved markedly when I changed wheels from the (probably rather worn) Alex DA22 to Shimano RS10. However, if you're comparing Tiagra to Dura Ace then maybe you've been spoilt – in the nicest possible way.

theflatboy
    Free Member

shimano ones have windows, sram ones have snow leopard. hope that helps.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Road bike STI’ is closed to new replies.